When will it end?

Mad prices for Defenders/Land Rovers

My local dealer just sold a derelict 300tdi for £4,000

Chassis gone, doors corroded, bulkhead shot, interior like a rats nest. Running but no MOT requires full restoration 

l think there’s some crazy buying right now, with people jumping on anything Defender shaped.

l mean, there’s thousands out there, they are not rare. I can understand it to a point with TDCi as they are still pretty new. And early series 1 as they are classics. But the older ones, before long they’ll be Ferrari money the way it’s going.

This craziness has been going on for at least this last 12-18 months ive been looking .  I sold my last 1985 118k 90 4 years ago , it was fully rebuilt 5 years before i got it , nice straight no issues and sold it for £2200 and thought i had done ok . Just got another after searching for one not like what you describe above , And found 1996 105k 300tdi ,  body work is ok but there's corrosion under the paint in places etc , overall its ok but not as good as my last old girl (maybe 😢) ,  but had to pay £6800 for it , originally it was listed for 8K . There was a 6000 watt power inverter worth £800 ??? in it a bit of a bonus if i can sell it , But still Silly money , Any less money  and were nothing better than scrap . I agree totally mad mad mad

Just to chuck my hat in the ring , I think its always been this way . Around 30 years ago I turned down a real Mk1 Lotus Cortina , ally doors, the works , for £800 because my girlfriend at the time ( now the current Mrs Kerby) wanted a Capri , I paid the same money for a M1 AVO Mexico six months later , both of these cars are silly money now , I bought a 2.8 I Capri for £2500 and sold it for £1500 a few years later as the cost of insurance shot through the roof thanks to the scrotes of the day stealing hot hatch backs and trying to drive them like a rally driver , without wishing to sound boring these cars were almost ten a penny and looking back I want to stab pins in my eyes for letting them slip through my hands , but surely its all relative . I wasn't in the market for Landys at the time but I know lightweights went for peanuts back in the day . I totally agree with neil110 above , the scum bags that prey on our beloved Landys deserve have their fingers put in a vice and gently smashed with a 2Lb ball pein . 

Just a foot note to the above , my Mrs has just reminded me that the  Lotus Cortina argument was closer to 40 years ago and that I had also got stung buying a 1600 GT Mk 2 Cortina that turned out to be a complete shed of S*** and wasn't a GT at all just a standard Mk 2 with a GT dash :blush:

On 11/29/2018 at 11:03 PM, Mo Murphy said:

The idiots who pay big money and fuel this price boom will move on hopefully, once the new ''Defender'' comes out and the sheen fades from the ''classic'' 90 and 110.

Mo

The other theory is that with the new Defender looking less and less like the Defender we know, current owners will cling tighter to what they have, therefore reducing supply. I don't see many 300tdis for sale these days.

I think Puma prices are crazy, but I don't think 300tdi prices are crazy. They're not much more than I paid 8 years ago, but it certainly is harder to find the one you want.

.The demand for Defenders in the US has a lot to do with the price shift.

The £/$ rate has been favourable for a while, and hundreds of the best early Defenders have gone over. They trade for much higher values there, so they are happy to pay over the odds for the right car.  300tdi's will be eligible for import soon so watch out for the next price hike..

20 hours ago, HampshireHog said:

Roger Clarke , twin 40s , jumpers as goal posts ,etc , etc . Ive just made an awful mess :unsure:  

OK!!  they have 'classic' status - but I have horrible memories of back-breaking weekends with the things.

Mr. Chapman arranged his twin-cam-chain drive so it ran up the front of the block - in front of the water-pump! So when the water-pump failed [which it did regularly if you were in the habit of taking the engine to its design 6500RPM limit] you had to remove the entire camshaft-drive enclosure and chains to get access to the water-pump.

On a Lotus-Cortina there was room-to-do-this if you had slender arms/fingers. Do it on a Lotus Europa and you'd be wanting to outsource the fiddly-bits to a double-jointed dwarf! And you could be sure they'd be back inside a year to do it all again....

[Worst job I ever did was replacing the handbrake-pads on an E-type Jag. They have inboard discs fitted either side of the diff... and precisely-zero access-space]

It is true that Ebay prices for Defenders can be a bit silly.

But if you refine the search to “sold” then many are relisted time and time again.

Also our local lndy gets very good prices for their stock, as there’s nobody else round here selling them.

But it was one of the guys there who told me that at the auctions they can’t buy anything worth selling for under about £5k.

We used to be able to buy our issued Defenders at work when they were replaced at eight years old, the price you paid was based on the last few trade auction results - two years ago an eight year old Tdci 90 was around £5000 + vat, now an eight year old tdci 90 is fetching £11000 + vat.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:03 PM, Mo Murphy said:

The idiots who pay big money and fuel this price boom will move on hopefully, once the new ''Defender'' comes out and the sheen fades from the ''classic'' 90 and 110.

Mo

Respectfully, i have to disagree with you here. The new 'Defenders' (and i'm using that term loosely) are so far removed from what an actual Defender is like to own, drive and utilise that i reckon it will actually increase the value of our motors. There will certainly be people out there who will buy the new one and think they're part of the club (will anyone here wave to someone in a new Defender btw?) but all it will really do is keep the brand name in focus which will, in turn, make the older ones even more desirable.