Anybody tried a Supeed Motor radiator?

Ebay flagged this up to me today, obv because I'd done previous searches for radiators. Chinese, jumbled between radiators and exhausts, jumbled between 1yr and 2yr warranty - and even some pseudo science thrown in!. Somewhat indifferent looking welding .All pictures show radiator upside down - none right way up...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125145592635?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D27e4c900a7c44c3585a67631ddff53c4%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D125145592635%26itm%3D125145592635%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778%26brand%3DSupeedmotor&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Maybe not, just wondered...

1 hour ago, western said:

I had my currently fitted radiator core replaced by Newquay Radiators at Roche Industrial estate in 2020, cost £146 core, painted & pressure tested, if your rad has brass end tanks, might be worth a phone call. 

https://www.radiator-repairs.co.uk/

They quoted me £600 plus vat for a brass ended plus integral oil cooler ex 19j rad :-/

44 minutes ago, Maverik said:

full aluminium radiators if used hard they can be prone to cracking

Interesting - didn't know that

Think I'll go with this one...

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Run

It was just a thought. Somebody must be buying them though...

That's for a re-core. Followed up with the comment that it's a lot more expensive than it used to be.

Drifting off topic now, but I'll probably go for the Britpart V8 all metal one. There don't seem to be any other affordable options...

The radiator in mine is a supeed granted is for a 200tdi. It's ok for the money but I did need to do some work on it to clear the restricted flow on the oil cooler. Given the chance I'd have a brass rad but they are over double the price.

Mike

Yeah, I'd not come across them before and just wondered...

45 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

mine is a supeed granted is for a 200tdi

How long have you had it? Think I'll go a different way, but it would be useful to know how its worked out...

After getting a quote for a Brass re-core - like above it was big money - the guy even said its probably not worth it - which I found a little odd. Anyway for the pricey sum of ~£90 I went for a Britpart Plastic/Alu unit.

I know these had a bad reputation early on, but I've had a few fold who've been running them for a good while and they've not had a problems. I put one in last year and I've not exactly done huge miles on it it seems fine and does it job a hell of a lot better than a Brass rad less half its fins.

Yeah, to be honest I've stopped caring about having a 'proper' one, the plastics have come on massively in recent years -yes, harder to repair, but you can limp most things with gaffer tape and cable ties as long as you run with the rad cap loose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

yes, harder to repair

I ran a cracked plastic radiator in my P38 for years with just some high-temp epoxy smeared over the crack without issue. Only replaced it because I didn't want to take the risk on a long trip.

• Like 2

Well personally speaking I'm not fussed about what it's made of as long as it works and is reliable. I've got a V8 3.9 EFi and I'm going to hot places - and the UK is getting hotter too! 

So I'm looking for the fattest fella I can find. That doesn't cost a fortune. And don't want the integral oil cooler. The regular 3.5 carb models seem to be ESR76 and ESR203 (parts book p596) - anybody know the difference between those? I'm assuming ESR76 is skinnier - Island are listing them as also for the 2.5NA diesel:

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/radiator-petrol-25na-britpart-esr76-esr79-p-6013.html

That's the engine I'm replacing so I have that radiator already? 

I'll give Island a ring later, but any other contenders I should be thinking about?

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

Is it worth getting another quote

You're right - I'd recoiled in horror.

Called Ken Allen - they reckoned around £400 plus VAT

I feel myself drifting towards the rocky shores of Britpart...

25 minutes ago, Phill S said:

You're right - I'd recoiled in horror.

Called Ken Allen - they reckoned around £400 plus VAT

I feel myself drifting towards the rocky shores of Britpart...

I ran my truck on the VNT last year with the britpart rad and a VNT does run hot, and never had a problem with the Britpart rad. for the price you can replace it a good few times if you need too! - its a shame to have to revert to such logic in my opinion, but I was pretty much exactly where you are.

Blimey 

I had my 80” re-cored a couple of years back, and I can’t remember the exact cost but it was at least half that price, and that was with a huge core and replacing the feed and return pipes with larger ones to match the new engine - and with 70 year old tanks. 

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

I've been running the Britpart plastic ended 19J type rad with built in oil cooler with my 3.9 v8 for a few years and it hasn't failed yet.

Bingo! I think that's the one I want. Any chance you could measure the thickness of the matrix for me?

I dragged out my radiator collection this morning:

20220719_110104.thumb.jpg.219533a9984fc4c0b99a8dea5963411f.jpg

Left to right:

My original 2.5 NA diesel one ESR79 48mm thick

The 19J one I've been getting prices to re-core NTC6168 - with oil cooler - 65mm

My Disco donor one 51mm

So yours must be NTC6168? 

Up in sunny Northumberland, alloy radiators (regardless of brand) last about two winters before they turn to dust and all the fins drop off, the amount of salt spray in the winter is horrendous...

Proper brass n copper jobbies are the way to go.

14 hours ago, JeffR said:

salt spray in the winter is horrendous

Yeah - we get that down here in a different way 😉

storm-penzance-promenade-photography-36.jpg.b7174d53d1bca49d60e95b27f6839c7b.jpg

14 hours ago, JeffR said:

Proper brass n copper jobbies are the way to go

I guess I'll keep my old 19J one on the shelf and think again when the Britpart one dies.

This thread has moved a long way away from my original question, but has actually become very useful both to myself and anybody else figuring out what radiator to use. Is there a way to change the title?

In the meantime if any kind soul can offer a measurement of the thickness of the stock V8 rad (ESR203?) and particularly the 19J one (NTC6168) I'd be eternally grateful. I'll be needing to place an order with Mr Britpart quite soon...