Breakdown cover

ianmayco68

Hi all , I’m with Adrian Flux insurance and I’m looking for breakdown cover as with most on here proberbly all I really want is a lift home with the truck , so 1st off is Fluxes recovery any good and if not who would you all recommend AA , RAC OR GREEN FLAG which I worry about because of the size of the truck (110) and how many recovery trucks they have big enough, 

cheers Ian

I tend to alternate back and forth between the RAC and the AA.  The main issue (in my case) is whether there is a "maximum age of vehicle" clause.

I also purchase the AA/RAC membership through cashback sites, like Quidco.  It takes months, but you will get a good chunk of your money back!

I find the the insurance add-on recovery to be much cheaper than the AA and RAC et al and don't have the age restrictions that the big boys have, typically 10+ years.

I have only needed it once, in Northern Spain, and they were prompt, efficiently conveyed my 90 to a suitable garage and followed up immediately afterwards with both myself and the garage to ensure the vehicle had arrived.

Far better service than with the AA following a broken rocker shaft in Wales which was absolutely dire and incompetently handled.

HTH

Mo

If all you want is a guaranteed flatbed taxi with no hassle, Britannia are who I've always used. No age/weight faffing about or grumbling about trailers, they won't try to fix anything, you just get a flatbed every time.

My cover (deluxe?) covers a specific vehicle (currently the ambulance) anywhere in Europe, as well as ANY vehicle I or my partner happen to be sat in if it breaks down.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If all you want is a guaranteed flatbed taxi with no hassle, Britannia are who I've always used. No age/weight faffing about or grumbling about trailers, they won't try to fix anything, you just get a flatbed every time.

My cover (deluxe?) covers a specific vehicle (currently the ambulance) anywhere in Europe, as well as ANY vehicle I or my partner happen to be sat in if it breaks down.

Currently I've only got the Mini with its included break down cover. But I was with Britannia Rescue before with the pug and they were great. Only used them once, but rang up and explained the symptoms and that I think its the clutch thats gone. No hassle, recovery truck arrived in less than an hour and just took me and the car home. 

On the other hand, one of the girlfriend's friends had a horrible experience a few weeks ago with the RAC and was left on the side of the M40 for hours. I can't remember the whole story but they were left for hours on the hard shoulder, then moved to the service station and then had hours to wait again. Eventually ending up having to leave the car (and keys hidden) and take a taxi home. 

Cheers all . My Dad would never touch the RAC because he had hassle with them years ago , and I called the AA out once on home start bloke looked and messed told me what it was gave me a receipt type thing to say what he'd found . I took it to the dealers told them what was wrong went back to collect when it was fixed and they asked who'd told me what the problem was , I said AA the bloke laughed and said the AA bloke didn't know what he was on about it was something totally different . Think it might be trying Adrian Flux then as I get a discount because I've got there insurance .

cheers Ian 

With rac, and left on the side of the road for 4/5 hours, then was finilly dropped home after they subbed the job out as they don’t actually have that many tow trucks! 

Then proceeded the chip all the curb stones outside my house........ 

but to be fair I have heard waiting times are similar with AA. 

Edited by joe1joe

I go with Green flag after reading through the small print - also they are the only ones that provide trailer cover as standard, so if I conk out towing a 3.5 ton trailer with something on the back it's completely covered.  Some of the others don't cover 'old' cars either, but they're happy with my 35 year old Rangie. Costs about £2.50 a month so pretty happy. 

46 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

I go with Green flag after reading through the small print - also they are the only ones that provide trailer cover as standard

I'd beg to differ, Britannia has always covered trailers for me no questions asked. Had 2 trailer breakdowns with them (both wheel bearings!).

The AA and RAC are more about trying to fix things, they have very few actual flatbeds hence long waiting times as they can't tow a 4x4 on the standard dolly behind their transit vans. Also, they send a bloke in a van (or on a motorbike!) to have a poke about 1st so they can say they were with you within the hour, even when it's obvious they should send a flatbed.

