Is there a decent Courier

Stellaghost

No, it's not, I'm not articulate today so this isn't exactly what I mean, sorry, but the pool of potential employees is more biased towards people who who've not had the best of lives when the salaries are lower, and there's no additional benefits, so that element pool of the people are less likely to have had the excellent role models are more likely to have less self respect and thus cut corners and so forth.

I knew I'd say it wrong, not enough sleep or coffee: I certainly didn't express my self well. I wasn't aiming at any social class, or perhaps aiming at all classes.

If I said otherwise, my apologies.

Regardless of origin, there will always be those who do not subscribe to the values that support and enhance society. They either do very well, or very badly, the latter don't hold onto jobs and so short term driving is attractive to them.

Recent trends to absolve (wrong word) people of personal responsibility and accountability don't help.

I’m sure the job would be easier if the companies tried harder to efficiently pack the vans. The parcels and items just appear to be thrown in. There’s no order; no obvious attempt to organise by drop or group of drops.

The bigger items are harder to arrange but easier to see, although I bet their delivery notes don’t state the size, or even “big” “long” “bent”.

Small items could be in semi-organised racks or open bags, by street or postcode or block number.

Time to retrieve a package would be an interesting measure but possibly not practicable.

It's not just them. The yard loaders at Dyfed Steel apparently take perverse pleasure in loading the first delivery first.

During COVID the drivers were loading their own lorries. One left the yard an hour later than normal but he stacked things in the order of the drops. He made it home 3h earlier than normal... 

Normally he'd go to CLH first as they were understanding and had plenty of yard space so he could use the forklift to unload and reorder everything at the first drop. 

10 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I’m sure the job would be easier if the companies tried harder to efficiently pack the vans. The parcels and items just appear to be thrown in. There’s no order; no obvious attempt to organise by drop or group of drops.

The bigger items are harder to arrange but easier to see, although I bet their delivery notes don’t state the size, or even “big” “long” “bent”.

Small items could be in semi-organised racks or open bags, by street or postcode or block number.

Time to retrieve a package would be an interesting measure but possibly not practicable.

The other thing seems to be not grouping deliveries either…. 4 or 5 different drivers in a single day all with Amazon parcels to one road! 

Today (Wednesday18th Oct) I have seen a YouTube video on the Barum Engines channel in which, in passing, he extols the qualities of the shipping company he uses , Inexpress. I saw no link in the video, but searching for Inexpress reveals a big international company.

I'm not going to watch any more of his posts, I don't like his presentation style. but those of you who have courier problems may have different criteria.

Regards.

I can say that some couriers optimise delivery routes to fill a certain amount of time so that the drivers 'earn' the day rate.  Hence if you stand on the main road in this town all day you will watch the same vans drive past you multiple times, and drivers even share their dispare with me when they have both (or even three) turned up to the very same address at the same time with multiple small parcels from the same sender/consignment. 

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revive this thread but...

Can I just add "APC overnight" to the list of utterly useless, incompetent, halfwits that make up the shambles that is the courier business.

Never use this bunch of idiots.

There, I feel better now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pat_pending said:

Sorry to revive this thread but...

Can I just add "APC overnight" to the list of utterly useless, incompetent, halfwits that make up the shambles that is the courier business.

Never use this bunch of idiots.

There, I feel better now.

Always feels good to get it off your chest.

You should have see some of the rants I had at FedEx when they duplicated an import invoice, and tried to charge me twice, there customer service was so bad it drove me bonkers, took hours to get through on the phone, about half the time when you said it was a invoice issue they used to say send an email and hang up, never once got a sensible reply to an email, most were clearly automated others were so idiotic they either hadn't read the email, where answering some one else and sending it to me, or were being creatively incompetent. Best was from a "manager" who admitted it was a duplicate invoice and the genuine bill had been paid but still insisted I should pay again and suggested I copied the genuine VAT invoice and submitted it several more times to get claim the VAT back and cover paying them for there mistake, pretty sure trying to claim the same VAT several times is not legal! and as a private importer for personal use I can't claim anything back anyway.

I gave them grief on every place I could find and eventually they decided to drop the charge, took 9 months though.

If you want a laugh look at FedEx UK on TrustPilot, its pretty bad.

It's a confusing picture. Most couriers that serve here are good, apart from Evri who were the last to cause me grief. FedEx is one of the best. A few weeks ago the driver rang me to say that he probably couldn't get up the hill due to snow. He made a good effort and got part way in reverse. I went to meet him.

Today he delivered at 8:15am. This was a small packet from the USA. It only left there on Wednesday, was in their Sheffield depot on Saturday.

The UPS driver on this route has done it for years; the Parcelforce one the same.

Some company drivers are salaried but others paid per drop. The drops around here are spread out and they really have to cover the ground. I think the per-drop wage drivers are probably the issue but you can see why.

It appears it's down to local depots or drivers as APC seem to get mostly decent reviews nationally, however my two local depots get the worst reviews I've ever seen.

My experience of them backs this up.

How can any business do things so badly?

When Tuffnels went out of business and then got bought out, their depot was shut so instead every morning they took over our work car park (illegally and despite being repeatedly told not to) with about 6 vans, a truck would turn up, throw hundreds of packages literally onto the tarmac in a big pile, and then they'd gradually load up the vans and head out. Utter chaos. Then again they were always rubbish...

Luckily they stopped doing it as I did offer the boss that I'd bring the 109 to work and drive right through the pile of parcels on the way to my parking space :lol:

• Haha 3

I've normally had reasonable experiences, however yesterday I had a parcel returned to me for no apparent reason. Now I've got to try to work out why and re send it. The worst bit is it's an eBay item that I didn't want to send but the guy asked if I would so now I'm £10 out of pocket on an item that only sold for £26+p&p.

Mike

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JeffR said:

APC is an acronym for "All Parcels Crushed".... don't ask, the swear filter will not be able to cope

I suppose I was lucky they never got hold of my parcel then.

Probably because they'd been calling at the wrong address to collect it... Three times!

14 hours ago, landroversforever said:

What happened Jeff? :lol: 

Last week sometime (memory is messed up with morphine -been in hospital, again) I ordered 1000 small glass vials (use em for storing insect specimens). Delivered by APC overnight (yeah, well their idea of overnight and my idea of overnight are not even remotely similar) so they arrived a couple of days later in a box that looks like someone reversed over it a few times. Now most sensible folks would realise that if a box full of glass rattles, something is rather amiss....Not APC.

Still arguing with the persons of doubtful parentage.

Then i ended up in A&E at Carlisle....Useless bit of info - blues and twos trip in ambulance along A69 with curtains open and on morphine is REALLY trippy.

• Sad 1

I have mentioned this before on another rant thread about couriers but it's worth it again. I ordered some 4' led tubes from Toolstation, to replace fluorescents, home delivery. Two were broken when I opened them. They happily sent out two more and one of those was broken.

So I thought I'd do them a favour and got that one replaced but arranged collection at their nearest place. When I arrived at the counter the lad went to get it and came back with the long cardboard tube completely bent in half and presented it to me. Much merriment was had. I couldn't get angry as it was so hilarious.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 2:31 PM, landroversforever said:

Useless :(. Hope you're doing ok Jeff! 

Not so well! Now on  a 3 month driving ban for a few minor health issues - unstable angina, secondary polycythemia (too many red blood cells produced - GPs suggestion of moving to the Andes or foothills of the Himalayas caused a serious fit of giggles) and out of control blood pressure.... Really buggering up getting the 110 done

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1