35 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

ouch, nasty, make sure you cleaned it well

shorts are not what you need to be wearing when metal working, ask me how I know,

neither are training shoes ( not that you were wearing trainers ) especially when you drop a 12" 4 jaw chuck into them, again, ask me how I know lol ? Regards Stephen

I wear steel caps, shorts and long sleeve hi vis for work, straight to working on the 110. The side plate got pulled from my hands on the linisher belt and projected into my leg pointy end first. Long pants would have done nothing but add more foreign bodies to the wound in this case. I did have my safety glasses and ear muffs on though 😆

I knew as soon as it happened and put my hand on the wound. Turned off the grinder, removed boot so I could go wash/wipe. A quick dressing, bandage and off to the Docs. By the time I got there the dressing and bandage were soaked through and blood running down my leg like the photo.  She wasn’t stopping lol. 

It was too much of a hole, too open to suture, so has been packed with gauze each day. Hopefully it will come together enough early week for them. (Btw I did it Tuesday arvo) 

43 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Ooh nasty, ... I hope it missed everything vital.   I guess overalls are too hot to wear but might have helped.

So far so good but it’s bloody sore. Walking on flat ground is ok but stairs and turning a complete bugger.

On commercial job sites ( high rises, mines etc) Long pants are mandatory. Safety is OTT, one concern is skin cancer (our UV etc extremely high here) but they don’t seem to care about heat exhaustion 🤦🏻‍♂️

Im in domestic so wear shorts, but long sleeve work shirt all year round.

Given I’ve been working on the 110 for 3 years, I’m going ok and haven’t had any other injuries on it other than junk in my eye, and yes even wearing safety glasses. 

Just have to switch on a bit more. I was complacent I think…

• Like 1

Ouch.

I had a small injury recently, sat with my dog on my knee - a working spaniel, and he saw a squirrel, in launching himself of my knee his claws tore through my jeans and ripped open my balls. I had no idea they could bleed that much.

So looking at that massive spike of metal makes my stomach turn.

5 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Ouch.

I had a small injury recently, sat with my dog on my knee - a working spaniel, and he saw a squirrel, in launching himself of my knee his claws tore through my jeans and ripped open my balls. I had no idea they could bleed that much.

What I'd give for just a ripped open ball lol

Couldn't resist @Anderzander sorry 

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Ouch.

Yeah I try and keep things away from my balls ( except attractive women) … 😬

Heads really bleed, I mean really! Had a surfboard fin to the head once, not bad, but it bled so much. I knew it was bleeding, paddled back out to my mate (amongst the others) and casually said “ have I got something on my face” 

Their reaction was priceless… from shock to anger telling me to get out! (Sharks)

😆😆

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

ouch, nasty, make sure you cleaned it well

shorts are not what you need to be wearing when metal working, ask me how I know,

neither are training shoes ( not that you were wearing trainers ) especially when you drop a 12" 4 jaw chuck into them, again, ask me how I know lol ? Regards Stephen

Old boss of mine once dropped a record 23 vice on himself…. Whilst wearing flip flops :lol: 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

A longer example of a leather welders apron might be a useful compromise in these conditions.

A google starter search for '10'.

Regards.

Yep probably would have helped. But they are very hot and bit of a pain when going from sitting/laying on ground to the grinder etc and back again. I just need to be less complacent. 

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Old boss of mine once dropped a record 23 vice on himself…. Whilst wearing flip flops :lol: 

Oh and I completely missed the irony of the situation!

The weeks prior he’d bollocked me for not wearing my steelies in the machine shop at work :rofl: 

Suffice to say a safety flip flops only past this point sign was made for his office on his return! 

• Haha 2

Nothing to add other than I’m starting to think (a little more seriously) about a M57N swap… I just don’t like the HS or 300Tdi , the 200 I don’t mind but underpowered, hard to get, usually high mileage and some parts are a bugger to get or discontinued. Td5 not bad but cost won’t be a heap cheaper , and I know what I’d prefer….

If I do it, it will be with the BMW 6 speed manual.

Looks like I’ve got more research to do 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by uninformed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:43 PM, Daan said:

Very neat. I personally made it into a box section, to avoid the mentioned mud accumulation problem. but that does not stop mud accumulating above it...

Daan

You are right. We had a guy run over a weighbridge before/after an event in a quary. The after weight was 220kg bigger excluding used fuel. The quary wasn't even that muddy but of course material was shifted by the wheels during the day 🙂

The leason I learned was, that there is no point in hunting excess weight in unused brackets and such, if you have mudtraps/material shelfes somewhere/everywhere. On the other hand, all I have managed to do so far, is to make a couple of flaps behind the front wheels so that shelf (torpedo outrigger) is dealt with 🙂

/mads -Who is heading for the workshop

On 2/15/2022 at 8:17 PM, toenden said:

You are right. We had a guy run over a weighbridge before/after an event in a quary. The after weight was 220kg bigger excluding used fuel. The quary wasn't even that muddy but of course material was shifted by the wheels during the day 🙂

The leason I learned was, that there is no point in hunting excess weight in unused brackets and such, if you have mudtraps/material shelfes somewhere/everywhere. On the other hand, all I have managed to do so far, is to make a couple of flaps behind the front wheels so that shelf (torpedo outrigger) is dealt with 🙂

/mads -Who is heading for the workshop

Still worth hunting any of the weight as it still makes a difference to that final weight! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Still worth hunting any of the weight as it still makes a difference to that final weight! 

Exactly!

my 110 was ~2200kg as a tray back if memory serves me. Taking 200mm out of the chassis will have reduced the weight by 2/5ths of fark all. So I have only added weight at every turn. All my suspension links are heavier than Factory, my axle assemblies are heavier than factory, my chassis is heavier than factory (added fish plates, rear crossmember) My Lt230 is heavier than factory (reduction gears, hydraulic pto) ….etc,etc

While the weight I’m removing by drilling holes may also be 2/5ths of FA, at the very least it should balance out if I get those items HD Gal’d. To be honest, I like the look. I was always drawn to earlier race cars without knowing why. I think it’s their simplicity, functionality and look like something a guy could build in his own shed if he put his mind to it..

And all too often I see modified 4x4s with plates and brackets made from 1/4” and up plate when it’s just not necessary and sometimes worse from a engineering standpoint

• Like 1

Exactly too!

I’m at about 15kg of weight saved from various things, I’ll be adding more than that onto the car but it still offsets some of that added weight. 

There’s so much in the way of aftermarket (and custom too!) stuff that assume thick plate is stronger just because it’s fatter, rather than engineered stronger. Dare I say it - the Americans are the worst for it! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Thanks mate 👍

Still getting funds together and a bit off that. As well as trying to learn about them and gearbox set ups. My initial thoughts are to buy a runner (will be older than that) drive a little to make sure it’s what I want, then jump in head first. It will mean I get all the bits I need even if I don’t know what at first, plus I should be able to wreck the rest.

btw that seems a bit high for a engine alone but I haven’t been looking at that end?

the newer stuff could also present some problem or more complexity? 

It seems the alloy blocks have piezo injectors while the older iron blocks have solenoid type. I’ve heard the piezo are not as reliable and more sensitive to water???

Steep learning curve.