Ibex - anyone built one/know much about them?

Chicken Drumstick

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Unless the reg number was sold on, I last saw it for sale on facebook painted olive drab. Did he sell it to Ed Cobley? I remember him having one with that plate on it. 

Now owned by a chap called Freddie Rothwell with Kanarie paint job:

image.png.2f5f87137618910a48ea36d30a15a280.png

Also, Nick Field own this one, with TDV6. it used to have a 4.6 rover v8 and was used in the RFC, I think in 2001:

large.5b4505e408e8a_IMG_22411.JPG.2910e86f83373b7259c03c70a99f27ee.JPG

10 hours ago, miketomcat said:

In mine I've used a Freelander back seat as I wanted three belts but you can fit whatever you want as long as the doors shut. I can sit in the back of mine and I'm 6'3".

Mike

IMAG0497.jpg

That looks to have good sight lines, better than the Landrover and defender station wagons.

Thank you.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:27 PM, ThreePointFive said:

What are the doors and bonnet made of? Are they suitably kit-car in their feel or a bit more substantial?

As an independent party who's ridden in TSD's and Miketomcat's Ibexes for significant distances, as well as the odd Defender and Series I can tell you the Ibex feels way more solid and well-sealed than most Defenders, I suspect not least because the frame is structural rather than a wobbly riveted-together aluminium box on top of a chassis. The doors all fit in the holes properly and everything :lol:

• Haha 1

I never understood why an ibex was based on landrover parts; especially with the current values of defenders. You could use a toyota 70 series or a patrol. A disco 2 is another one to consider. Has Ibex ever considered changing the donor vehicle, considering the defender is no longer made?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Daan said:

I never understood why an ibex was based on landrover parts; especially with the current values of defenders. You could use a toyota 70 series or a patrol. A disco 2 is another one to consider. Has Ibex ever considered changing the donor vehicle, considering the defender is no longer made?

They tried ford 10-15 years ago only built one. You can spec D2 and several have been built like this. If you talk to them they will accommodate almost anything you want, this is why their website is a bit vague. They literally are bespoke, I'm fairly sure no two ibex are the same.

Mike

• Like 1

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2022-atae-munro-rugged-electric-4x4-enters-testing-phase

img_20210910_122132.jpg?itok=lgVwsuTN

When you can buy next year a Ford F-150 lightning retail at £28K in the US, you’d think it would make more sense to buy in trucks from Ford convert to RHD, or even rebody with Ibex and then IVA them here. 

The specs of the Ford are considerably better than that proposed by Munro…

563bhp and 775lb ft – the most torque yet offered on an F-150.

It will be offered with two battery capacities, offering official ranges of around 230 and 300 miles on the American EPA test cycle.

Ford claims the F-150 Lightning will be “wickedly quick off the mark”, with a 0-60mph time in the mid 4.0sec range with the optional extended-range battery.

The firm claims a maximum payload of 907kg for vehicles fitted with the standard 18in wheels, along with a towing capacity of up to 4536kg.

Ford will offer the a home charging station as standard with the truck and says it will be capable of 150kW DC fast-charging, allowing a 15-80% charge in 41 minutes.

16 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I'm developing a serious liking for one of these. It will pass, no doubt.

I very much doubt it, I first saw them in 86 when they first launched the ibex after building the nomad (mini based and also on my radar). I looked very seriously at them when I built my tomcat, with hindsight I wish I had built one then. But at that time the kit was £3k more, ironically knowing what I know now the build cost would of been the same. Fast forward about 7 years the tomcat was gone due to not because of having a wife and child (with a second in the way). The one I have came up on eBay, I spoke to the guy he said he had someone coming to look at it but it was still available buy it now...... 

Mike

Neither was TSD or moglight. When I joined shires TSD was soon to buy his off another club member and moglight had red ibex both really helped my hankering.......not. I got there in the end, the irony is my wife hates the way they look but she is quite happy to drive it.

Mike

• Like 1

I've wanted one since I saw John Foers in his at a YROC trial. That was a long time ago. I helped a couple of friends (brothers) build theres, back in the early 90's (in Derbyshire). Driving Moglites didn't help; then Mike built his - which is gorgeous.TSD turned up here in his, once, and I see it regualrly when I go past his house.

I've accepted the I will have neither time or money to ever build one and nobody ever sells an Ibex....

4 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

I've wanted one since I saw John Foers in his at a YROC trial. That was a long time ago. I helped a couple of friends (brothers) build theres, back in the early 90's (in Derbyshire). Driving Moglites didn't help; then Mike built his - which is gorgeous.TSD turned up here in his, once, and I see it regualrly when I go past his house.

I've accepted the I will have neither time or money to ever build one and nobody ever sells an Ibex....

To help more, next time I'm down hopefully we'll have more time and you can have a drive. :stirthepot:

Mike

• 3 months later...