200TDI with no Backbox?

Mark

Managed to bend the exhaust on the disco on sunday, so I started thinking about removing tha backbox and routing the tailpipe to somewhere less prone to damage. However, I have some questions...

1) Will the centre box be anough to keep the noise down to a sensible level?

2) Will there be any issues with backpressure into the turbo?

3) does anyone have any pics of what they have done to thier disco???

Cheers

Mark

I ran my 200tdi defender with very little exhaust for quite a while. This led me to a number of conclusions:

1) people thouoght it sounded good

2) it actually wasn't that loud with a single small silencer

3) it does seem to let the turbo spin up a bit better now i have a standard system back on

All the side exit systems run a single box so there is no reason you can't bin the rear box. all IMHO

got that PITA bend in the pipe on the disco though, if you salvage that it should be a doable job to route the pipe elsewhere after the axle.

EDIT: (3) I mean I think it span up quicker with little exhaust, not that the std exhaust is better.

Geoff - when my exhaust cracked off just in front the gearbox on the downpipe i did run without any exhaust or even a lot of pipe. it was getting on for antisocial, more tube may have helped, it was also a requirement to drive with the window open because the fumes were entering the cab...

I've an idea someone on here is running a Tdi with a straight through exhaust? I seem to remember the verdict was more turbo whistle but other than that the turbo killed the exhaust beat quite effectively.

I could be talking rubbish though :unsure:

Absolutely right.

To my ears at least it actually makes the exhaust note sound better....and still well silenced to boot.

I have done exactly this to my 300TDi and I can't say that the exhaust sounds any different from inside the truck. I just cut the back box off and using a piece of exhaust scrounged from local exhaust place that had a suitable bend in it made a side exit exhaust. like this:-

car013.jpg

I don't know what the scrap bit of exhaust was from but i would guess it was a Van of some kind.

HTH

Pete

Mark, the back box on the 100" fell off about 2K miles ago (on the way to Romsey and beer) and I haven't got round to fixing it.

It makes no noise difference on exhaust not but has cured an annoying rattle. No real performance changes, but if I don't close the rear door properly it gets a bit smelly in the vehicle

i cut my disco's zorst above the axle & put on a straight pipe out the rear wing. i do get a bit more noise, but i like it. seems that if you put any sort of curve in the replacement pipe it sounds almost the same.

i even used the original mounts & the j-bolt off a metro battery tray to secure it all.

post-785-1164662906_thumb.jpg

post-785-1164662916_thumb.jpg

i cut my disco's zorst above the axle & put on a straight pipe out the rear wing. i do get a bit more noise, but i like it. seems that if you put any sort of curve in the replacement pipe it sounds almost the same.

i even used the original mounts & the j-bolt off a metro battery tray to secure it all.

Did you get an MoT with that on it?? I've looked at doing it to our RRC, but am put off by the MoT guidance that says:

"any missing part or a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition."

as a reason to fail it!! :unsure:

Nice solution, though!! Might nick that idea! :ph34r:

Did you get an MoT with that on it?? I've looked at doing it to our RRC, but am put off by the MoT guidance that says:

"any missing part or a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition."

as a reason to fail it!! :unsure:

Nice solution, though!! Might nick that idea! :ph34r:

your MOT man should get upset as long as it looks secure and doesn't leak thats all there really looking for

mike

My Tdi Defender passed an MOT with no silencers in it, no problem. The regulation quoted is so open to interpretation that pretty much anything can pass. For example; what constitutes a silencer? A turbo? A bend in the pipe? I do not think that "silencer" has a definition in the MOT regs.

FWIW, I have no rear silencer fitted now and the exhaust note, standing next to it, is a little "fruitier" than without but is not intrusive in any way. Without any silencer in the system it sounded fantastic at tickover and at lower revs (rather like a MUCH bigger turbo diesel - or something fitted to a cross channel ferry!) but at higher revs it started to sound distinctly chav (IMHO).

Chris

My 90 (disco 200tdi lump) has only the middle silencer and sounds exactly the same as a full system, but then it wasnt loud with no exhaust :)

When i bought the disco donor car it had failed the MOT on the exhaust (amongst other many things) because the pipe near the back box had rotted through and the rear silencer had fallen off, it made no noticeable diffrence in any way (noise/power) on the 100mile trip home

Lewis

For another 2 penneth.......

I have a std mid box with a short down turn after it, not MOT'd like this just how far I got to get it driving.

RRC with Disco 200TDi, not noisy just noticable. 'don't know if it'll pass with out the pipe directing the exhaust away from the car tho..??? .??

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pictures chaps, I decided I should sort this out today, so I did a tour of all the local exhaust places and some motor factors too. Strangely none of them had sections in stock, and very few had any scrap stuff. As a last resort, I went into kwik fit, and they were more than happy to let me rummage around thier scrap area. I managed to find a very nice looking system which had a really long run of straight pipe, and a couple of bends, and to cap it off, was stainless. It looked about the right size and must have come of some high power saloon car. Anyway, I hacked the backbox off one end and the flexi joint off the other, and they were more than happy for me to take it away! Result.

Got home, hacked the back box of the disco, only to find that not only was my bargain bit of pipe about the right size, it was the perfect size to just slide over the existing pipe - double result!

So this is what I ended up with:

gallery_92_215_47335.jpg

The hole is a little low, but thats just where it ended up! I havn't decided if I ought to do something with the edge of the hole in the panel yet?

gallery_92_215_3943.jpg

The new bit is just held on with a couple of exhaust clamps (bringing the price of this mod up to £2.96 for 2x57mm exhaust clamps from Halfords). The fit on the pipes was so good I was utterly amazed! :D

gallery_92_215_24473.jpg

The old hanger was used - bent a bit, and welded to the new pipe. Seems to work well.

Cheers

Mark