I must admit I was with Greenflag on the wife's policy when I had the disc 3 the alternator went I got it home phoned them and they said find a garage and we'll fetch it and deliver it to them for you , and they arrived bang on time and delivered it was impressed with them . Have just looked on there site and prices are reasonable so might go with them .

50 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd beg to differ, Britannia has always covered trailers for me no questions asked. Had 2 trailer breakdowns with them (both wheel bearings!).

The AA and RAC are more about trying to fix things, they have very few actual flatbeds hence long waiting times as they can't tow a 4x4 on the standard dolly behind their transit vans. Also, they send a bloke in a van (or on a motorbike!) to have a poke about 1st so they can say they were with you within the hour, even when it's obvious they should send a flatbed.

I agree with you Fridge,  Britannia do cover trailers. The brought the caravan home when we had a whoopsie years back. 

1 hour ago, Eightpot said:

I go with Green flag after reading through the small print - also they are the only ones that provide trailer cover as standard, so if I conk out towing a 3.5 ton trailer with something on the back it's completely covered.  Some of the others don't cover 'old' cars either, but they're happy with my 35 year old Rangie. Costs about £2.50 a month so pretty happy. 

I would check that if I were you. They would not cover my 90 at 32 years old. Their limit is 16 years I have been told only today !

As it goes, I have been looking into this myself...............

With the exception of the RAC, even if you have full UK breakdown and recovery, all companies will try and drop you off at a local garage and avoid "any destination of your choice within the UK" 

Britannia have an age limit of 25 years I seem to remember finding in the small print ?

And despite a recent TV advert, I gather that any "off piste" recovery will be chargable,  if they will do it at all.

Its a bit of a minefield. 

I have several vehicles so for me, personal membership is the only way

I'm with RAC and broke down towing a Sankey with the 109 a few months ago. I called, explained that a Sankey can't be towed with a normal hitch, and they sent a contractor with a flatbed big enough to put the 109 plus trailer on. It took a few hours because I had to wait for that particular truck to come off a previous job, but it got there and got me home. 

I have to admit, I was expecting a nightmare conversation, and to have to pay for moving the trailer separately. As it happened, the conversation was straightforward and they even took my word that the gearbox was shot and wasn't going any further. No fuss about the vehicle, trailer, location or that I wanted to go home and not a local garage. Needless to say, I'll be sticking with RAC! Service throughout was excellent too, they called me every half hour with updates and to check I was OK while I waited.

i have a nationwide flexplus account which has breakdown cover with brittania. i had a wheelbearing faliure on my trailer on the m25. it was a big trailer and loaded with a car. it took several hours to even get a van to me, he then took the wheel off and we limped to the services. a hour or so later 2 recovery lorrys turned up, one to take the trailer and one for the car that was on it. the car made it home that evening the trailer took 2 weeks. not a perfect experience, but it was a difficult recovery as the trailer is right at the max length for recovery. the reason it took so long to get the trailer home was they where trying to find the parts to repair it so they could tow it to me instead of flatbeddimg it back. problem is the parts are hard to get.(infact i ordered them 3 weeks ago, still havent got them.)

however, still a better experience than the rac, and it was their subcontractor that let them down, not brittania themselves, who where going spare trying to g et recovery to me(snow)

Edited by qwakers

I have mine with green flag through the caravan club, it's myself and my wife in any vehicle up to 3.5 tonne, they will take us to any single destination, if I can't drive but the vehicle is ok they will provide a driver, if I can drive but the car is shot they will take us and the caravan to our destination then take the car to be fixed and return it, if it's not fixed by the end of the holiday they will tow the caravan home. But it's £100 a year and I've never needed to try it so I can't say how good or bad it actually is.

I used to have free cover with either my insurance or bank account I can't remember which, my wife misfuelled the car once, a private company turned up in about an hour but in a pretty daggy old spec lift truck and would only take her to the nearest garage, no attempt to fix on site, so it was pretty basic cover. Luckily she was near home so it worked out ok. If you go for a packaged one make sure you know what your getting.

