(B)Loo Roll

Anderzander

I’ve been buying Blue Roll - paper towel/rolls from eBay .. and it’s ok but it’s very thin these days …

Any recommendations on a brand or place to buy from ?

I seem to go through a lot of it - so maybe this cheap stuff is the way to go .. but what does everyone else use ? 

For spills and hand wiping, I just use kitchen roll now, usually "Plenty" or the bigger one, or "Blitz". Both have better absorption.

For wiping your parts, oo er, You cant beat cotton rag. All my old cotton tee shirts go this way, then, when they are oiled up, they make good firelighters.

I also use Costco yellow microfibre cloths, but this could be a bit extravagant !

The last 'proper' blue roll I had was sourced at Costco. Full sized rolls, hard paper, stable dyes. I was working in a friends lab and commented on his. Next time I visited he had sourced a pack for me. I think we split a pack of 12 rolls between us, but it's still pricey.

I bought a half dozen rolls from Jawel Paints (since I was already paying shipping on a lot of cans of paint!) but the quality is pretty poor TBH. The rolls aren't as wide as the 'proper' size, they break up too easily, and worst of all the dye isn't stable with many solvents.

I guess im probably a little ham fisted but I've never used any that doesn't break up and leave bits strewn all over and in parts of what I am cleaning, say you are cleaning a gearbox casing out I normally watch blue roll tear on a casting flashing and then you have to start fishing them out, it also just turns to pulp when blasted with brake cleaner. Rags don't roll off or out the van and they dont blow around making mess either.

Its all very much each to their own but cleaning casings, gears hydraulic valves, shafts ect a good wipe with a rag and dowse with brake cleaner ( 5L tin decanted into a hand pump sprayer) and a blow off with the air line if you need it scrupulously clean.

Just my own opinion and experience.

• Like 3

Thanks Muddy.

Funny how we have different experiences though - I love the paper towels for cleaning cases. I get a big clump of it and use it with brake cleaner. 

Maybe you work the paper harder than I do?  I do fresh regularly and it doesn’t really tear and never dissolves on me 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

😊

I've used this stuff:

Scott Garage Shop Towels | Halfords UK

It is expensive, but each towel is good quality. I guess it's dependent on what you use it for. Cheap stuff for mopping up spills (you could use soak up mats, but there expensive too!) thicker stuff for cleaning and scrubbing.

At work we use the longer width blue roll, something like this:

Premium Professional Blue White Couch Rolls Hygiene Paper Bed Roll 20" 50M 40M | eBay

I'm not sure what brand we use.

Steve

14 hours ago, TSD said:

Tork is the brand name I've been trying to remember all day, and what I always used when I could expense the cost back to customers...

https://www.costco.co.uk/Business-Office-Supplies/Cleaning-Care/Paper-Products-Tissues-Wipes/Tork-Plus-Centre-Feed-in-Blue-6-x-1575m/p/87840

That's what we have at work and its far superior. Most of the blue roll stuff I've used from other places is just like glorified blue bog roll and breaks up. 

That Tork stuff says "centre feed", yet the centre is a cardboard tube?!  I assume you're supposed to pull that out first?  I've always used them as a roll (where the middle is on a spindle of some kind).

27 minutes ago, SPendrey said:

That Tork stuff says "centre feed", yet the centre is a cardboard tube?!  I assume you're supposed to pull that out first?  I've always used them as a roll (where the middle is on a spindle of some kind).

You can use them either way. Just means that the tube can pull out as they’ve usually got a spiral perforation so they can go in a dispenser.  

I did see that, and I normally avoid anything listed as centre feed, but as said, you can just use it as a 'normal' roll. Some other makes I've had in the past the centre roll is either very thin, or not present at all, so the roll quickly collapses and becomes a useless mess.

I mentioned this subject this morning to the guy who supplied my last pack from costco, and we've had 3 or 4 packs between us, and all have been useable as a normal roll.

At one company, our supplier used to send a free Torq centre feed holder evey time we ordered rolls, but everyone just preferred a loose roll at the end of the bench, and the holders were usually thrown away unopened (or possibly taken home and thrown away after checking the price of rolls!!)

I still think rag is better, and a lot cheaper in the long run.

Dont forget that you can put them in the washing machine with a good dose of detergent when SWMBO has gone out ! 😁

Unless they are sodden with oil  of course

• Haha 1

I just cycle any old clothing through a rags stash, when they become uncleanable they get binned. Still wasteful but they've replaced x number of paper towels in that time.

Socks make great polishing cloths as you can put your hand inside them and really apply pressure. Makes for a disturbing sock puppet show though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another vote for rags over paper roll. I like old bathroom towels the best, the texture seems to help pick up dirt and they last a long time. I have a good supply through a friend, they arrive clean but worn and are used first at the wash basin and then work their way to ever dirtier corners of the Workshop.

Paper is used to clean off large blobs of grease etc (like when replacing CV joints) or for a final wipe when degreasing parts. I also find my latest batch of paper roll seems to be of a thinner variety. I don't use a lot, maybe next time I'll try a more expensive brand that claims to be high strength.