New workshop project

I just replaced them with slightly shallower pieces of timber. Gives me about 1/4” of clearance to roll the welder underneath. Vice is bolted on.

Spent the second half of today up in the loft putting insulation and boarding in - gets rather hot up there in this weather!

4 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

if I don’t succumb to heat exhaustion

I'd wager not many times anyone living in Scotland has said that 😉

Looks good James, I know this isn't exactly a priority, but I couldn't help but notice the bench where your welder is has tree-meat work surface.  Are you going to put a bit of plate on top?  I waited far too long to set up something so that I didn't need to weld on the floor or holding the work in a vice, and it's one of those 'why didn't I do this years ago' moments!

It’s unreal. Down in the main area of the building it’s quite pleasant with a breeze coming in the open windows/door, but you climb up the ladder and as soon as you get to the loft level the temperature rockets. Hopefully the insulation will help with that in the future. I can feel a breeze running from the eaves up over the top of the insulation between the rafters though, which is good to see.

The workbench will get a steel top yes. I shall endeavour to try and fit it before too much junk gets moved in!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally managed to pick up the door this week and have fitted it this morning. It’s got an internal channel stay that holds it at around 90 degrees, I can get a bit more than that if I adjust it. I can add a hook at the bottom for if I want to have it open on windier days.

I now realise that I should have gone for a half-glazed door as it would have looked better, but I’ll have to live with it!

38787166-BD15-4861-9174-3D52F8AC0CAB.thumb.jpeg.c75e6560475b4bc7b23fa2144cc67260.jpeg

6E35CA65-0ACA-440C-8546-B7812F44D600.thumb.jpeg.d08d6bc9789d119d0dcc5dec9d67fa3d.jpeg

On 7/11/2020 at 11:29 AM, Retroanaconda said:

now realise that I should have gone for a half-glazed door as it would have looked better, but I’ll have to live with it!

Looks to me like in its place you have a giant dry-wipe marker board.  Seriously, give it a bash.  Perfect for those long lists of parts you need for your latest rebuild...If it the ink doesn't rub off easily, just go over the it with the pen again (after all, what better solvent is there to dissolve something that the stuff that's actually used in the pen to keep the ink liquid).

• Like 1

That is a good idea, I’ll give it a try!

Left to do....

Complete insulation & boarding of roof, insulate and board the vehicle doors, some minor trims on the exterior, downpipes and drainage, landscaping out the front, and a mini-shed out the back for the compressor to live in. So plenty to keep me busy.

Been doing more today. Got the ring main for the sockets competed and have sorted some more shelves on the workbench wall.

F45A4ACD-2B1A-4929-9871-B67BFE8A38B9.thumb.jpeg.a8d517695c74ade28736b2cac6ebf304.jpeg

AFE412CC-F3A3-4059-B577-1D6EF05432D3.thumb.jpeg.ed795fa4dd528816a40a46f72aad717b.jpeg

• Like 2

There are no lights in the roof, but I might add a small one on each side, that can be switched on if I’m up there looking for something.

As for the 110, realistically a little way off yet. I need to finish the roof insulation before I bring the last load of bits up, so that I can stash more stuff up there. And bringing the rolling chassis itself up has to wait until all that is done. If it happens before August is out I’ll be doing well I think. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

That is a good idea, I’ll give it a try!

Left to do....

Complete insulation & boarding of roof, insulate and board the vehicle doors, some minor trims on the exterior, downpipes and drainage, landscaping out the front, and a mini-shed out the back for the compressor to live in. So plenty to keep me busy.

I believe James has thought about this!

Steve

• Like 1

+1 for proper lighting in the loft space. I didn't do that in the last garage and always regretted it. I had a flourescent lead light permanently up there on an extension, but it wasn't as good - and it was a PITA when I needed the lead light elsewhere! 

• Like 1