CV's One Shot - Grease or oil ??

Les Brock

Hi All,

So early casings for AEU2522  with Ashcroft CV's are we all using One Shot grease now or oil.........

Ashcroft recommend CV grease I believe, (which I did have it there), wondered if anyone was still using oil, or even one shot grease and top up with EP90 to the level plug ?

Axle seal is still in.

Mine are now all nice a clean after the strip down.

Cheers

Regards

Les

Same here - I've stripped a couple of axles where the CVs turned out to be ruined because one-shot had been used, water had gotten in, and the grease hadn't been changed. (Because it's not meant to be?) At least with oil you can drain it out. 

• Like 1

Yep, I already had the one seal out from previous experience for the wheel bearings (not that it would helped with me having grease in), looks like oil it will be - going back to oil was my gut feeling, but I'm a dinosaur so thought I'd check :lol:

I've used one shot for the last 15 years and I haven't lost a CV yet. I can't say that is any better than oil but then it hasn't proved to be any worse. One thing I do know is that it doesn't leak out as fast ?

Mo

Yes the seal in the stub axle which rubs on the half shaft. Yes oil migrates in both directions and it dribbles when you take the drive member off. But it keeps the wheel bearings and drive members nice and wet. Having had a drive member/half shaft rust into oblivion when it still had seals in the stub axle I doubt I will ever refit them. The oil also ensures that the upper swivel bearing stays well lubricated.

• Like 1

While I understand why LR changed to the greae I do not think it is a satisfactory replacement for the oil the swivel was origially designed to use. Short of dismantling the swivel I do not see how one can check that the grease is in place and in good order, or replace it to the correct level.. Mostly it seems to be treated as a put in and forget arrangement, and that means when the grease is done so is the bearing. If the swivel leaks badly the answer is to repair it, not put in grease. If it leaks the water can also get in destroying the grease. And I agree it is better to let the wheel bearings run in oil, but the later drive flanges can leak, letting oil on the the face of the wheel. I cured this problem by using the stronger type with a screw on cap with O ring.

On 08/04/2017 at 1:41 AM, neil110 said:

The later swivel housings AFAIK have neither a hole for topping them up or a hole for draining them which means you are really stuck if anything goes wrong

My 98 D1 has a fill hole so i just added 150ml of 90 diff oil to what was left of the one-shot grease, no leaks after 10years.