Fridges

Re: panels at 90 degrees to the sun -yes, to a point....

If you do angle them at 90, then actually the drop off as the sun moves is greater than if they are flat -so in effect you get a shorter part of the day when they are really efficient.

I think most installations go for about 15 degrees off horizontal for this reason -on average it is better for a fix installation.

I meant that ideally they stay at 90 to the sun's rays. That would need the panel to track the sun, which isn't practicable. So really it needs to be presented at a convenient angle that captures as much as possible. I agree this isn't going to be when the sun is at the highest part of the sky - rather a bit lower so that the sun is at 90 in two positions, before and after 'noon'.

My 'camping battery' is a 32 amp hour battery out of a mobility scooter. It's ten years old. It was in a pile of batteries my mate was taking to the scrap man. I took it to a local auto electric place, who put it on there magic charger.

I run a ten amp output 'suitcase charger on it. That will run my fridge all day and all night in temps up and over 40 degrees. It does drop low over night, but fast charges up as soon as the dimpsy is gone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northwards said:

As soon as the dimpsy is gone....?? 

OK, I know it's 'autocorrect' - but no matter how I try I can't get that to reverse translate into something I understand...! 

'Dimpsy' that time at dawn and dusk when it's light enough to see, but the sun hasn't risen. Colloquial English term, used in the North East, North West, South West  and some parts of Middle England

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger110 said:

I believe you can over think where to have your panels, mine are approximately 10 degrees from flat on the roof to stop rain pooling on it. Never had an issue with powering the previous 3 batteries or the current 2.

It's a good point, going further, I would rather just spend a little more and get a bigger or second panel and save me having to either worry about it or faff with adjusting them.

An extra 50 quid can save a lot of hassle.

• Like 2

We need to be careful with our panel as the roof tilts to about 45deg, which is either very good or very bad. Usually the wind is the determining factor. However getting charge in is very important if the days are short, it's cloudy or cold or any combination. Then we need to drop the roof during the day.

I would like to increase from 100W of solar but getting a second panel to match the open circuit volts wasn't totally straightforward when I last looked and I would rather not have a second controller. A bigger single panel of about 150W might work but there is a space issue as it's aft of the roof rack (90 on a 110).

Having a good working second battery has been a major change though and I am happy that it is getting well looked after, now that I am not discharging it excessively. The coolbox is gone and a compressor fridge was fitted a few years ago.

8 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

We need to be careful with our panel as the roof tilts to about 45deg, which is either very good or very bad. Usually the wind is the determining factor. However getting charge in is very important if the days are short, it's cloudy or cold or any combination. Then we need to drop the roof during the day.

I would like to increase from 100W of solar but getting a second panel to match the open circuit volts wasn't totally straightforward when I last looked and I would rather not have a second controller. A bigger single panel of about 150W might work but there is a space issue as it's aft of the roof rack (90 on a 110).

Having a good working second battery has been a major change though and I am happy that it is getting well looked after, now that I am not discharging it excessively. The coolbox is gone and a compressor fridge was fitted a few years ago.

Thought on your setup.... if you had a second panel on a second controller.... could you have it sat on top of the current one on some full extension draw runners so it can pull out? Might need some thinking about for the roof angle though.

It might well act as a sail if it slides out on its own. Also I need to be careful of the weight at that end or the roof gets hard to lift. If I were to increase the rating of the struts, it would be hard to lower.

There is scope to do something on the rack though. 

Anyway, back on topic...

8A8D5D1E-2CC7-473B-9FE8-AF1001F12FFF_1_105_c.jpeg.40fc0498f9e4e0857ea3470ffe8caf3b.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

It might well act as a sail if it slides out on its own. Also I need to be careful of the weight at that end or the roof gets hard to lift. If I were to increase the rating of the struts, it would be hard to lower.

There is scope to do something on the rack though. 

Anyway, back on topic...

8A8D5D1E-2CC7-473B-9FE8-AF1001F12FFF_1_105_c.jpeg.40fc0498f9e4e0857ea3470ffe8caf3b.jpeg

Just sticking to where Ross was going, is there room under the rack where you could have panels that slide out to the sides of rack from underneath, they could then slide back in and locked into position until they were required again regards Stephen

@Stellaghost, that is something that can be done on the Front Runner racks, not sure about clearance under my Hannibal. The roof has a couple of cargo rails running front to back (where my panel is clamped) so that reduces the clearance. It's a good idea and has got me thinking...

Edit: perhaps would be good for a 'portable panel' that can be put in the sun and at the correct angle. 

Edited by Peaklander

I used to chat with a guy who also has an Alucab roof. He was on another forum and also a FB friend but he disappeared a couple of years ago. He liked to travel in hot places so was always looking to park in the shade and insisted that the panel should be on a lead so that it could be in the sun.

When the fridge is working hard in the heat and then it's cold at night and the heater comes on, I've found that you really do need a good supply of power.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:06 PM, Peaklander said:

Edit: perhaps would be good for a 'portable panel' that can be put in the sun and at the correct angle. 

I find this works well with my cheap 'suitcase' panel. I extended the lead, so I have 50' of wander lead. I also like the way it's not hard wired. Last summer, I was able to charge up my 'in vehicle' aux battery, the 'fridge' battery and the little 12amp hour battery that runs the shower and camp lights. We had camped in the lee of some trees and a small hillock, so I could just walk the panels round, as and when required. I was also pleased that even though the suitcase was cheap, the panels are very good quality and carried on providing charge well into the dimpsy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/4/2022 at 6:26 PM, Peaklander said:

You guys seem to have big fridges.

This is our 35litre ‘live’. Ok I should squeeze another couple of beers in there but it’s fairly spacious and takes up some space in our 110.

Next to the 2 x 2 litre of milk is a big pack of chicken, a large red pepper and other salad stuff.

F5E7FFCB-7D93-497F-BC3A-F07B1493D227.thumb.jpeg.db8a6e0f4d9e6fa8d0f84ac2edd68133.jpeg

9DEDC215-7675-4ED0-AD39-D815F01A49BE.thumb.jpeg.0ed61ff4feea21db54155a8d6485416f.jpeg

Hi, i'm hoping to get some advice on here regarding my 12v compressor fridge. The fridge packed up and died a few days ago. Its getting 13v happily from the batteries to the back of the fridge. About 10 minutes ago out of nowhere the fridge turned on and started working again. I have no rhyme or reason why, but I bet it hasn't magically fixed itself. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot it and see if maybe its salvageable? The prices for a new fridge is incredibly expensive. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

5 hours ago, saxere74 said:

Hi, i'm hoping to get some advice on here regarding my 12v compressor fridge. The fridge packed up and died a few days ago. Its getting 13v happily from the batteries to the back of the fridge. About 10 minutes ago out of nowhere the fridge turned on and started working again. I have no rhyme or reason why, but I bet it hasn't magically fixed itself. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot it and see if maybe its salvageable? The prices for a new fridge is incredibly expensive. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Fan spinning? Try running it with a small fan pointing through a cooling vent. Sounds a bit like my Waeco when the fan packed up. 

Waeco/dometic fridges have a thermostat in the base that has a habit of dieing. Mine did, can remember if it throws a code or just stops working. I think it's just plug in replacement but you do need to release the plastic base and dig through the insulation to find it.

Mike