Overland caravan build

The only other interesting vehicle at the campsite.

IMG_20231027_101239.thumb.jpg.8de8075f8ed29e6db4a9940862b47a3d.jpg

Only two wheel drive and 6.5tons, the box wasn't much bigger than ours but it was just a guy and his dog. I suspect he's a van lifer as his pitch was a seasonal but didn't ask.

Our trailer worked very well obviously cooking was all in the back of the ibex and toilet was a porta loo (the site has no facilities). The awning was just a basher tied to the roof and held up on fibreglass poles. Again it worked well but was very temporary, it did however allow us to work out how we want the awning to work. There are a few off the shelf awnings that might work but most seem to be airbeam (I'm not a fan) and polyester rather than canvas (we want canvas due to using the wood burner).

IMG_20231028_104551.thumb.jpg.11c776b62fb508f1e9642d7170d8d40b.jpg

Quick view of the aero mods.

Mike

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, hurbie said:

if you want canvas , have a look at the Howling Moon brand , very heavy canvas and wel made . also 1 of the more afordable awnings on the market.

i think that flatdog sells these.

That's what we have and it can be mounted in a sleek oblong box with hinged front face rather than a zip bag. The canvas stops a lot of heat coming through, as well as being waterproof - often more useful.

55 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

None of the land rover style awnings are tall enough our mounting rail is 2.5m off the ground.

Mike

you could mount the pole's to the side off the caravan , that way there long enough , something like this :

https://www.reimo.com/nl/kampeerartikelen/luifels-onderdelen/dakluifel-bestelbus-luifel-bestelbus/1577/fiamma-f80s-dakluifel-2-9m-voor-bestelwagens-en-campers.

We've ruled out all of the land rover style awnings as they simply won't work with what we have or want. It needs to be 4m long 2.5-3m wide and mount at 2.5-2.6m high and still clear the door around 2-2.1m at 5he top. It needs to be fully enclosable and canvas because we plan to use the wood burning stove in there. We've seen some caravan/motorhome awnings that might work.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wytze said:

The first picture show's how big the trailer is.  If it work's as it looks, it's a great build

Ironically it's not until you take it to a proper campsite that you realise actually how small it is. There was about 6 other caravans of similar size the other 40 odd were either bigger or absolutely massive. It also proved our point of how antisocial normal caravans are we were the only nutters sat outside. :blink:

Mike

• Like 3

7 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Ironically it's not until you take it to a proper campsite that you realise actually how small it is. There was about 6 other caravans of similar size the other 40 odd were either bigger or absolutely massive. It also proved our point of how antisocial normal caravans are we were the only nutters sat outside. :blink:

Mike

I know what you mean.   Bigger unit's with less people😁😁

I found I got annoyed on our recent trip. Huge motorhomes with two people sometimes towing a box trailer.

Inside the trailer … an ATV so that the people can drive around locally.

It wasn’t once or twice.

The level of consumption of ‘stuff’ is staggering.

IMG_1452.thumb.jpeg.5de197c6a45ebc9a6459d74d678db2f4.jpeg

IMG_1461.thumb.jpeg.30c0aa6525c68a5dff3cecb92719819d.jpeg

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, miketomcat said:

we were the only nutters sat outside. :blink:

when we were camping with the 110 and the Oryx trailer , we had people stop buy and ask if we could not sit inside , because we were outside all the time 🙂 

On 10/29/2023 at 7:39 AM, Peaklander said:

I found I got annoyed on our recent trip. Huge motorhomes with two people sometimes towing a box trailer.

Inside the trailer … an ATV so that the people can drive around locally.

It wasn’t once or twice.

The level of consumption of ‘stuff’ is staggering.

We found that in Alaska, our rented F350 camper was usually the smallest thing on site. One site we camped behind a Canadian chap with a Volvo estate and a small Eriba bathtub caravan, we were having a very similar conversation and he said "talk about conspicuous consumption, eh?" - there were motorhomes there that brought along their own patch of artificial grass & plastic picket fence to define their own (not so) little fake garden in front of their behemoth. Usually just a retired couple in the thing.

This sort of nonsense was far too common:

IMG_4889.JPG IMG_4814.JPG

They usually have ridiculous features like granite worktops and of course at least one absolutely huge TV :rolleyes: and of course a built-in generator to annoy everyone else with.

3 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I won't derail anymore but at one site I thought I would Google a model there which was a Flair by Niesmann-Bischoff. Unbelievable pricing, depending on options, of £250-300K.

No where near that much, but my parents are swapping to a sensible sized motorhome (4 berth, 6m long I think) and its crazy how expensive they get, and very quickly at that!! 

I can see how a couple would end up with some kind of monster motorhome with a trailer/car in tow. I got chatting to a guy a few years back at a caravan club site with a monster US RV and it's their home. They live full time after downsizing their house and renting it out (so a future safety net in case of il-health).