200TDi: Injectors and Torque

Hello!
I recently removed and cleaned all four injectors from my 200TDi Defender engine. I've put it back together and it started! So I already feel I'm winning 😉 

When reassembling I tightened up the retaining plate/fork/thing on the stud that holds the injector in, but not too tight. Is there a torque setting for this or is it just 'tight'? I don't want to go too far and snap the stud....

image.thumb.jpeg.d48ec257bdfd31dfb91ee8e35fa03cb3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1d071a30d9f772f47bd11f368214653b.jpeg

Shine a light into the hole in the head to check there is no dirt, soot or old copper washer in there that might prevent a good seating of the injector. Make sure the injector is clean and has a new copper washer fitted. Refit the injector making sure the washer is in place correctly, fit the clamp, making sure the threads on the stud are clean and then tighten carefully to the correct torque. 

There's quite a variation in aftermarket injector washers I've seen for tdis. Some slightly thicker solid ones probably require a bit more clamping force before they deform and seal. Used ones probably need annealing too. But like Mike despite careful prep, I've sometimes needed a couple of extra nips to get a seal. Old engines, used heads etc.

6 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I wonder if new injector washers should be annealed as a matter of course, just in case they have been on a shelf somewhere for ages? I don't know how long 'ages' is though.

"pure" copper doesn't age harden , so no need to anneal the washers ... i think the quality of the washers has more impact on how they perform ..

(for this reason i use original landrover washers for the injectors  (and so far they still seal))

6 minutes ago, hurbie said:

"pure" copper doesn't age harden , so no need to anneal the washers ... i think the quality of the washers has more impact on how they perform ..

(for this reason i use original landrover washers for the injectors  (and so far they still seal))

It does'nt age harden but it does work harden, compressing the copper washer every time it is tightened up is work hardening, annealing  the washer will soften it to allow it to compress easier again 

regards Stephen

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

It does'nt age harden but it does work harden, compressing the copper washer every time it is tightened up is work hardening, annealing  the washer will soften it to allow it to compress easier again 

regards Stephen

yep , that's the only thing copper does ...work harden ..
the "original" injector seals have a small ridge pressed in to the washer , this flattens when torqued. so no sence in trying to anneal these ...

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Are 2.5 N/A injectors and 200 Tdi injectors swoppable ?

No, they are not. The pre-Tdi engines are indirect injection so have the stubby, smally injectors made by CAV. The Tdi engines are direct injection so have the longer, thinner injectors made by Bosch.