The AA claim to have a diagnostic machine on every vehicle but seem reluctant to use it, if you go with the AA and need them to come out I would push them to use it (assuming your not in a 25 year old land rover) as it saves you the cost of having a diagnostic check done elsewhere. From my time as a marshall at a P&P site the AA wouldn't recover anything dirty or from the offroad site. We had to jetwash them and push them onto the road. One guy I know broke down on his way home after giving it the minimum effort lights and numberplate wash and the lorry saw him from the otherside of the motorway and didn't even stop, he got a call saying the vehicle was too dirty to recover. Their procedure also seems to be to try to fix it first even if you tell them it can't be fixed so you have to wait for 2 vehicles.

My parents needed the RAC out last week as they got 2 punctures. It took them about 4 hours to arrive, they took them and the wheels to the nearest qwik fit then back to the car. Luckily there was a pub nearby so it didn't seem to bother them too much.

Edited by Cynic-al

13 hours ago, smallfry said:

I would check that if I were you. They would not cover my 90 at 32 years old. Their limit is 16 years I have been told only today !

As it goes, I have been looking into this myself...............

Had my '91 defender covered with them for three years - when I sold it in Feb I called customer service who happily moved cover onto an' 83 Rangie and sent a new contract out.  

So dunno, maybe there's other options if you call rather than buy off the 'net? 

13 hours ago, smallfry said:

With the exception of the RAC, even if you have full UK breakdown and recovery, all companies will try and drop you off at a local garage and avoid "any destination of your choice within the UK" 

Britannia have an age limit of 25 years I seem to remember finding in the small print ?

And despite a recent TV advert, I gather that any "off piste" recovery will be chargable,  if they will do it at all.

I can only go on my experience of Britannia which is that they have never batted an eyelid about recovering the 109 (built 1979) or the ambulance (built 1988) or either plus a fully-laden car trailer.

Also, they have never shown even the slightest interest in taking me anywhere other than wherever I tell them I want to go - Glyn Neath to Basingstoke is the longest so far, with a truck-swap half way.

Off-road recovery I can't comment as I've never needed it with them, I don't off-road alone and our club (Shire LRC) try to never leave anyone stranded.

Off-road recovery with the RAC I do have experience of - totally useless! Got my company transit stuck down a green lane / access track (went down, couldn't get back up!), called them, explained it in detail, told them they would have to send a 4x4. Very long wait later an RAC man turns up... in a transit! No way he's getting it down a lane & back up with another transit attached. Much head scratching, eventually they said they'd have to call a "local contractor" which turned out to mean getting a recovery company about 50 miles away to fire up their 6x6 Scammel and trundle it 50 miles :blink: so probably a 2-3 hour wait. I told them to shove it and (against company policy) got a mate with a 90 to nip round (as it was now knocking-of time) and drag it out (with inevitable mickey taking).

Mind you, the RAC also sent a man on a motorbike to "see if he could fix it" when a colleague's transit threw a piston through the side of the block on the motorway. Love 'em!

A friend was going to a site way down south, about 5 hours in a car. He went down the night before and got nearly there when everything on the dash went off but the car still drove. Carried on to the hotel, left it for the night, next morning wouldn't start so got a taxi to his job and back. Went to drive home, still wouldn't start so called his free breakdown and told them he wanted taking home. Eventually a bloke in a recovery truck, with a flat tyre and a headlight out turned up and they set off, bloke rang his boss on the way, had a huge argument where he told his boss to stick his job, the bloke dropped him and his car at the recovery depot and went home in the recovery truck. He sat there until the early hours of the morning when eventually the mechanic agreed to take him home. Dragged out another well maintained recovery truck and loaded the car except that one cut out every 20 minutes and they had to stop, leave it a few while when it would eventually restart and carry on. What should've been a 5 hour journey home turned into about 30 hours :wacko:

A customer asked me to drive a Defender down to Italy for him a few years ago just before Christmas - the alternator bearing quietly siezed going onto the channel tunnel, snapping the water pump belt.  I found out when the lights went dim driving out of calais at 10pm in pitch blackness as Calais was having a power cut. Engine boiled, and after sleeping in Sangatte layby, hobbled back to the port in the morning with a cooked engine and no electrics, filling the engine from each stream we passed with an empty coke can. 

