Stolen Wheels and Tyres, and truck wrecked

mickeyw

7 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Speechless

How did they turn it over?!

They smashed a window, attached a strap to the steering wheel and pulled it over. All in broad daylight!

Apparently this is not the first instance of this MO in the area.

32 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

I can't believe that :(

Sadly I can. its indicative of the couldn't give a damn society that is being created. Yep there have always been thieves and they almost always did damage but wanton stuff like that is abysmal.

Trouble is they will most likely turn up on e-bay and someone will fuel the fire by buying them.. often to replace stuff they have had stolen.

At the height of the copper scrap price a few years ago we were having earth systems stolen every night, the thief didn't give a toss about the safety of the poor engineer turning out to fix stuff, they walked onto a site and cut the overhead feed to the site stealing the conductors and leaving the bare live cable across a footpath. My engineer turned up at just before first light and caught a dog walker just about to move it out of the way so he could get past.

They were pulling transformers off poles around here with transits. They threw chains over the cables to trip the power then yanked them off with the van. We suffer a few bird strikes on cables so the supply was set to try to reset 3 times before calling someone to fix it. On one occasion it reset whilst the guy was hooking up the chains. He'll never pinch anything again but sadly they changed the rules so they're not allowed to reset automatically so instead of the power going off for 30 seconds you have to wait for a guy to come out in a van. 

They were also using vans to drag phone cables from underground ducts. In the end bt replaced some of the more remote villages with fibre as it was cheaper than keep coming out. 

Then someone pinched all the manholes covers and grates. 

However they're all relatively big things. Scrap on an alloy must be less than a tenner a wheel at the moment and the tyres can't be worth much more than  £100. It amazes me they would take extreme lengths for that. 

If it was down to me I'd just put them down. :/ 

• Like 2

they must be pretty daft since you have to have your bank account and car reg linked to any scrap deal....well in Wales you do.  They started doing that a few years ago to stop idiots nicking railway cables and industrial copper but its relatively easy to trace almost any scrap with the new system...incidentally (if they take the tyres off) alloy is about 50p a kilo

Sometimes the theft of LPS goes unnoticed for a while, depending on the inspection regime but yes traceability has made a fair difference to the number of reported thefts.

Smart water made a big difference as well, enough difference to make me use it at home.

Same rules in England but as always there are ways around it. A lot of the yards don't look too closely at identification and will five you a cheque which you can cash on site if you don't mind losing 15% or so. The local traveller run site will pay out cash no questions asked to their own kind (and others they get to know, they always have a lot of cash to get rid of it seems) as well as offering night time plastic smelling bonfires and a copper grinding service. 

I've always had it put into the bank (which for some reason always seems to take a week which I never understood as they can take it out my bank same day) but last time I went you could still get a cheque and cash it at a shed just outside the gate. It was a while ago, with the price as it is I don't bother much anymore. The nearest one still does cash for the right people I'm told.

Then again the same estate *allegedly* had 2 units raided last week that were drugs factories, has a yard run by Polish that's re-plating cars, one that's sending dodgy trucks to Africa, a farm house used as a knocking shop and gun fights between the travellers and Polish so who knows what to believe :)

2 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

I've always had it put into the bank (which for some reason always seems to take a week which I never understood as they can take it out my bank same day) but last time I went you could still get a cheque and cash it at a shed just outside the gate. It was a while ago, with the price as it is I don't bother much anymore. The nearest one still does cash for the right people I'm told.

Then again the same estate *allegedly* had 2 units raided last week that were drugs factories, has a yard run by Polish that's re-plating cars, one that's sending dodgy trucks to Africa, a farm house used as a knocking shop and gun fights between the travellers and Polish so who knows what to believe :)

Your location doesn't match... but it sounds like you live near me, in Swindon!