Heavy duty axles to survive hard landings?

I see two factors at play:

1/. Bending moment applied to axle between wheels and spring - I would put the springs as far out board as possible to reduce the size of the bending moment. Then make the car as light as possible.

2/, Momentum of the diff tending to want to bend the axle on impact. Decent tyre side wall size, tyre pressure not too high, lightest diff you can get away with for application, stiff axle tube.

adrian

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

@simonr we demand as many updates/details as you are able to give - even if they have to be vague and mysterious it's super entertaining from an engineering perspective!

Do you now! ;)

I'll give you as much as I can.  When the film is released, I'll spill the beans.  I suspect though, when you see it, you'll say "Ah - that's what he was talking about!"

• Like 2

Is it possibly to 'peg' an axle using a slider block against the edge of the inner wheel rim!? no idea whether it would lock the wheels up or whatever just an idea whether it would help, perhaps they could shoot out on small rams just for the landing if the wheels were straight. 

8 hours ago, missingsid said:

Isn't F&F all CGI?

Famously not, not since they got a lot of stick for it in the early days anyway... you can always usually tell because the physics is never quite right, especially for crashes etc. although it's way better these days than it ever was.

15 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Famously not, not since they got a lot of stick for it in the early days anyway... you can always usually tell because the physics is never quite right, especially for crashes etc. although it's way better these days than it ever was.

So the latest carp with magnets and an artic going end over follows physics then?

Sorry I managed to get through the first drivel and didn't watch any more!

8 hours ago, missingsid said:

So the latest carp with magnets and an artic going end over follows physics then?

Sorry I managed to get through the first drivel and didn't watch any more!

I never said they follow the laws of physics - just that they do a hell of a lot of stuff for real rather than CGI.

Also, surely if you wanted gritty realism you wouldn't be watching F&F movies? :P

13 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I never said they follow the laws of physics - just that they do a hell of a lot of stuff for real rather than CGI.

Also, surely if you wanted gritty realism you wouldn't be watching F&F movies? :P

Exactly why I don't and never will. I went to see Charlie's Angels as my mates liked the women in it !  I walked out after the opening scene where all 3 girls are in a train falling down a cliff, somehow they manage to get to a helicopter on a different carriage get in it open the folded blades start the engine and fly it from upside down to safety all in the few seconds it takes for gravity to kill everyone on the valley floor!

I watched Mission Impossible 3 as it had motorcycle stunts as performed by all the best European riders. I was trying to guess who the rider was AC Farias maybe? I was pleased that the DVD had extras with the stunts on it.

I was even more  surprised to see that TC did all the stunts, AC had been stunting since a child so how had TC learned to do it?

Answer he didn't, a film stunt of a bike skiing stunt involves bolting the bike to the camera car and TC only learns a fraction of the stunt!

In film land everything is fake even the stuff that is possible.

Yes I don't enjoy many films.

5 hours ago, missingsid said:

Yes I don't enjoy many films.

I think you might be taking it all too seriously ;)

The impossible physics used to wind me up - but now just makes me wonder how they did it.  Sometimes it's CG - but often it's some kind of crazy rig.

Now, instead of getting wound up by the unlikely physics, I marvel at the engineering which has gone in to making something behave the way it did, in a controled & safe way.  It has allowed me to enjoy the films on a whole new level.

This is my favorite example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRgq12XOhjc
T
he "Two Guys" Chris Corbould refers to are Dick & Lou - who are just amazing!  When I saw the film - I wrote it off as CG - but then  I was amazed to find that it was "real" (even if cheated a bit).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, simonr said:

I think you might be taking it all too seriously ;)

The impossible physics used to wind me up - but now just makes me wonder how they did it.  Sometimes it's CG - but often it's some kind of crazy rig.

Now, instead of getting wound up by the unlikely physics, I marvel at the engineering which has gone in to making something behave the way it did, in a controled & safe way.  It has allowed me to enjoy the films on a whole new level.

This is my favorite example:
T
he "Two Guys" Chris Corbould refers to are Dick & Lou - who are just amazing!  When I saw the film - I wrote it off as CG - but then  I was amazed to find that it was "real" (even if cheated a bit).

Wow OK, impressive though I still don't see the point.

So the F&F flip can be produced.

18 hours ago, simonr said:

T

Well, that's just incredibly cool.

I must say I'm very, very jealous of your job. It must be hard work, but sounds like you have a lot of fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elbekko said:

I must say I'm very, very jealous of your job. It must be hard work, but sounds like you have a lot of fun.

Naaa, you'd hate it - playing with cool toys & blowing stuff up - it's terrible ;)

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, elbekko said:

<_<

Where do I sign up? :D

Serious answer (to everyone) is to do a bit of research to find the name of a department head and a movie in production via IMDB - and write them a letter care of the studio at which it's filming (also from IMDB).  The whole industry is very short of people at the moment - so, even if you wanted to work in costume or hair & makeup and have some useful skills, now is a good time to enquire.  PM me if you're interested - I can give you some contacts & tips on how to write to them.
The work is hard & the hours are long but the rates are good - and it's fantastic fun!  I can't believe anybody wants to pay me for what I do!

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 9:54 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Makes me wonder what on earth you would actually like in a film :ph34r:

You'll be grumbling that Daniel Craig isn't really an actual spy next :lol:

In truth pretty much anything Hollywood action as the they have totally ruined it.

Matrix was a totally made up film but was revolutionary and interesting, BUT, the third one started to fall back into the mire of mediocrity.

Yes I have high expectations of the film industry which is generally not met.

I definitely don't watch films where things explode ten times with a fireball the size of an atomic bomb when in fact it would never explode in the first place!

So like a lot, possibly most people nowadays I don't go to the cinema where the screen is far too close and the volume at 100, I stay at home and search through Netflix and Sky, find something that looks worth watching, if it is not good in the first minutes I will find something else. Mostly Korean at the moment.

1 hour ago, simonr said:

Serious answer (to everyone) is to do a bit of research to find the name of a department head and a movie in production via IMDB - and write them a letter care of the studio at which it's filming (also from IMDB).  The whole industry is very short of people at the moment - so, even if you wanted to work in costume or hair & makeup and have some useful skills, now is a good time to enquire.  PM me if you're interested - I can give you some contacts & tips on how to write to them.
The work is hard & the hours are long but the rates are good - and it's fantastic fun!  I can't believe anybody wants to pay me for what I do!

I would have definitely been up for that 20yrs ago, but now I'm looking forward to retirement instead regards Stephen

50 minutes ago, missingsid said:

cinema where the screen is far too close and the volume at 100,

I'm very lucky to have a local family run cinema, where the screen is big enough, and the volume does not leave my insides scrambled.

Oh, and £4 a ticket, whatever the film, beats Odeon where I mistakenly walked in a few years ago and for two tickets is was £21.90!

Perhaps you have a similar place?

On 9/23/2021 at 9:54 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Makes me wonder what on earth you would actually like in a film :ph34r:

You'll be grumbling that Daniel Craig isn't really an actual spy next :lol:

Wait, so all those nurses can't actually measure blood pressure? what about the plumbers?😆

• Haha 2