New Axlehousing : to galvanise or not ?

Arjan

I hope to take delivery later this year of a new rear axle casing and would like to keep it for a long time.

- Do I have the tub galvanized or not ?

- Do I have the tub powder coated or not ?

What are you experiences / views on this please ?

• Arjan changed the title to New Axlehousing : to galvanise or not ?

I thought of galvanising but was worried that the sealing faces may end up with an uneven coating on it. Galvanising can be a bit of a lottery with the quality of finish. I am not sure it will be an issue or not. You will also have to retap the holes and certainly the diff case studs if you are leaving those on. For the cost of galvanising I think it would be worth it if it wasn't for the points noted above.

I think painting it with good quality paint and then coating with a good corrosion inhibitor should be viable - but I think reapplying the inhibitor on a regular basis is important. I have actually considered a putting ends in the bump stop plates and filling it with grease. The shock and spring mounts will definitely getting a good coating!

58 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Don't powder coat. Poor powder coat comes off in sheets and the only way to know it's poor powder coating is when it comes off in sheets.

Mike

It also conceals creeping rust until its too late. I wouldnt powdercoat ANYTHING, except maybe alloy wheels, but even that can be problematic

Galvanise, then Mordant, etch prime and the paint of your choice. 

The big problem with powder coating, particularly in the UK is the total lack of quality from most places. Not prepped properly for it to stick and most of the time not primed properly either. Blast it properly, zinc prime and it will be fine.

That said, I'm going to be galving my cases when I'm done with them. 

Interesting to know people have had the cases galvanised before. We're they difficult to clean the threads after?

I am a big believer in galvanising where it can be done without creating problems. If I hadn't just painted my axle casing i would be having it to the galvanisers to work their magic!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 7:00 AM, Snagger said:

How autocorrect changed “hot zinc sprayed “ to that I have no idea! 😳🤣🤣🤣

Autocorrect makes the changes based on the frequency of your use of a particular word*, so you clearly use the word 'sphincter' regularly. Is there anything you'd like to admit to the forum?

*May not be true.

• Haha 1