Refurbishing cappings

Looking at changing the side panels on my 110 sw to van sides (it has some nasty non standard leaky windows at the minute) and feel I should pay some attention to the cappings at the same time. There's a slightly rusty patch on one of them on the outside, and an even smaller one on the opposite side on the inside. Both look to be where something has hit it. There is no corrosion anywhere else on the cappings, and this is a 1994 model land rover, so I'm assuming/hoping they are galv. There is also some bubbling on the tub around the cappings.

As they are in generally good condition other than the small patch, and considering the cost/scarcity of replacements, what is my best way forward to bring them up to snuff and preserve them? My welding skills are terrible but happy to outsource this if required. I've got some cold galv paint for what its worth and I'm going to be painting the whole landy anyway considering I'm changing the sides, all 5 doors and the bonnet!

See attached photos

Many thanks

th_DSC_0137_zpsklbei59d.jpg th_DSC_0138_zpsz5cfammg.jpg th_DSC_0139_zpsvi0lfcbw.jpg th_DSC_0136_zpsz87vrnmw.jpg th_DSC_0135_zpsjavbdpf9.jpg

I would be very surprised if they are galvanised. Most 90/110/130 have normal steel capping so just painted, I think some early truck cabs did have galv ones. My 1993 110 CSW had ungalvanised cappings.

I'd strip them back, repair as necessary, then ideally galvanise and repaint. But you'd get away with a decent paint job too.

I honestly expected them to be normal steel, but considering all 5 doors have rotted out and the worst the cappings have got is that small patch, they either used very good paint or did something else! It did go through special vehicles and there are a few obscurities, but who knows. Any thoughts on how to repair them?

The best solution is to either buy some replacement (galvanised) cappings and then swop them over one weekend or if you can afford to wait a week or so, remove yours and have them galvanised yourself (being centrally based in Coventry you have reasonable access to several galvanisers so you won't have far to travel).

If the corrosion hasn't taken hold then yours will clean up ok but if it has eaten into the metal then they might not handle the galvanising process too well.

Mine were 12-years old when I had them galvanised and they came up a treat. Then again I had Waxoyled the inside surfaces when new (there was only a blow-over of paint on the underside when I removed them from the tub) so that really helped.

Non in stock, and it's cheaper to raise the price to a stupid level than it is to pull and then re-create the listing. Happens all the time. Put it in your watch list. When they get stock, you'll get an email to say they've reduced the price

Typically most galvanisers will do it on a weight basis and with a minimum fee of say 75 pounds, but you would be surprised just how much you can get done within those limits. I had every single capping on a lightweight, the bumper, bumperettes, windscreen frame, 110 front bumper, door waist line cappings (early 110 with 2 piece doors) rear tub cappings and a pair of rear bumperettes all done within the minimum price/weight limit. This was at a place in Corby

My 1996 110 had cappings that looked great from the outside when I bought it. It was only when I came to fit a swing away to the back that I discovered their true condition.

As soon as I pulled the quarter-light trim, the true horror became obvious.

So don't trust the outward signs! Have a good look before you assume they are OK And I hope that they are of course :mellow:

post-105237-0-55613800-1455020245_thumb.jpg

Fortunately mine look nothing like that on the inside - there's no trim at all in the back section as its ex AA and there was originally a load of racking there. It's not my only motor so I'll go for stripping it down and see what they're like when off. Not sure who I can get to weld the carp section up as my mate who used to do all that sort of stuff for me isn't around any more :( Fingers crossed they are salvageable at all first. Struggling to think what else I could throw in other than the cappings if I'm honest, already got a galv front winch bumper and galv roof rack....hmm.... Anyway I'll try and get it stripped down when the weather is a bit better and see how we go from there :)

Depending on location yes. I usually drop stuff off at my local heavy fab shop for when they go. I've got a frame there at the minute, been there a week now because they said they've got nothing to go yet, would not be in the least surprised if the phone rang as soon as I post this to say it's ready though.....

Did the capping on a Station Wagon a few years back, you can repair them quite easily, but you really need to take them off to do it. I found that one side was repairable, whilst tother side was totalled - the rust you can see will not be all of the rust!

Last year when I was off from work I used Joseph Ash's down In Bridgend(South Wales) 01656 668735 and they did the Galvanising I wanted done on a 3 day turn around but could've done it the next day If I'd had wanted, I had 165 Kg of metal parts(All of the steel parts from a 90-including the bulkhead, battery box and cappings) and it came to £120 inc the VAT, The people there were brilliant and were very busy by the looks of it , personally for me the best plan of action was to buy ordinary steel cappings and then get them shot blasted and galv'd, I got all of my metal shotblasted in my local town(Frome-Somerset) by a polish outfit and they did 54 Items of metal for £240-cash, I now keep fitting nice clean non rusty stuff to my 90 and it's like fitting brand new but not If you know what I mean!!

John