Body work

Hi,

I have a question about Defender body panels.

Went to look at one recently and liked the Landy but it had at some point in its life had extended wheel arches fitted.

The issue being it had been put back to standard arches leaving holes in the bodywork.

So stupid question time:

Is there an easy/cheap option because it looks a mess as it is. Current owner isn't very receptive to this being a major problem for someone else who wants a nice looking Landy (It is an off roader currently and this obviously doesn't bother them at all).

I'm guessing the front wing outer skin could be replaced? How easy a job is this is it bolt on easy DIY job? But this will add to the expense as I'm assuming new wing skins aren't cheap and it'll need professionally painting ☹️.

I wouldn't fancy changing the whole rear tub either. But I'm guessing filling the holes in such a thin panel isn't going to last long.

I know the best option would be to replace all the panels and paint it but I'd like to explore other easier and cheaper options if they exist at all.

I'm hoping someone may have come across this before and come up with a solution that worked.

Whatever you do barring fitting wheel arch extensions, paint will be required, if you want to keep it cheap then just repair. I'm not familiar with the holes left by extended wheel arches but I would imagine they are not very big. A good quality body filler would hide these, just make sure the filler has a good key inside and outside of the wing ( spread it outwith the hole diameter on the inside to add strength ). The holes could also be filled with aluminium brazing, but that will depend upon how confident your feeling, tig would also work, although cost will be higher, obviously new panels will be the most expensive regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Easiest would be to re fit extended arches? 

Ha ha yes that is an even easier option 😂 but I don't like the look of them!

I'm guessing someone else didn't either which is why they have been changed back.

25 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Whatever you do barring fitting wheel arch extensions, paint will be required, if you want to keep it cheap then just repair. I'm not familiar with the holes left by extended wheel arches but I would imagine they are not very big. A good quality body filler would hide these, just make sure the filler has a good key inside and outside of the wing ( spread it outwith the hole diameter on the inside to add strength ). The holes could also be filled with aluminium brazing, but that will depend upon how confident your feeling, tig would also work, although cost will be higher, obviously new panels will be the most expensive regards Stephen

You are right they are small. I've attached a pic but not sure how well you can see them.

I see what you mean so spread the filler on the inside of the wing so it has something to grip!

Screenshot_2022-08-02-15-56-06-56_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

11 minutes ago, Defender said:

You are right they are small. I've attached a pic but not sure how well you can see them.

I see what you mean so spread the filler on the inside of the wing so it has something to grip!

Screenshot_2022-08-02-15-56-06-56_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

I would key both sides and push filled through from the back to ensure holes are full and filled has a thickness spread at the back for strength, if you only fill from the front and then sand back you will have a very thin skin over the holes that may crack out with wing vibrations eff regards Stephen

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, muddy said:

depending on the ruggedness of the rest of it some colour matched pop rivets is a cheap and easy option.

Exactly this is what I was coming here to say, stick some rivets in and dab then with a bit of body coloured paint.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

I dont know how it would finish but I would sikaflex some ali off cuts to the inside of the panel behind the holes and then a skim of filler on the outside and paint. 

Bit of fine mesh works better 👍

Mo

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 9:55 PM, reb78 said:

I dont know how it would finish but I would sikaflex some ali off cuts to the inside of the panel behind the holes and then a skim of filler on the outside and paint. 

I was going to say the same but with JB weld.

Whatever you do, you are going to have to paint it, and matching that up will be difficult, but that depends on how good you expect it to be.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

I was going to say the same but with JB weld.

Whatever you do, you are going to have to paint it, and matching that up will be difficult, but that depends on how good you expect it to be.

Ok thanks not heard of that product before so will look into it thanks 👍.

6 minutes ago, Defender said:

Ok thanks not heard of that product before so will look into it thanks 👍.

JB weld is very good but in my experience it needs support or a dam to keep it in place until it sets, difficult to do if your keeping the wings in position regards Stephen

Edit. Have a look at Plastic Padding products, I've found that they are excellent, always keeps some handy, quick setting times regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

I think trying to hide or cover them will be difficult to get the desired effect of never having had the holes in the first place. I would do as suggested above and put rivets in the holes with a blob of paint on top. They won't look out of place and will blend in nicely looking intentional rather than a repair or cover up. 

If it’s been someone’s off-roader I’d be more worried whether  the chassis is full of mud and rotting away from the inside than those holes ? At least it’s not just been resprayed over a multitude of sins I suppose, but there’s lots for sale and it’s worth looking for the right one for you