Led headlights

I had these, or a copy, but they looked exactly like this and the light projection on the road was certainly not like in the picture, I had a small rectangular light on the road :D Went to the garage to try and set them right but even that guy couldn't get a decent light projection out of it so I just threw them in the bin.

Edited by Landy7

I fitted some off eBay that were a bit more expensive and I wasn’t impressed , had the same trouble at the test center the mechanic who I know well couldn’t get them rite . I ran them for a year or so and didn’t like them so I changed them to svx ones with the sidelight in and night breaker bulbs and they’re better . Will be better still I think when I do the wiring mod for the headlights. If I was to buy led again it would be the trucklite ones but with all the theft of landy bits I’m not sure I want to spend that much money to have them robbed.

Oh well , I was reading that there are no laws regarding led lights, their are for halogen ect e marked , but led none. I bought these to see what they are like. I mean where does everyone think the rest of the led stuff is made, its CHINA , I'll look into the led headlights and see what the law is , if they are square light beam just return , its worth a look and see look at this article https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlights-legal-in-the-uk/

Seems their is no law regarding led headlight units E marked . I ll see what the beams like. I'll post pic 

Edited by andy _1

Not so, there are laws covering this. You can read about it here where it clearly states that head lights must meet regulatory approval standards ie you can't just fit any old light whether that be halogen, led or otherwise. 

Post 1986 or so headlights must be e-marked. The cheaper LED ones on eBay and the like almost certainly all have fake e-markings, the usual giveaway is that they are also sold as ‘DOT approved’ - an American standard that is not relevant in the UK.

Proper branded ones like Trucklite, JW Speaker etc. are okay, and the likes of Britpart etc. sell some approved ones as well now. But I’ve never seen the advantage or benefit over well set up halogens.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Post 1986 or so headlights must be e-marked. The cheaper LED ones on eBay and the like almost certainly all have fake e-markings, the usual giveaway is that they are also sold as ‘DOT approved’ - an American standard that is not relevant in the UK.

Proper branded ones like Trucklite, JW Speaker etc. are okay, and the likes of Britpart etc. sell some approved ones as well now. But I’ve never seen the advantage or benefit over well set up halogens.

The date is 1st April 1986 "must carry an approval mark or British standard mark.... No wattage requirement..."

13.  Definitions–

In this Schedule–

“approval mark” means either–
    (a)

a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 12 or 13 or 14 or 16 or, in the case of a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph, 27 or 28 of Schedule 4 to those Regulations, or
    (b)

a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 4 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 1A or 1B or 1C or 1E or 5A or 5B or 5C or 5E or 8C or 8D or 8E or 8F or 8G or 8H or 8K or 8L or 20C or 20D or 20E or 20F or 20G or 20H or 20K or 20L or 31A or 31C or, in the case of a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph, 1H or 1I or 5H or 5I of Schedule 2 to those Regulations; and

“British Standard mark” means the specification for sealed beam headlamps published by the British Standards Institution under the reference BS AU 40: Part 4a: 1966 as amended by Amendment AMD 2188 published in December 1976, namely “B.S. AU40”.

That for halogen,  if the headlights are carp they will be returned . All these headlights that are sealed led are made in CHINA regardless of price. If they have a  good beam I'll fit them if not returned. I can't find any regs for led sealed units. You can't fit led bulbs to ordinary halogen units I know that , if they pass the mot have good beam , I know I am hoping here , prob a rectangular shaped light  lol but if you don't try you'll never know

Edited by andy _1

Its been done to death on here Andy. There are rules and regs that are relevant. Many ignore them, most are disappointed with the cheap chinese rubbish (in fact, i have never heard of anyone pleased with the chinese carp). Just have a search for them. 

Edited by reb78
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, andy _1 said:

I mean where does everyone think the rest of the led stuff is made, its CHINA ,

Dude, China isn't one big factory churning out the same stuff for everyone.  Companies that use products or elements of products made in China etc, do so with guidelines, legality and quality control as it's their product being sold outside of China.

What you have listed is a knock off produced by someone who has none of the above.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

Its been done to death on here Andy. There are rules and regs that are relevant. Many ignore them, most are disappointed with the cheap chinese rubbish (in fact, i have never heard of anyone pleased with the chinese carp). Just have a search for them. 

This.

Use the search facility and you'll find that the subject of LED lights has been done to death. While you may spend your money how you wish and end up with something that does the job you want bear in mind should you be involved in an accident involving 3rd parties etc and your vehicle be found to be fitted with lighting that falls outside the regulations - even something considered so trivial as what has been stated above then you could well end up in hot water. Your choice.

A decent pair of Crystal shells, decent bulbs and an uprated wiring and relay system will serve you well.

• Like 4

I have almost completed my rewire project on my 110. I used the opportunity to build in a few modifications. 

Regarding my headlights I already had a set of crystal shells but I added a large earth wire direct to the negative battery terminal via a bus bar, relay operated main and dip circuits fed from a fused live supply using a larger wires and I have swapped my bulbs for the night breaker type. Before these mods with the standard set up it wasn't always clear if the beam was undipped or not. Now the difference is staggering. It is the route I would recommend plus you retain the standard classic look which personally I prefer over the modern led lights. 

I've done similar with my Crystal headlights & Night breaker filaments [150% brighter version] used 2 relays one for dip & one for main, powered direct from alternator output via 30amp fuses, upgraded the wiring from relays to headlights & constructed my own sub loom, far better light output & range for night driving on unlit roads of all types.

Chaps, what are these "Crystal" lights of which you speak?

I don't want to put LEDs on, at least not headlights (rears and indicators are different) but would like better lighting than the current Price's nightlight...

I'm familiar with Night Breaker bulbs from bikes, and have also tinkered with LED lamps in regular bulbs (with varied degrees of disappointment). HID conversions aren't a bad option but no good if you happen to want a dip and high beam. Though I suppose I could fit spots as high beam and make the standard headlights dip only... 

Ta,

Simon