Heavy duty clutch options?

Anyone running a HD clutch in a 200Tdi?

Been having some clutch slipping issues, changed the entire clutch a few years back, but the release bearing has failed (just pulled the engine this morning). So looking for suggestions.

Have seen this:

https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutches/clutch-kits/powerspec-tdi-200-300tdi-bundle-deal/?v=79cba1185463

Bit spendy, is there anything else worth considering? Thanks.

Thanks. To be fair the engine is tweaked quite a bit. Hence the issues with slipping clutches I think. Although I don’t know the cause of the release bearing failure other than bad luck.

Really hoping to not have to do this again anytime soon. First clutch came from Ashcroft, can’t recall the brand but known quality parts. Worked ok for a bit but bad clutch slip in 4th & 5th if you floored it and sometimes even 3rd. 

The replacement was off eBay but again should have been good bits. Clutch didn’t slip as often but was still possible. Then something failed and lost half the pedal travel, which I’m assuming is due to the completely failed release bearing. 

So I don’t mind going for a more suitable replacement.

I’m not one for Facebook. So no idea what may have happened on there. 

I'm assuming you have a LT77 gearbox, if not & it's a stumpy R380 with  the FRC5200 release bearing will make the clutch slip, as that bearing is to long, I found that out the hard way & had to split engine & gearbox to fit the UTJ100260 instead, itsappron 10mm shorter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I imported and fitted uprated Clutchfix clutches to all our vehicles - two 300Tdis and a 2.2 Puma - a couple of years ago. They were the ones sold as something like "20% stronger but still the same pedal effort".

Although they work fine, all three now cause the gearboxes to rattle like hell when everything is warmed up - which they didn't when new and nor did the original clutches that came out - so there is obviously play somewhere. Now I don't know whether to worry about them failing (the whole point of fitting them was to be able to fit and forget for some time), change them and go back to standard, or just shrug and live with it in the hope it might be an 'undocumented feature' and hope that nothing goes bang when I'm in the middle of nowhere. None of them have done a lot of miles or had a lot of hard use.

9 hours ago, western said:

I'm assuming you have a LT77 gearbox, if not & it's a stumpy R380 with  the FRC5200 release bearing will make the clutch slip, as that bearing is to long, I found that out the hard way & had to split engine & gearbox to fit the UTJ100260 instead, itsappron 10mm shorter. 

Ta. Yeah it’s an LT77. 

• Like 1

I have used the Britpart HD clutches in a few heavily tweaked TDis without issue, and have re fitted them without hesitation, once because I found a broken spring in the drive plate when doing a rear main (40k miles and no sign of anything wrong till I got into it) and once when putting a new gearbox in.

Clutchfix,LOF,IRB ect etc seem to have a similar following to Lanogaurd/buzzweld/snakeoil products that explode into popularity claiming to be the next best thing but in reality are probably just as good as what's already available. Its easy to be good when its new....

Before anyone jumps on me yes I have just tarred with one big broad brush but you get my point......

Not really much to add, except I won't fit the 130HD clutch again. When I fitted the TGV I had whatever Motor and Diesel were selling as the HD clutch option at the time, but I could smell the clutch when pushing hard on the motorway (33" tyres and overdrive). When I had gearbox problems I took the opportunity to try a 130HD clutch. It was OK for a few months, but the centre plate collapsed and all the springs escaped at the Shires 7S event. I fitted another, which didn't do much better.

Motor and Diesel offered an 'Extra HD' clutch, with the caveat that the gearbox would rattle  (I assume the damping springs are too stiff for the rotating mass) and at a fearsome price. I have no idea what it was, as M&D had removed all the identifiable part numbers (I fully understand why, and I'm not complaining, but I don't have to like it either!). That has lasted at least 10 years and 150k miles - it's been so long I've forgotten the details.

I had sort of mentally pencilled-in LOF for when I need another, but without any particular reasoning, other than they weren't pushing paddle clutches that have no place in a Land Rover. Like @muddy I'm suspicious when something new is held up as the ultimate based on advertising and little or no relevant track record, but I know the TGV will want something better than standard tdi.

Given the age of every tdi out there, it might be worth getting the flywheel refaced ?

• Like 1

I think that is straying a little OT.

However, for me personally I most certainly not go for an auto with a Tdi. As it would be an old school dumb auto, so no lockup at cruising speeds and no engine braking off road. As well as a slow and dim witted kickdown. All would equal poor performance, poor mpg and lot less fun and control.

I run a Borg and Beck standard 200tdi clutch. My 200Tdi is running about 70ft/lb more than standard and I regularly tow all up. It's been in since 2014. I have had the flywheel re-faced when I fitted it, becuase the previous clutch plate was fitted backwards!

Borg and Beck is now Valeo, or the other way round. In 11 vehicles, with 12 200tdi engines, I've only ever fitted the 130 clutch once. All the others were standard 200 tdi/LT77 clutches

I have I think the same clutch as @TSDin a 300 with VNT, and it is a bit rattly but so far has been reliable including trailer towing and manouevring, over about 5 years. I think it is AP basically but built to M&D  spec. Its Valeo predecessor catastrophically lost the springs in the middle. (Ie the middle of the clutch plate and also the middle of Chorley.)

23 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

@Chicken Drumstick

Drummer, I have a powerspec clutch here that you can try. Came out of mine as im Converting mine to auto. Couple of years weekend use but still lots of life in it if you want it.

FOC

Mo

That's very kind. Let me see what my schedule is like for collecting. 👍