200tdi not well

miketomcat

14 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

Thermostats along with many other parts are rubbish these days  - I no longer use anything but waxstat in the workshop and even then they can be faulty out of the box. Think I went through four new stats before getting a good one in my own 200tdi.   

I had this with waxstat too. The vdo guage was showing it wasnt opening until 97C! Soon took that one out!

Radiator was fine before the head gasket so doubt it's changed. Changing the thermostat made no difference to the symptoms so that should be fine. It's possible the head gasket has gone again but last time it didn't get hot until it was utterly dead (it took 700 miles of towing to kill it completely). 

Mike

9 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Radiator was fine before the head gasket so doubt it's changed. Changing the thermostat made no difference to the symptoms so that should be fine. It's possible the head gasket has gone again but last time it didn't get hot until it was utterly dead (it took 700 miles of towing to kill it completely). 

Mike

Did you check the true of the head ?

21 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Scotland is like that. I'm wondering if your head is warped. Quite possible after many hard miles on a blown head gasket..

I'm beginning to think the same. Fridge has given me some leak dye so I'll try that and if nothing the head will come off and I'll check/skim it. If I can get this one to behave I can buy time to sort the other one.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I'm beginning to think the same. Fridge has given me some leak dye so I'll try that and if nothing the head will come off and I'll check/skim it. If I can get this one to behave I can buy time to sort the other one.

Mike

It's a damn site less time to whip the head off, strip it, get it skimmed and put it back on

But enough about Mike

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

I think along with @Mo Murphy's issues it's a sign 200Tdis aren't long of this world anymore and everyone should be switching to V8s...

(cue questions about when I'm going to get around to fit the 1UZ into the 110...)

Nice idea but given I can barely afford to run a TDI, a TD5 is out of the question let alone a V8. It still astonishes me that the most economical engine land rover ever used in a defender/discovery is a 35 year old design with roots going back even further.

Mike

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

There was an SL35Ti that came up for sale near me for less money than 200Tdis go for...

That just costs you more money in gearboxes though :ph34r: big diesels and LR drivetrains never seem to get along.

Also, conversions bring other issues and I doubt many will better the 200's MPG in a 2-ton brick - certainly not enough to pay for themselves.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That just costs you more money in gearboxes though :ph34r: big diesels and LR drivetrains never seem to get along.

Also, conversions bring other issues and I doubt many will better the 200's MPG in a 2-ton brick - certainly not enough to pay for themselves.

How many gearboxes did TJ go through in the 130 with the Mazda in the end? :lol: 

17 hours ago, miketomcat said:

So I've put the leak dye in and been for a drive. The good news is there's no sign of a leak. The bad news is I've lost some water and there's no sign of a leak. :blink:

Mike

Might be worth doing one of the chemical tests for fuel / combustion products in the coolant?  I had a similar problem with a 200 - it was drinking a couple of litres of water every 100 miles with no obvious leaks, no water in the oil.  Chemical test showed positive, changed the head gasket and the problem went away!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, simonr said:

Might be worth doing one of the chemical tests for fuel / combustion products in the coolant?  I had a similar problem with a 200 - it was drinking a couple of litres of water every 100 miles with no obvious leaks, no water in the oil.  Chemical test showed positive, changed the head gasket and the problem went away!

To be honest I think I'm beyond tests, I'm fairly sure the head gasket has gone again. I think the head needs skimming but to be fair it got us home so I can't complain. I might drag the head off the other engine get it skimmed then I can just pull this one off and swap. That way it's off the road for the minimum time. Then I can get this one skimmed when I rebuild the other engine.

Mike

• Like 2

It seems to take only a couple of thou out and they start to leak, I had a similar carry on earlier this year after I'd had the head off and given it a clean up myself with a bit of scotchbright - I spoke to the chap doing the skimming and he confirmed they're pretty "sensitive".