What would you do ?

Anderzander

1 hour ago, rusty_wingnut said:

I can't understand people who go through grinders,

I'm afraid it's usage dependant, my machines work hard, sometimes several hours use in a day with only a disc change rest, they get hot and eventually break down. The last Makita I burnt out was a decade old and owes me nothing due to the amount of work it's done.

On our site grinders burn out regularly due to 7" and above being banned, with the best will in the world a small grinder is going to seriously suffer doing work a 9" grinder should be doing

I would hazard a guess that anyone checking on my mog axle build will be surprised that I've only broken one, however it's good yours is lasting may have to check the Makita copies out myself regards Stephen

On 2/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, smallfry said:

To those who have battery hedge trimmers, how long does the battery give per charge ? SWMBO is always cutting through the cable on our mains one !  

I have Stihl battery garden tools and cannot fault them. Light, powerful and the batteries last ages and charge quickly. So far my collection is lawn mower, strimmer , long reach hedge trimmers and a leaf blower. I have 2 batteries and have never had to wait for one to charge.

10 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

You just can't help yourself Ed.............lol

Regards Stephen

What can I say I'm in a delirious mood due to lack of sleep because of a broken wrist...

In all seriousness though I have a Husky 120i I think it is (baby battery chainsaw) and love it. Although with a couple of big trees down recently I got a 562XP with 20" bar on it. That thing is a monster and must admit it's my go to saw now just because it loves to eat timber.

13 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I have a battery powered lawn mower*. Does about 4.5 acres on a charge before it needs recharging which only takes about 30s.

1945444253_IMG_20211021_114532_846(1).thumb.jpg.8ab1fb7ff3ba0fc92dddb3163a21d8d6.jpg

* Well it has a battery in it... :ph34r:

See,

this is my problem. Blade is not big enough, and I cant be bothered to wait the 30 seconds for it to recharge !

13 hours ago, bishbosh said:

I have Stihl battery garden tools and cannot fault them. Light, powerful and the batteries last ages and charge quickly. So far my collection is lawn mower, strimmer , long reach hedge trimmers and a leaf blower. I have 2 batteries and have never had to wait for one to charge.

Thanks for that. We could do with a long reach hedgetrimmer. I will look at them when the mains Makita dies.

Buy the Milwaukee 4 1/2", Make sure you always buy the 'Fuel' version of their tools as these are the better brushless ones. 

Do not click if you don't want to spend money I recently bought a Milwaukee laser lever from here, good price and quick delivery.

Edit: there are two types of switch, a bottom paddle and a conventional locking slide, I prefer the slide as I don't run a guard and sometimes put 9" discs in it, also easier when you put it on its back for sharpening drill bits.

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

You really know how to live life on the edge! :lol: 

Needs must sometimes! The great thing about the Milwaukee and I guess most other battery grinders? is the auto stop so if the worst does start to happen you just jam your (gloved!) hand in there or preferably ram it into the workpiece and its stops instantly.

I have put a Stihl saw blade in it before today but I have a wire brush attachment for a strimmer I think that's the most exciting thing! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fixing the old one is beyond my current skill set. So I’ve gone for this.

It’s a lovely thing. 

Seems to have a little gauze filter that clips onto the handle - and it comes with a spare.

Has an additional plastic guard too - which I haven’t seen before.

Only thing it hasn’t come with is one of those quick release fasteners. So I might look for one of those separately.