We made it to the tunnel and managed to limp off the train, and my mate called his recovery service - free with his bank account. This turned out to be a relay service, each driver only being allowed to drive for 50 miles before unloading the car, we then had to wait for another truck from a different company. For some reason, none of the drivers could take us the direct route to Birmingham, so we went via Essex and Lincolnshire!  I think we had seven changes over about 14 hours :wacko:

There really does seem to be great variance in what is written down in print and what they actually will do.

I used to be member of the RAC, mainly because my best friend was a patrolman and it was the Full Monty for very little. I had two recoveries  with 12 years in between. First one was the clutch diaphragm breaking up in Astra diesel. You could hear the broken fingers tinkling about in the bellhousing so obviously no clutch at all. They wouldn't take my word for it of course, and sent a man in a van to have a look before being recovered home. Was only 35 miles but ending up taking six hours. Other than that was fine.

Secondly, owing to a masterstroke of design forethought, again on an Astra diesel ( I love them, sorry ) The nut on the oil pump pulley.......cambelt driven........came undone. It COULD have been threaded to prevent this, but no. Also, as there is no key, the pulley just spins. Anyway, no oil pressure obviously, so I had to call them out to be recovered. Again, wouldn't take my word for it, and once again sent a partrolman to confirm what I already knew, despite me telling them that I was Toyota time served. Body and paint though, didn't mention that :lol:. Several hours later a subbie recovery truck turned up, and was somewhat upset that he had not been told that he was going to have to drop me and the home, 150 miles away. The car was 150 yards up a private access road to a farm, and refused point blank to reverse his truck up to the car, and despite my insistance the car could be started without damage, would not do it. I phoned the control again, who said there was nothing else they could do as I was "refusing" recovery, and the the engine had likely had it anyway.........It wasn't as I did another 80k on it.......... As it was winter and was so effing cold, and I was quite peed off by then, I marched back to the car and drove it down. Went home in stony silence. That one took ten hours.

After that I didn't renew.

Any breakdown is going to be a load of hassle, so I suppose on reflection, despite whatever the experience, one should take solace in the fact that had we had to pay the full price of these recoveries without cover, it would be crippling.

I am still looking ATM. I do not like or want anyone else fiddling with my vehicles so all I want is to be recovered home. Nothing else. 

I've been with ADAC for a few years as the cover is for the driver not the vehicle - meaning you are covered in any vehicle. Renewing is done by phoning Germany as I'm not prepared to send CC numbers via email or hardcopy. I've never had to use them yet as I usually get free recovery included with new vehicle warranty. Think I might change this year though....

A friend had a car immobilized in a multi story, I forget what was being with it but it wouldn't roll. They sent a guy in with a transit who couldn' fix it. So they sent a recovery truck which of course couldn't get in the multi story. So they got a guy with a van to drag it out all wheels locked. The problem was he put the tow rope through the bonnet and out under the car which caused a fair bit of damage to the front. I think the repair estimats were around £7000 insurance company prices and I think the insurance company ended up repairing it as there was something in the small print saying the recovery company wasn' liable for damage. 

My wife and I are with ADAC, and they have been fine for the two occasions my wife has needed them. Cover all over Europe for a lot less than the AA etc wanted. Although it is call Germany to get help they speak English happily enough if you ask.

Lots of input there seems to be good and bad stories about everyone, perhaps it’s a case of who you get and which area your in . Might give Flux a call as there selling it to you knowing you have an old Land Rover so shouldn’t be any surprises.

cheers Ian