2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

It's loose in the hole, as the hole is too large, but I can fix that with a suitable spacer. No problem.

I'm a little concerned that the pivot lever is closer to the bulkhead on this, compared to the zenith, but that's easy fix by using the inner hole, and removing the surplus bit.

So that's not a problem, either.

22 hours ago, Gazzar said:

It's loose in the hole, as the hole is too large, but I can fix that with a suitable spacer. No problem.

I'm a little concerned that the pivot lever is closer to the bulkhead on this, compared to the zenith, but that's easy fix by using the inner hole, and removing the surplus bit.

So that's not a problem, either.

A file, a drill, a hacksaw/grinder and a piece of steel and you could make a plate that put that link anywhere you like!  Though if a simple hack like that is good enough, that's even better.

Yes, the pivot on the throttle body is easily removed. I could probably fit the zenith pivot with a few tweaks. But I'll try simple, first.

You are quite rude. That "damn-fool" made an excellent suggestion, and is a respected, experienced,  although ( enjoyably) quite eccentric, member of this community.

Apologise to that person, sir.

A cable is a good plan, especially with the VW adapter, however I'm hoping to keep the vehicle as close to the 1972 truck that came out of Solihull.

I say TRUCK, as that's what the Director of Quality Assurance at Rover called it:Screenshot_2020-07-31-07-45-54-148_com.microsoft.skydrive.thumb.jpg.cd66369abfbf64576438ad20a5b9ae54.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. That bloke Lr17H. He's not real you know?

Ah but yeah,  the length of the job-title's a clue?  "Director of Quality Assurance". I 'kin ask you? Some spineless cnut whose greater achievement is a CV made to plead for his very existence? And you, you appear to want me to validate this apologist? Jeez, he refuses to recognise his mother-tongue, now he bows and scrapes, nay simpers to an American? To an American?

Now, let's have this straight:  when their boss comes to 'Buck Pal', he's the social inferior... AND we make damn-sure he knows it.

Never should we let them forget this. Be a Brit for chrissakes.

“People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans." -   Prince Philip

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, Gazzar said:

Now, to my mind, that's no more Heath Robinson than what Bowie suggested:

IMG_20200729_212725.thumb.jpg.8065174fb1b59c9a5211bc5632b60ea4.jpg

this looks quite like the joint used to steer the brake vacuum flap on a diesel SIII air intake! 

Well there's a surprise? Seems the last eBay 17H, by the standards of others, went fairly cheaply. Poor hiding-something pix, timing and an 'Arthur Daleyesque' moniker wouldn't have helped, but even so. Near half-price? Seller deserved a mild kicking, and he got quite a severe one. The vagaries of eBay, eh?

You know what this means, don't you???  There's still hope. The return of heaped-up 17H lumps - with 'knuckle-draggers' begging us to take them away - is but days away.

17H £700.png

Edited by Landrover17H

1 hour ago, xychix said:

this looks quite like the joint used to steer the brake vacuum flap on a diesel SIII air intake! 

Yes, you're right.  Landrover used the same part in many places. This reduced costs, and is one of the reasons they are relatively easy to restore, as parts can be repurposed.

Look at the engine block of the TDI, and compare it with your series diesel. Familiar?

Would a standard series back box be too restrictive for this? Or would the exhaust have cooled down and contracted sufficiently by the time it reached the back box for it to cope? I mean an aftermarket box, assuming that genuine are no longer available.

I'm thinking of ditching the SS back box, as it looks like it doesn't fit, and am considering alternatives, ideally something that makes the truck, half-tonne air-portable, sound like a series.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Would a standard series back box be too restrictive for this?

I honestly doubt it's worth worrying about at this stage, although I can vouch very firmly for Longlife in Basingstoke, they've done several exhausts for me.

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I honestly doubt it's worth worrying about at this stage, although I can vouch very firmly for Longlife in Basingstoke, they've done several exhausts for me.

Just on that topic, what would be a ball park figure for a stainless V8 system without manifolds but with two silencers? I’ve been quoted £1300 plus vat locally but not sure how that compares against what others have experienced.

55 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Could you get manifolds made for yours? Looking at mine, there's not that much to it, bar thick plate.

I could yes, but at the price I’ve been quoted for the system along it would probably become very expensive and I don’t need the extra power that they may or may not bring so I’m happy with cast manifolds.