Shelving

Right, following a delivery from Sam (L19MUD) yesterday, the next phase of knocking my workshop into shape is underway.

The pile on the middle will be replacing the motley collection of shelving and the old wardrobe behind it. Not totally straightforward as the pallet racking is taller than the space available, so the uprights will have to be shortened, and more inconveniently the two bays I've bought from Sam add up to more than the length of that wall. The plan is to install one bay as is and then shorten the cross bars of the other bay to fit - which will require cutting them and welding them back together. Undecided as yet whether I'll retrieve my welder from the mate who currently has it, get some gas and tackle that myself, or just pay the local agricultural engineers to do it for me.

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.43a83efe0bd75e369255f73c1428f948.JPG

So far so good.

IMG_1171.thumb.JPG.0a4edceb5efde4608f36ddc7dab8f7d0.JPG

Unfortunately it was only when investigating a sloping shelf that I realised there are three different specs of cross bar in the set Sam sent me - 06, 08 and 12, with lower numbers appearing to be higher rated (at least, they're more solid). Naturally I've managed to mix them up, so I'm going to have to dismantle them and rearrange them.

I've also made the top shelf too high, I need to drop it down a hole. It'll be used for long term storage of planked wood, but even so it will be too impractical once the rest of the loft is boarded.

Amazed how much stuff came off the old shelves - I can barely move in the rest of the garage.

• Like 1

Very nice, makes some of my ramshackle affair look rather flimsy. Are the stronger shelves supposed to be used at the bottom perhaps, where it is more likely heavy stuff will be placed?

Decent storage/shelving makes such a difference, I had a load of stuff kicking about the floor and it wasn't until I made a big HD shelf the length of the building and stowed it all up there that I realised how much space it was wasting on the floor.

I know how much space I'm wasting at the moment - hence the shelves :)

They probably were originally lighter at the top (or maybe zoned bays for different storage). I'm going to use all the heaviest beams in this bay, as the rest will need to be shortened anyway to fit in, so they're unlikely to be carrying as much weight. Is guess they're all plenty strong enough for my purposes, though.

Sorry Geoff - Had totally forgotten to tell you that there are matched pairs! I have made sure you have the correct pairs to make level shelves across both of your bays.

I tend to put the ones that have the bars welded closer to the bottom as the bottom shelf just because it gets the shelf closer to the floor. I had not noticed that some were stronger than others....they seem to all be the same to me, just welded at different positions to the bracket.

Yes I have some more of it if anyone is interested! This lot made its way from Suffolk to Somerset :D

There's a noticeable difference in weight and rigidity between the grades, though I'm sure that as long as you aren't exceeding the load limit of the lighter bar it won't make any difference if they're mixed, as long as the bracket types match. I've got three different brackets here.

I've gone for the brackets with the beam near the bottom at the bottom of the bay too, for the same reason. I've only got one pair of them, but the other bay I'm going to start the shelving further up anyway, and leave room for the mower and maybe shredder underneath (at the moment the mower doesn't really have a home and constantly moves round as it's always in the way).

Working on it as we speak... :lol:

I've got these shelves, loft boards and a couple of cupboards going in. In addition to likely keeping at least one of the current small shelves, and I'll eventually rack a lot of the hand tools on the back wall. Plus the 8' trailer basically gets used as a big cupboard for the camping gear.

If that lot isn't sufficient I need a bigger garage...

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to work out what I can fit in my garage. I was set on having 2 bays as an L shape in one corner but now I’m thinking it may be easier to have them along one wall, but that then means there could be space for a third one. What’s most useful - racking or floor/circulation space? The whole idea is to make it easy to work on the car, so I don’t want to be squeezed in by racks, especially as I don’t have a huge amount to fill them with (yet!). Main worry is that I buy 2 and then wish I’d got a third!

Thoughts of those who’ve been there, done that much appreciated!

Richard

I worked on the basis I wanted to be able to get the range rover in with both doors open and walk around it so didn't let any racks, cupboards or benches encroach that space. The only time it became awkward was either down to me dumping stuff on the floor, using a hoist or crawling under the car as you seem to need a lot of leg space. Most of my equipment is on casters so worst case I can wheel it out whilst I'm working. At the moment theres no car in there and it's a complete dump with piles for each ongoing project so it's kind of a fail at the moment :(

49 minutes ago, SPendrey said:

How do you get the car in, when you've built a wall where the door should be?

It's a security feature :P

That's the back wall of the garage - the door is opposite with the shelving down one side. Although you can't get a vehicle in anyway at the moment because there's too much junk (and the trailer) in the way. Which the shelves are supposed to be sorting (at least the junk side of things).

Done some measuring up for the other bay - there's a bit more drop to the floor at the front of the garage, but sadly not quite enough to take the beams up a full notch (75mm between notches, 65mm drop in the floor from back to front of the garage).

Plan A was to raise the upright on a wooden base like I've done for the middle one, but I'm not liking the height of it, even if I buy some wood that'll do it in one piece :

IMG_1237.thumb.JPG.34a75c103c858c9e3136859751a0f8fb.JPG

IMG_1238.thumb.JPG.036192971b3129caa61ca2fbb89eee34.JPG

As I've got to cut down the cross beams anyway plan B is to weld the brackets back on offset by 10mm so I can use the next notch up with the upright stood directly on the floor.