Pedal lock boxes are something I've been thinking about!

The main problem with them in general is where to safely stow them in the vehicle. They don't look like the type of thing I fancy being hit on the back of the head by!

What has occurred to me so far is to make two sides of a box which is attached to the floor by a hinge plate. Stowed, it sits on the floor under your feet with one side of the box resting on the seat box. It then folds 90 degrees so one side of the box sits against the A post pillar and the other side, now horizontal touches the top of the brake pedal. To do this, it needs to press the brake and clutch slightly - but on my Defender they push in easily enough with little effort to achieve this.

Since it sits tight against the A post and the bulkhead on the other side, it probably doesn't need sides.

It needs a cut-out where the handbrake is to allow it to fold flat on the floor which lines up with the bonnet release lever. I'm not sure this presents a security problem as the bonnet is just as easy to open from the front as using the lever.

Not quite figured out a decent locking mechanism - but either something that locks round the pedal, or a hardened pin that sticks up into the hole in the pedal box that the brake lever pokes through look favorite.

One option is a sort of ratchet which hooks on the back of the pedal. The lock key just moves the pawl in and out to engage / disengage and the ratchet action ensures it's tight against the bulkhead - kind of like a handbrake lever. The ratchet action would also make it very quick to lock - just push it in to place and walk away.

The inside of the box would be lined with floor covering material so when flat on the floor it would be fairly invisible.

I think if its easy to use and doesn't need to be stowed anywhere - you're more likely to use it even if you're just popping into the news agent.

What I don't know is whether the pedals on most vehicles will push in level with the A post pillar that easily - or it's just mine?

Si

You are definitely right about the stowing of the pedal box being an issue, they are also pretty heavy and as they need to be removed before getting in the vehicle you normally end up climbing into the defender while swinging it about in one hand. Having one that you just flipped would be brilliant :)

however if this was done repeatedly it could wear a hole in the floor covering you planned to line the lock box with.....

I'd prefer that to loosing my 110! I'll be ordering more Laser Cutting soon - so I'll make a prototype!

post-74-0-12536800-1318001201_thumb.jpg

This is how I envisage the lock working. The tab on the end of the lock barrel pushes the spring loaded pawl away from the ratchet allowing the 'hook' to rotate, releasing the pedal.

Si

I'd prefer that to loosing my 110! I'll be ordering more Laser Cutting soon - so I'll make a prototype!

Si

Lol, perfectly understood, just like I prefer swinging a hefty chunk of steel around than losing my 110 :)

You could stick a small bit of stainless where the pedals rubbed if it bothered you....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might sound daft, but if I'm going away for any length of time and the landy's on the driver I remove The steering wheel!

2 min job when i get back.

trouble is the scumbags will just bring another steering wheel with them,as you say 2 minute job

I don't think anyone has mentioned that on 90/110/Defenders where the front seats recline, they also go forward, so the drivers seat back can be leaned forward & somehow locked in place with a big security padlock or other device, must be lots of scope there for a clever person to dream up something.

with the drivers seat leaning forward & secured, the vehicle can't be driven away, but like any other anit theft device, the vehicle can still be 'hiab'd from it's parking place.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that on 90/110/Defenders where the front seats recline, they also go forward, so the drivers seat back can be leaned forward & somehow locked in place with a big security padlock or other device, must be lots of scope there for a clever person to dream up something.

with the drivers seat leaning forward & secured, the vehicle can't be driven away, but like any other anit theft device, the vehicle can still be 'hiab'd from it's parking place.

Calling Mr X-Eng! :P

Calling Mr X-Eng! :P

Cheers!

I have in mind something better! As I mentioned above. I showed it to a few people on the forum trip to Wales at the weekend - albeit as a cardboard prototype, so not quite as secure!

Si

Mind you don't tear the cardboard though Ed :P

Seriously though it sounds like a brilliant idea :)

I can arrange for the most difficult test. Can it survive three labradors? Particularly when one's trained for delivering cardboard boxes to the recipient then destroy the box.

Dave (Nas90) at Cirrus Laser is ordering special tooling to fold the Cardboard and I'm experimenting with Pritt-stick versus Hot Glue to stick the bits together. Where do you buy sticky-backed plastic these days? I fancy a nice wood-grain effect for the outside to make it look very 'stylish' and uber-secure!

Si

Whilst the gaffer tape is nicely sealing the drawn on hinges from muck off the bottom of shoes etc on this prototype, do you envisage any issues with the hinges on later prototypes/production given how wet/mucky that area gets on most defenders?

I'm really liking the idea and will be one of your first customers should you go into production.

One other point ... will there be anything to stop the top hingy bit flapping forward whilst driving and hitting your ankles?

Keep up the good work :)

PS You probably already thought of this but you'll need to box in the rear of the lock mechanism to stop it being released by poking a screwdriver/wire in the side to release the pawl.

EDIT: actually it looks like the prototype has one drawn on... sorry I had missed that

Edited by CwazyWabbit