During my time at Honda Swindon, every single engine was started and checked for leaks and general operation. This was done as a production line operation immediately after final engine assembly.

The engines stayed hanging on the overhead coveyor but slotted onto the ‘bench’ with the conveyor there out of ‘gear’. They were quick coupled up to fuel and exhaust extraction. I think there were five benches at the end of each of the two lines, so the cycle time was x5 the other assembly production operations but even so, it was quick.

The best was that the pass rate was around 99% (some quick adjustments allowed) and the no-touch pass rate was still high 90s. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

During my time at Homda Swindon, every single engine was started and checked for leaks and general operation. This was done as a production line operation immediately after final engine assembly.

The engines stayed hanging on the overhead coveyor but slotted onto the ‘bench’ with the conveyor there out of ‘gear’. They were quick coupled up to fuel and exhaust extraction. I think there were five benches at the end of each of the two lines, so the cycle time was x5 the other assembly production operations but even so, it was quick.

The best was that the pass rate was around 99% (some quick adjustments allowed) and the no-touch pass rate was still high 90s. 

With that experience I could do with you here......

Regards Stephen 

Just a suggestion; while you have the engine out and easily accessible, do or at least check the timing belts. A neighbour had a 1uz in a land cruiser (apparently they bolt straight in)and he remarked a belt failure is disaster, they need to be kept on top of.

2 hours ago, fmmv said:

Just a suggestion; while you have the engine out and easily accessible, do or at least check the timing belts. A neighbour had a 1uz in a land cruiser (apparently they bolt straight in)and he remarked a belt failure is disaster, they need to be kept on top of.

It's on my check list anyway, also it depends on the age of the engine, some of the earlier ones you could snap a belt with no damage, the later ones were interference fit

Regards Stephen 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Ooops - here I was thinking we were guessing the weight of the 1UZ... :hysterical:

Not that different to the Tdi I'd suspect.

That is very light indeed , you need some soft ply tyres to suit now. Shame ATV/Mule tyres don't come in your size:)

Good result

Steve 

• Thanks 1

That's about / just under the standard weight of a stock 109 van body I think, and about a ton below the average fully kitted UK challenge 90 :lol:

As suspected bu&&er all weight in the body, I think soft springs & good shocks to keep it from rattling you around too much

Guess it depends on what rating they are? Assuming you're talking about the dampers here rather than the springs (which are technically the shock absorbers on the suspension)... If they're designed for a heavy vehicle then they could give quite a jarring ride, the same as having stiff springs.

I do remember seeing tables of vehicle corner weight vs. desirable spring rate for different applications. Now you've got some numbers we can start comparing them.