200tdi (def) timing belt noise.

Maverik

37 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I've still got the original S suffix block, as I had a spare disco unit that's the one that got sent to Turner's, they kept it and sent me an off the shelf unit.

If I'm rebuilding another block I might as well just dismantle the one I've got till I find the problem, most cost/time effective solution just now.

Swapping a block is not exactly difficult but it's time intensive. 

My thoughts were that you could rebuild a second block whilst your current engine is insitu so you aren't rushed, but I guess you aren't planning any trips whilst this question mark is hanging over your current engine 

2 hours ago, Maverik said:

How nice would it be to re-power with a super efficient quiet petrol engine...

I've got a lovely low mileage 2.25 petrol coming out of my series 3 shortly, I could be persuaded to sell it at the right price. Oh, you said "super efficient".

I'll get my coat.........🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It won’t take much effort to remove the crank pulley and grease its nose a little and see what happens.

Have you looked very closely for witness marks on the crank sprocket and timing case for light contact?  The cover seal looks like it has the concave face forward (exterior) on the photo on the third page of this thread, which is correct to keep water out, but I think is incorrect by LR production.  It may be that the sprocket is contacting the flat face of the seal as it is level with the flange that it butts up to, instead of having the void and lip sitting further forward of the seal flange.  It would explain the seal discolouration (looks greenish on the inside circumference on my screen).

I’m still a little concerned that the belt seems to have a thrust force on it, running hard against the idler guide rims.  I can’t imagine the crank and cam shafts being out of parallel, and you have done all you reasonably can to check the FIP and idler sprockets are running true.  Have you measured the front and back diameters of each sprocket to make sure none of them are tapered or conical, as that would push the belt.

• Confused 1

I wonder if its worth spraying some WD40 about when it is squealing? That will stop a squealing fan belt so i wonder if applied in specific places methodically until the squealing stops, it might help identify the cause? Of course it would mean changing the timing belt afterwards if you spray that but at least might help??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 7:48 PM, monkie said:

@Maverikhave you got any further with your investigation into the noise? 

I'm having a welcome break from it to be honest. Work is busy and I've been helping out a mate do some work on my old Black td5 90.

I have however had a little time to ponder and recently reading about a 300tdi with a crank timing pulley seal problem, I was struggling to move the crank timing pulley without a puller, I'll get some new seals ready for the timing chest.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So I'm on the cusp of diving back into the engine bay either this afternoon or tomorrow. and I've got a firm target to look at - its going to be to change out the timing pulley oil seal.

After having a good bit of time to mull and think over, I've got a few points which is hopefully pointing to a badly seated oil seal contacting the inner face of the timing pulley, an interestingly I sent the video file I made of the noise to an old landy mate and before I'd even mentioned my thoughts he came to the same conclusion.

In addition to this I remember when I installed the seal on this engine I actually purchased the correct LR seal installation tool for this job, when I used it I remember thinking that the seal wasn't quite seated as I'd expected it would be, but as I used the correct LR tool for it I just carried on. - where previously I usually just tap the seals in until flush.

So all in all I've regained a bit of hope I might actually get this sorted without removing the engine again... we will see - at least its given me a bit of inspiration to go in again -watch this space.

image.png.4312cd06e021f1819f71f7aa94d4bc34.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I’m pretty sure I made a comment about seeing scuff marks on the front of the seal on your other thread, though I can’t remember if it was the inner or outer seal that looked marked.

I think it was the front cover seal which I did replace on the last opening. - I didn't manage to remove the timing pulley last time as it was sticking, I've now got a puller so hopefully remove it...

So opted not to remove the chest.

I decided to tap the crank pulley oil seal back into its seat a further 1mm or so then charged the inner lip with some grease and a small amount on the inner pulley face too and popped it all back together. Didn't make a noise on final startup, but it was doing that before so I'll take it for a hot run tomorrow and see what happens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, reb78 said:

Whats that deformity on the seal at 9 o clock? It isnt rubbing there clearly but could it have deformed elsewhere?

It looked like a small "tag" off the outer seal material has puckered on a burr when installing, I had a look at it and it didn't look like it was causing any issue to the sealing lips. 

4 hours ago, reb78 said:

I am clutching at straws^^^!

Tell me about it. - the crank pulley did look "dry" when I pulled it off the crankshaft, so I guess it is conceivable partially dry seal was squeaking - I have to admit its stretching my imagination but it did sound like a rubber squeak type noise.

I actually feel quite hopeful if I don't think to hard about it... the more I think the more my hope swishes out the window... - and I'm putting off the test drive - ha, I'll take her out after the next TEAMS meeting...

• Like 1

Ok test drive went well, got her nice and hot and out for a few hours, this is usually when the noise starts but this time, quiet as a mouse, not even a hint of a squeak... I'll need to do a few more runs before I'll be happy with it, its got my hopes up before.

• Like 2

So on closer inspection of the pulley yesterday, I couldn't find the witness mark from the outer dust/lip seal on the pulley, but oddly enough, the corner of the pulley looked polished, more than I'd expected for this pretty "rough" machined pulley, which ties in with the last rational as to where the noise was coming from, ie the seal was engaged on a surface it didn't like nor was meant to be.

So a word of warning for anyone using the correct tool below, it doesn't seam to allow the seal to be seated far enough in the housing if used.

*this might all be pish if the noise comes back! If it does I'll update this.

20220714_074323.jpg

Screenshot_20220714-075442_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20220714-075040_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20220714-075553_OneDrive.jpg

9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Another thing this thread has shown is Mav’s remarkable resilience and perseverance 👏🏻 

Kind words, thank you.

She was becoming a fairly expensive garden ornament...

• Like 1