Sharing my pain -- accident last night in my 110

Couldn't stop in time to avoid hitting a motorcycle that had come to a complete halt in the traffic lane (5 lane road with center turn lane.)

Anyway, here's the result.  Looks like I will end up replacing:

- Grill

- Radiator

- Bonnet

- Frame around grill

- Brace behind grill

The hood/bonnet is bent up just a bit, so I can't get it open to see if there is more damage inside the engine bay -- I am assuming that bending it back in shape won't yield a great result (?) Better to replace?  That leads me to the next mod.  Perhaps now is a good time to move the spare tire to a swing-away arm on the back (?)

Thanks,

-Evan-

IMG_1871.jpg

14 minutes ago, steve b said:

............just for balance , how is the biker ?

Steve

It was a couple -- she left in the ambulance -- he stayed behind and tended to the bike (which could still be started, moved, etc.) I think they took her away out of an abundance of caution.

Good to hear , I had someone reverse out of a parking bay right into me yesterday . Not my Land Rover , but a cheap to run  daily that I'd bought 21 hours earlier....

What joy . Slow and no humans damaged but some days just suck the big one 

Steve

Horrible - and terrifying on the bike.

I had a horrible accident like this but with a cyclist.

I came to a blind right hand corner onto a very steep narrow up hill road, I was slowing down from about 15 to 10 miles an hour, getting as far to the left as I could preparing to turn in - thinking if anyone is on the other side I want to be able to stop…. When a cyclist came round the corner,  but on my side of the road, carrying tons of speed and went straight into the front of me. Very similar to your picture.

I was going super slow, slammed on the brakes, put my passenger side into the hedge - he just screamed and didn’t steer or touch his brakes at all. He must of at least been doing 30mph off that hill - even if I’d got it down to 5mph - a 35mph head on collision on drop handlebars wearing shorts and a T shirt is a horrible result. 

Awful - turns the pit of my stomach when I remember it.

49 minutes ago, evanmc said:

Couldn't stop in time to avoid hitting a motorcycle that had come to a complete halt in the traffic lane (5 lane road with center turn lane.)

Anyway, here's the result.  Looks like I will end up replacing:

- Grill

- Radiator

- Bonnet

- Frame around grill

- Brace behind grill

The hood/bonnet is bent up just a bit, so I can't get it open to see if there is more damage inside the engine bay -- I am assuming that bending it back in shape won't yield a great result (?) Better to replace?  That leads me to the next mod.  Perhaps now is a good time to move the spare tire to a swing-away arm on the back (?)

Thanks,

-Evan-

IMG_1871.jpg

So... you rear ended a bike because you weren't paying attention, putting the pillion passenger in hospital.

And you've come on here to do what, get sympathy for the damage to the front of your vehicle?

Unbelievable!

7 minutes ago, pat_pending said:

So... you rear ended a bike because you weren't paying attention, putting the pillion passenger in hospital.

And you've come on here to do what, get sympathy for the damage to the front of your vehicle?

Unbelievable!

No, far from it.  I certainly don't want sympathy over some bent metal.  I certainly feel bad about causing pain, and will not pass judgement on them for stopping in the middle of the road.  I certainly was paying attention.

Actually, what I wanted advice on was what I mentioned.  I have no experience with bent aluminum body parts.  I am assuming that the hood really can't be straightened out with a satisfying result so replacement is my only option.

-Evan-

• western changed the title to Sharing my pain -- accident last night in my 110

If my post was taken in an unintended way then I apologise - what I was suggesting was context and appropriate information - if you see what I mean ? 

As for your damage , Aluminium can be flattened and shrunk to straighten out and with the bonnet  steel frame taken  out of the skin it could be brought closer to shape I think 

Steve

3 hours ago, monkie said:

Hang on, I don't like this nose dive the thread is taking. Anyone who didn't witness what happened can't comment on the causes of the incident or where any blame lies. It isn't our place to make any judgements on who is in the right/wrong. 

Clearly aimed at me.

Well, whoever was to blame the fate of the bike he hit wasn't mentioned until steve b asked, it then turns out the pillion was carted off in an ambulance.

But it's OK because it was probably... 

4 hours ago, evanmc said:

an abundance of caution

All the emphasis was about the damage to his own vehicle.

It all came over as rather callous to me.

1 hour ago, pat_pending said:

Clearly aimed at me.

Well, whoever was to blame the fate of the bike he hit wasn't mentioned until steve b asked, it then turns out the pillion was carted off in an ambulance.

But it's OK because it was probably... 

All the emphasis was about the damage to his own vehicle.

It all came over as rather callous to me.

The OP is asking for advice on how to fix their vehicle, nothing callous about that. Conjecture and speculation on blame from anyone who wasn't there doesn't help. I think it goes without saying that all of us hope those involved are okay regardless of who was in the wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve b said:

....with the bonnet  steel frame taken  out of the skin it could be brought closer to shape I think 

Steve

Is it possible to remove the steel frame from the bonnet without damaging the frame or the bonnet skin?

I have a bonnet that would also benefit from this treatment, and at the same time I could give the frame a bit of love and attention regarding corrosion!!!

If you know of any threads or videos showing how to do this it would be appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

Mick 

20180819_150336.thumb.jpg.a66a23bd1c10c10a4d98e69d9630a6c5.jpg20180417_145903.thumb.jpg.512625e0125a2c016f4b19fd6d8c7c9a.jpgWith the bonnet, if you remove the rivets you can then slide the skin off after bending the skin away from where it butt's up to the frame.

Pictures here of my frame in primer after grit blasting and the skin.

Edited by soutie
Spelling

Regarding moving your spare wheel to the back door...

I've got a masi (I think) carrier on the back door. It's been off and on a few times as most carriers they're just painted or powder coated which to me are equally unfit for a defender, they will both within a year start to show signs of rust. If you do go that way try find something galvanised, you won't regret it. - I ended up galvanised mine myself.

Personally I think bonnet spare is pretty iconic and loved it on the camel 110, it does make the bonnet a bit heavy but small price to pay in my opinion. I've actually got a bonnet mount for my 90, just never got around to mounting it.

The bits you're looking for have pretty good availability for not a lot of cash, so I'd be looking just to replace outright.

9 hours ago, soutie said:

20180819_150336.thumb.jpg.a66a23bd1c10c10a4d98e69d9630a6c5.jpg20180417_145903.thumb.jpg.512625e0125a2c016f4b19fd6d8c7c9a.jpgWith the bonnet, if you remove the rivets you can then slide the skin off after bending the skin away from where it butt's up to the frame.

Pictures here of my frame in primer after grit blasting and the skin.

Thanks for that. Is the skin bonded to the frame, if so how did you break the bond?

Sorry for hijacking the thread. 

Mick

1 hour ago, pete3000 said:

I'd Replace Grill, radiator and headlight/s. The rest will straighten/add character.

Looking at it though i'd concentrate on the top of the bulkhead rust patches next 🙂

Here in the desert area of arizona, fortunately, things don't rust much at all.  Having said that, I've been wanting to address the bulkhead rust that came with the 110 for quite a while (perhaps something from YRM).

Perhaps I can just beat the hood back in place -- the portion that is damaged is not where the frame is, so that may be the easiest approach.

-Evan-

29 minutes ago, western said:

Can I ask as your in USA, why have you still have the UK reg plate on the vehicle ?

I know some states require front & rear plates & others just a rear plate, 

I was wondering the same thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soutie said:

The bond of the frame to the skin was mostly broken  I used a stanely knife to cut what remained.

Many thanks.  I think the bond on mine is still quite good unfortunately.  I will try the Stanley and possibly a bit of mig wire.