What would you do ?

Anderzander

Buy a cordless one, and have three others in the shed with cords on for a bit more grunt, one slitting disc, one flap wheel, one wire cup brush/grinding disc.

The MacAllister ones from B&Q and perfectly acceptable unless you are doing it every day.

6 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I've a grinder trolley. For the collection.

Having a few grinders saves time. Our most precious resource.

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I have 4 on garden implement hooks next to the bench, all plugged into a 4-way. Grab and use.

This has the makings of a "What have you got" topic

Regards Stephen

44 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

What’s that Ed?  Like a quick release fastener?

You don't need a key to loosen them off, handtight is enough to tighten and the same for removal, flip half round tab up, which unlocks and then unwind, they are very good, come as standard with Milwaukee grinders regards Stephen

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

My dewalt has a lovely knurled nut only needed a tool (and it uses an Allen key) when I’ve had a disc grab and disintegrate. 

Ross has a point, I normally never need to use a tool, just grab the work disc, lock the mechanism and twist off, although not that easy with a 9" due to more torque tightening the nut during use regards Stephen

11 minutes ago, hurbie said:

5" always ..... much more useable surface on your disks compared to 4.5"

The 5" is very expensive for such a small gain in diameter 1 /4" extra on the metal and only while it stays bigger, seems a lot for an extra £ 170. If you are thinking along them lines go for the 9" cordless for a wee bit more regards Stephen

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:53 PM, Stellaghost said:

I would also add it you need to get very heavy duty then corded is still far better than cordless, but it is very handy not untangling cables and reduced the need for long extension cables regards Stephen

I'm not so sure that's still true!  I have two DeWalt DCG405 Brushless grinders & the batteries charge faster than I can use them.  They are way more powerful than any of my previous corded ones and seem to be lasting well.

At work, in the fabrication shop, it's now very rare to see a corded grinder (or any other tool).  Milwaukee are by far the most common.  I just have DeWalt to be different!
I think with Brushless motors and decent batteries, cordless tools have come of age. 

This week, after the storm, a Tree Person was using a cordless chainsaw (Makita I think) with a decent length bar, slicing up fallen trees.  He says he keeps his petrol chainsaws in the van, but rarely uses them now, except on big trees.  The battery one is very quiet, a few batteries last a days work - but most importantly, they always start when you push the button!  I'd always regarded even corded electric chainsaws as being a bit Hobby - but now I'm not so sure!

• Like 1

If you buy a bare tool make sure you have some BIG batteries - my cordless grinder goes through them way faster than any of my other cordless tools.

I'd also subscribe to the corded is more powerful than cordless camp - my ancient green bosch grinder is way more powerful than my new brushless bosh cordless.... I can easily stall my cordless with a slitting desk never mind a flap wheel!

2 hours ago, simonr said:

I'm not so sure that's still true!  I have two DeWalt DCG405 Brushless grinders & the batteries charge faster than I can use them.  They are way more powerful than any of my previous corded ones and seem to be lasting well.

At work, in the fabrication shop, it's now very rare to see a corded grinder (or any other tool).  Milwaukee are by far the most common.  I just have DeWalt to be different!
I think with Brushless motors and decent batteries, cordless tools have come of age. 

This week, after the storm, a Tree Person was using a cordless chainsaw (Makita I think) with a decent length bar, slicing up fallen trees.  He says he keeps his petrol chainsaws in the van, but rarely uses them now, except on big trees.  The battery one is very quiet, a few batteries last a days work - but most importantly, they always start when you push the button!  I'd always regarded even corded electric chainsaws as being a bit Hobby - but now I'm not so sure!

I completely agree. The three makes that seem to get consistently good reviews are Milwaukee, Makita and Dewalt for the most common cordless items. From my personal experience of using my own and others cordless tools:

Milwaukee appear to be the best quality/have the most power but the range is set mostly around metalworking and vehicles and there were no woodworking or garden tools last time I looked. They are also the most expensive.

Dewalt do a good range of metalworking and woodworking but no garden tools and the big impact wrench is sub par compared to Makita/Milwaukee. Quality about the same as Makita and just below Milwaukee

Makita have the biggest range of tools for all items or at least did when I bought into the battery system, this was one of my main reasons for doing so

Which brand you go with is going to depend mostly on which batteries you already have! Chainsaws/Hedge cutters and Strimmers from Stilhl and Makita are great now.  There has to be a good reason now for me to pick up a much heavier and noisier petrol hedge cutter and as you say they start right up which means you don't feel you have to do all the hedge cutting in one go (or as long as the tank of fuel lasts) which means you get a break from cutting to rake up and vice versa 🙂

1 minute ago, L19MUD said:

I completely agree. The three makes that seem to get consistently good reviews are Milwaukee, Makita and Dewalt for the most common cordless items. From my personal experience of using my own and others cordless tools:

Milwaukee appear to be the best quality/have the most power but the range is set mostly around metalworking and vehicles and there were no woodworking or garden tools last time I looked. They are also the most expensive.

Dewalt do a good range of metalworking and woodworking but no garden tools and the big impact wrench is sub par compared to Makita/Milwaukee. Quality about the same as Makita and just below Milwaukee

Makita have the biggest range of tools for all items or at least did when I bought into the battery system, this was one of my main reasons for doing so

Which brand you go with is going to depend mostly on which batteries you already have! Chainsaws/Hedge cutters and Strimmers from Stilhl and Makita are great now.  There has to be a good reason now for me to pick up a much heavier and noisier petrol hedge cutter and as you say they start right up which means you don't feel you have to do all the hedge cutting in one go (or as long as the tank of fuel lasts) which means you get a break from cutting to rake up and vice versa 🙂

Milwaukee and Dewalt have a good range of garden stuff now - Hedge trimmers, strimmers, Mowers etc. I've got the 18v brushless strimmer from Dewalt and its brilliant. Way more powerful than I thought it would be and 5ah batteries last well.

Regarding the angle grinder, IMO the 5 inch is just a little bit too big and bulky for the small amount of extra disc diameter you get (for a short while) If you want bigger, then get a 9 inch as well.

The quick release nuts are great except after a "grab" as stated. However I find they jam up with dust when cutting brick, block, or stone, so I use a conventional one for that.

To those who have battery hedge trimmers, how long does the battery give per charge ? SWMBO is always cutting through the cable on our mains one !  

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

As above, milwaukee made their name in the states as house building (I.e. impact drivers, nailguns and circular saws), and still do great stuff., and have now added garden stuff to the list.

They see to be trying to get in on the Snap On market too, with their big metal roll cab tool storage too. 

I've abused one of those copy Makita grinders for around a year now, and it's been nothing short of brilliant. if I need more power then I have a very trusty AEG that I picked up from BOC a few years ago - and that has been first class. I bought another as part of the deal when they were £20!!! 

I can't understand people who go through grinders, I've only had one before which was a Skil, and that was swapped out because it was a 4" and hard to find discs for.

Edited by rusty_wingnut