Driven: New Defender - On & Off Road. Is it a Pretender?

I think the issue is that each TR mode has a specific engine map, so that means different emissions profile. 

But yeah, this is why my mate struggled the first time off-road - none of us knew about this and just assumed that once he set the TR mode, it would stay there. 

Edited by Naks
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:24 PM, Naks said:

I think the issue is that each TR mode has a specific engine map, so that means different emissions profile. 

But yeah, this is why my mate struggled the first time off-road - none of us knew about this and just assumed that once he set the TR mode, it would stay there. 

This thread has solved the mystery of why my Mini doesn't stay in sport mode then!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, landroversforever said:

This thread has solved the mystery of why my Mini doesn't stay in sport mode then!

my cupra when put into cupra mode, only stays in cupra suspension & steering when the ignition is cycled, you have to re activate cupra mode for the throttle map

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elbekko said:

Yup. Any new car requires a bit of pre-flight button flipping (drive mode, stop/start, lord knows what else)

With my Land Rover 110, I do have to hold down my pre-heat button for a while before I start it.  That's already more button pressing than I like.  You can keep your new cars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

ZA review at a local 4x4 trail, with an old 110 accompanying him.

I've done this trail once or twice, and it's NOT as easy as it looks, especially seeing that we've had torrential rains in the past few months & weeks.

Edited by Naks

Nice to see one with the rear locker used off-road.

The TFL guys just took delivery of their base-spec 110, with only the off-road options selected:

Should be interesting what they do with it, they were talking about Moab, so should be fun to follow.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elbekko said:

The TFL guys just took delivery of their base-spec 110, with only the off-road options selected:

Should be interesting what they do with it, they were talking about Moab, so should be fun to follow.

I think they're going to regret getting that front middle seat instead of the fridge!

On 10/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, elbekko said:

Just watching those guys and came across this 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 8:51 AM, jason110 said:

Just watching those guys and came across this 

There's a follow-up to this: basically after 24 days of ownership, it's been at the dealers for 20 of them!  Because the case has a bit of a profile, JLR sent an engineer to sort it out.  At the time of filming, all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't get Humpty Dumpty working properly again!  A bit of a confidence killer.

20 hours ago, Red90 said:

It is pretty sad when a factory engineer can't figure out the problem after a week.  With an engine that has been in production for a couple of years.

Imagine being a normal owner, where your only hope is the barely over minimum wage monkeys to troubleshoot.

The problem could be the computer programmer who decided that light had to come on any time a cylinder misfires.  The environmental cost of chasing that problem has been a kazillion times higher than ignoring it - but you can't ignore a light which implies imminent danger!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deep said:

The problem could be the computer programmer who decided that light had to come on any time a cylinder misfires.  The environmental cost of chasing that problem has been a kazillion times higher than ignoring it - but you can't ignore a light which implies imminent danger!

You think your brand new luxurymobile that you spent a normal person's yearly salary on should misfire and be ignored? Do you work for LR QC?  ;)

The thing is, how many of us are surprised by this?  I was expecting more instances of this sort of thing, and I suspect it is happening, but the motoring press have been charmed and decided to favour this model, so I strongly suspect the reliability issues will be hidden or at least not reported from a combination of bias, personal benefits for journalists, and them not wanting to admit their gushing praise was ill founded.  I’ll bet there are many hundreds, even thousands of normal owners with no voice and no clout being given the runaround over faulty Pretenders.

The Facebook groups would not suggest that this is the case. I’ve only seen one case where a vehicle had a gearbox loom fault and was replaced. Other than that there are lots of infotainment glitches (recent update seems to have helped with many of these) and the odd trim issue (A pillar rattle recall for example) but nothing serious. Of course I’m not sure how much of a representative sample the groups are, though there is a wide range of owners from the commercial contractor users through to people with the top spec 22” rim “more money than taste” versions.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Red90 said:

You think your brand new luxurymobile that you spent a normal person's yearly salary on should misfire and be ignored? Do you work for LR QC?  ;)

Nice one.  They didn't even know it had misfired until they plugged a diagnostic tool in.  Quelle horreur!  My new car is only 99.999999999999999999% perfect.  It must be replaced!!

• 1 month later...

Yesterday the club went to the dunes, one of the guys brought his ND.

I was expecting it to get stuck often, but it ran rings around all of us.

The only time he got stuck was when he tried deliberately to do so by doing a short run-up and to test extended mode + ATPC.

Orxy 20201216.JPG

• Like 4

18 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Beautiful shot Naks! :D 

thanks!

I posted a link to the video here: 

You will see how most vehicles struggled in the soft sand, and how the ND didn't.

Edited by Naks
  • Like 1

Beautiful location and photography.

The new model should do well, with all those electronic gadgets - that’s the whole point.  The worry is the reliability and the lack of adaptability of the vehicle.  Not much risk for him taking it to a place like that with so many other vehicles alongside, but would you venture out alone in one?