Do I need to separate engine/gearbox again?

47 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Of course, if you all became enlightened and fitted an autobox there wouldn't be any of this sort of nonsense!

mmmm i seem to remember a very short time ago , some poor soul had a autobox without drive .....

• Haha 3

I seem to remember ~one post a week with no drive, clutch blown apart, release bearing failure, pivot, arm, clutch hydraulics, pedal...... 

But don't take the rose tinted specs off just yet 😛

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, steve b said:

Sometimes it's just a sod of a job for no apparent reason and other times they just push together with no effort or time taken, from experience when it is hard work keeping a cool head is so important :)

Steve

Strangely, every time I do the job, it goes together more smoothly than last time, even on a completely different vehicle!  And using my bodged together sockets...

Well, except for the time I put a clapped out Range Rover motor in an ultra-cheap Stage One (obviously some time ago).  Embarrassingly, I failed to notice there was no thrust bearing until it was all running.  However, it wasn't a difficult fix.  Drained the radiator, went inside and had breakfast, came back out and pulled the engine forward, hanging off a tractor bucket with endless chain, fitted the bearing, put it together, test drive and went in for lunch.  Land Rovers are soooo easy.  (Proper ones.  It takes longer to replace an alternator on a Freelander 2, sigh)

Edited by deep
  • Like 1

New clutch plate arrived. Managed a little time in the garage to check it fits on the gearbox splines, thrust bearing okay and fitted to flywheel. Hopefully get some time tomorrow to fit the engine back to the gearbox. Will lube it up for sure. 🙂

Thanks again for all the tips. Keeping them in mind.

Simon...

IMG-1292.jpg

IMG-1293.jpg

IMG-1298.jpg

IMG-1299.jpg

IMG-1302.jpg

• Like 1

What we usually do is get the engine and gearbox somewhat aligned, and then put some long threaded rods into the bellhousing holes. This keeps everything aligned while trying to get the splines to engage, without the pressure of bolts.

Then usually you can push on the engine while rotating the crank and it'll pop in.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I seem to remember ~one post a week with no drive, clutch blown apart, release bearing failure, pivot, arm, clutch hydraulics, pedal...... 

But don't take the rose tinted specs off just yet 😛

Whahahaha...  the reason why there is a auto behind my Mazda...  But that has it's own set of hurdle's 😁

Edited by Wytze
Behind, not between🙈
  • Haha 1

I hope that isn’t RTV sealant between bell housing and flywheel housing!  I usually apply heavy grease, though Hylomar might be an option, but silicone would be a bugger next time you have to separate them and RTV would be the devil’s own job to get apart!

36 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I've never used sealant on any bellhousing, it's not like it has fluid in it (well, not supposed to....) 

I would think of it the other way round, to keep things out... btw I'm an rtv maniac 😎

Edited by muzaz