86 Defender110 Hcap .. engine replacement

Hi,

Not been on for a while as I’m been feeling glum about my 1986 110 Hcap (2.5D)

It already has had a replacement engine before I bought it, so I got it with a Disco 200tdi engine.

Sadly the block is indeed cracked on the Disco 200Tdi engine (I was hoping that it was the head and someone had just put sealant in to hide it, sadly not).

So my question is, given that I want to keep the vehicle, what next replacement engine do folk recommend I put in it please? 

Another ex-Disco 200Tdi or something else?

Many thanks

Keith

I think this is really a question that only you can answer as the options available are only limited by your budget, ability and imagination. 

We can just talk you through some of the options or give opinions.... 

Another 4 cylinder Land Rover diesel: 200 or 300 Tdi if you are happy with a standard replacement. Engines are cheap and freely available. 

A 2.5 petrol engine? 

A bit more work and money, Td5. 

More work, money and imagination: a non Land Rover diesel/petrol engine. 

Even more work, money, imagination and power: a cumins 6 cylinder diesel. 

I guess that’s fair enough. I was hoping to be as authentic as possible, and so, in theory, trying to source a 2.5D engine would make most sense, but apart from being a bit weak, a competent engine may be tricky to find.

Otherwise I guess it’s a matter of what fits in without having to do too much to the chassis (which is kinda ok but not perfect).

Anyone else with a view on what would fit in well? (Given that it’ll only be carrying light loads mostly)

thanks

A 2.5 na would be a simple engine to fit in. People often remove perfectly good ones in search of more power. You might even be able to find an ex mod one that has been rebuilt. 

They are slow but they are a plodder, reliable and strong engines. Would also make your LR have that stock look which is my personal preference. 

• Like 1

You could put a request in the wanted section of the forum. Someone on here may have a perfectly good one sitting in their garage. 

There is this one on ebay that is an mod rebuild. 

Screenshot_20190924_071534_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by monkie
Extra info

For ease and cheapness, go 2.5na, 2.5td or 200tdi. 300tdi would be easy, but you'd need new engine mounts. You can make a 2.5 na better, Turners performance head, advance the fueling, straight through exhaust, still won't be a 200tdi, or even 2.5td, but it will be better and will last forever. It must be decent because the British Army used to rally that exact set up.

Personally, if it has a 200tdi in it I would put exactly the same back in! It's a good engine and sounds more than adequate for what you want plus you will probably end up with some good used spares from yours to keep on the shelf

No messing about with different engine mounts or exhausts. No wiring to change. No pipes to change 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, monkie said:

A 2.5 na would be a simple engine to fit in. People often remove perfectly good ones in search of more power. You might even be able to find an ex mod one that has been rebuilt. 

They are slow but they are a plodder, reliable and strong engines. Would also make your LR have that stock look which is my personal preference. 

Slow is an understatement. I would think that would be an appalling thing to do, I can't see the op really liking it once done. A 110 is arguably under powered with a Tdi engine, removing it for one with less than half the power and a lot less torque would make for a horrific vehicle to drive.

Op - what do you want to achieve with the vehicle and what do you use it for? Tdi engines are ok, but they are unrefined and very noisy. 200's also seem thin on the ground these days and are a lot more money than they used to be. Fitting a 300Tdi will actually involve a fair amount of work, so much so that it may be hardly anymore work to fit a Td5, which is a much better engine.

A Rover V8 would also be a reasonably easy swap. 

Thanks all.. that’s given me a good selection to choose from.

The pickup itself is really just going to be used for light work, mostly ferrying garden junk and various bits and pieces to the recycling centre.

I guess it would be nice to have it in original 2.5na format with the upgrade head that Turner can offer .. but it’s not cheap as well as potentially not powerful enough. 

So I shall think on..

Edited by Keith1984
Typos

There is always the 2.5 5 brg. petrol if your annual mileage is not high . A much under-rated engine , quiet , smooth and fairly tuneable should you feel the need . Original it may be but the 2.5 n/a is very slow and creating a good one from an unknown will cost £££'s .

cheers

Steve b

• Like 1

Just to throw the Labrador into the squirrel enclosure; If you're not doing many miles a V8 would make it far nicer to drive at the expense of some fuel money. For an '86 110 it would've been a factory option.

Something 3.9 or bigger with EFi would haul a 110 around in a low-stress manner and probably even nudge 20mpg if you are reserved... might even put a smile on your face too ;)

On 9/24/2019 at 12:45 PM, Chicken Drumstick said:

Op - what do you want to achieve with the vehicle and what do you use it for? Tdi engines are ok, but they are unrefined and very noisy. 200's also seem thin on the ground these days and are a lot more money than they used to be. Fitting a 300Tdi will actually involve a fair amount of work, so much so that it may be hardly anymore work to fit a Td5, which is a much better engine.

Which is why here in South Africa 300tdi's sell for a premium and Td5's at a huge discount if you can find a mug to buy one.  The engine is a design disaster from top to bottom, costs a lot of money to keep going and is desperately unreliable.  I can provide a list of what is wrong with the engine if anyone wants it!

Many people here want to replace the TD5 with a 300Tdi but the problem is sourcing a Tdi bellhousing which is hard to find. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimAttrill said:

Which is why here in South Africa 300tdi's sell for a premium and Td5's at a huge discount if you can find a mug to buy one.  The engine is a design disaster from top to bottom, costs a lot of money to keep going and is desperately unreliable.  I can provide a list of what is wrong with the engine if anyone wants it!

Many people here want to replace the TD5 with a 300Tdi but the problem is sourcing a Tdi bellhousing which is hard to find. 

Same in Canada, if you watch those Britannica Restorations YouTube videos.  I’ll be keeping my 109 and RRC as Tdi until electric conversions have the range and cost to be viable to me.  They’re a little raucous, and perform less than the bigger V8s and later diesels, but Tdis are very simple and reliable.

55 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Same in Canada, if you watch those Britannica Restorations YouTube videos.  I’ll be keeping my 109 and RRC as Tdi until electric conversions have the range and cost to be viable to me.  They’re a little raucous, and perform less than the bigger V8s and later diesels, but Tdis are very simple and reliable.

This is why I've said the new Defender will only be a Chelsea tractor for rich folk who live 10 miles from the nearest JLR dealership, and will never go off road or out into the wilds.

2 hours ago, JimAttrill said:

I suspect that is rather unfair to the Td5, it passed all of the MoD durability tests and is based on the proven L-Series architecture. It has a few issues, but no more so than almost any other modern engine from other car makers IMO.

In return you get a lot more power and torque, lot more tuning ability and a much more refined engine. There are also plenty in daily service still and lots of high mileage ones.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I suspect that is rather unfair to the Td5, it passed all of the MoD durability tests and is based on the proven L-Series architecture. It has a few issues, but no more so than almost any other modern engine from other car makers IMO.

In return you get a lot more power and torque, lot more tuning ability and a much more refined engine. There are also plenty in daily service still and lots of high mileage ones.

Some people, in the more wilder parts of the world, don't want ECUs.