Found a new game - MOT history checking...

Maverik

So just perusing the latest offerings on ebay mainly for entertainment value, and I've been doing a few MOT history checks on some of the more exuberantly priced vehicles... then comparing them to the sellers ad's... usually independent garages, and usually Defenders from the mid 90's.

Tut tut there are some porkies being told out there, wish this was around when I bought my truck, great tool for would be older vehicle purchasers.

I'd highly recommend it, great fun.

Mav

Another useful little trick is to start listing a classified ad on autotrader. Enter the reg of the car you're 'selling' and it gives you some data and if there are any insurance markers on it.  Do that and the Mot history and you get all the info provided by Total Car Check for nowt.. 

• Like 1

I have to say you are pretty slow on the uptake on this one :D

Just to add to the hours wasted wisely spent try looking up the registrations of all the cars you have owned to see if they are still about and what they have been failing on!

• Haha 1

It's definitely something you have to consider these days when selling a car too.  Any potential buyer can so easily check the MOT history, if anything relatively major has come up in the past (mainly rust) it's going to be very difficult to sell.  Recently sold a disco 2 which had failed on rust in the rear end, therefore had to take detailed photos of the repairs that had been done (it was a very good job) or most people wouldn't bother viewing. I can understand it from both sides, i've dismissed cars that have previously failed on rust because most repair jobs are pretty poor.