Hand pump for oil change

Mutley

Ok so changed the oil in the transfer box on my Defender 90 300Tdi.... i do about 5000 miles a year so not much, but do like to change all fluids once a year. So i have done this a few times! I just don't remember putting the new oil EP90 in being that difficult in the past!?!

So what are you guys using to get the oil into the Transfer Box? I have seen the 500ml syringe and the small pump bottle, i appreciate with EP90 it's going to be slow going in but what make and model pump type do you guys recommend for the job?

Cheers Andy 

I have a modified propane cylinder.  Dip tube to the bottom and a means of introducing compressed air to the top.  There's a gate valve and spout at the end of a long flexible pipe.  Connect it up to about 20 psi and crawl around under the vehicle to top up gearboxes & axles.

We use for the oil changes a Pela 6000

9200000059080745.jpg

Heat up engine (=oil), take out dipstick and pump it out.

Works also very good for the other oils.

To fill the gearboxes, we heat the oil and use a tube with a funnel on the end and and fill it from way up..

Ok so i have realised why it was harder/more difficult this time to refill the TB!!!..... Being a complete Muppet i used the WRONG filler hole!!!.... Instead of using the one behind the handbreak drum, i used the one higher up nearest the passenger side up by the chassi rail! Doh.... it's gotta be an age thing!?! Just glad i actually put EP90 in and not ATF!!!! Any way have just checked taking off the right filler plug, it was about 500ml over filled and has only done 5 mile, so some sort of result at least???

I just use a garden sprayer (quick search reveals they're about £8 from screwfix).

Fill up with oil, pressurise, insert nozzle into transfer box, place rock on trigger, play with dogs and suddenly remember to go and check on it, usually just after it starts pouring out.

Cheap enough to keep one per kind of oil. 

Having remembered which filler hole to use on the TB, i also remembered what i use to fill it with

20180917_090734.thumb.jpg.89ab1484558285e01d1f403c5ce96df5.jpg

The spout fits the filler hole nicely plus has a screw on cap untill you are ready and with it having a screw on lid, once the flexi spout is in the filler hole just rotate the jug upside down and let it drain, i use the 1Lt jug so 2 and a bit and we are good to go!.....Memories a wonderful thing!!!!!

I've had one like this for years. The spout has a 90 degree bend that's ideal for filling main or transfer gearboxes.

https://www.workshopping.co.uk/product/gear-oil-transfer-pump/TP67/

I also have a similar but almost antique version that I use for filling our tractors with  hydraulic oil. I picked it up at an auto jumble years ago. 

I just use one of the old 500ml gearoil bottles, the type that came with a pipe with a hook on the end that fits in the fill hole & a straight pipe that fits on the inside of the bottle cap & goes to the bottom of the bottle so squeezing the bottle pushes the oil out form the bottom.

OK so I have to refill it a few times - which I do in an old washing up bowl so any drips are contained - but it works & cost nothing :)

• 3 weeks later...