Springs.... Or wife won't go in it again

So 8 years ago when the 200tdi 1993 defender 90 finally broke down enough that I couldn't be bothered to fix it I was a young man. I had no wife, no child and apparently a spine that could absorb falling off a building.

Fast forward to now and the HD springs that gave my defender a very important must have 1 inch left are ruining me. They are hateful! And my wife is now refusing to go anywhere in the land rover which is a shame, mostly. 

So what's peoples recommendations? I don't care about lifting it 2inches really. I just want to be comfortable! It has new shocks on which seem ok. 

I assume normal 90 ones, but we will be towing our caravan with it... Assuming she ever gets in it again of course.. so do I need to think about the rear ones?

So what have people got and why!

Gratiotius land rover photo because why not. The ratty paint is a theft deterrent, as is the ratty interior 😄

Thanks! 

PXL_20240101_111048200.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, andy.cowman said:

So 8 years ago when the 200tdi 1993 defender 90 finally broke down enough that I couldn't be bothered to fix it I was a young man. I had no wife, no child and apparently a spine that could absorb falling off a building.

Fast forward to now and the HD springs that gave my defender a very important must have 1 inch left are ruining me. They are hateful! And my wife is now refusing to go anywhere in the land rover which is a shame, mostly. 

So what's peoples recommendations? I don't care about lifting it 2inches really. I just want to be comfortable! It has new shocks on which seem ok. 

I assume normal 90 ones, but we will be towing our caravan with it... Assuming she ever gets in it again of course.. so do I need to think about the rear ones?

So what have people got and why!

Gratiotius land rover photo because why not. The ratty paint is a theft deterrent, as is the ratty interior 😄

Thanks! 

Ultimately there are lots and lots of options. A 90 should ride pretty well though, a bit of pitching due to the short wheel base and it is live axle. But ride quality should be quite good. Although many things can impact ride, such as the tyres you run and the pressure they are at. As well as the bushes, the dampers and the springs.

Standard springs are perfectly good for general use. If you plan to off road and want more travel with longer shocks, then there are options. Also if you plan to tow or haul then you can tailor to that setup.

I really like the Flatdog springs, as they show you length and spring rate. 

https://www.flatdoguk.com/search.asp?types=fd+springs

My brother has the standard rate +2" springs. These give about a 1" lift due to being longer, but being standard spring rate they ride like stock. HD springs are really for hauling heavy loads.

https://www.flatdoguk.com/def-90-%2B2"-%2F-std~339

There are other options if you want to go softer spring still, although you may want an anti roll bar if they are too soft for road to prevent excessive lean. Shocks can also play a big part in suspension comfort. Do you know what make shocks you have now?

Echoing the above comments, original springs will give the best results. If a lift or a slight lift is wanted then spacers is the best solution. I was using Terrafirma gas shocks but wasn't really impressed with them therefore changed to Koni's on the Defender and they made a real difference comfort wise. 

As has been said, standard genuine LR springs and Disco 1 rubber donuts on top if you want a bit of lift, and also help with noise. 

Shock absorbers make a lot of difference, but there are lots and lots of options, and most aftermarket ones, "standard" replacements, seem to be a one size fits all, so you don't know what the rates are.

This is quite useful if you haven’t found it: http://red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

I can’t remember exactly what I have on - standard 90 read I think, but I have the progressive yellow/yellow springs on both side of the front from memory: NRC8045.

I’ve two more which I plan to put on the back, so the same spring all round, to soften it up back there.  With good dampers the progressive springs make a nice ride.

The standard 90 fronts at 175lb rate - the progressives are 155 - 215, so softer on the first part of their movement and the. Firmer as they compress more. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, lots to sort through!

It has standard terra firma shocks which are pretty new, so first stop will be standard springs rates from FlatDog as I like supporting things made here. Then we can review the next step! Probably look at changing shocks as well. I have had Biksteins and Koni on other cars over the years and they were certainly excellent! 

So the disco donuts are straight forward to fit?

Also need to finish off the sound proofing and change the seats!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, andy.cowman said:

Thanks everyone, lots to sort through!

It has standard terra firma shocks which are pretty new, so first stop will be standard springs rates from FlatDog as I like supporting things made here. Then we can review the next step! Probably look at changing shocks as well. I have had Biksteins and Koni on other cars over the years and they were certainly excellent! 

So the disco donuts are straight forward to fit?

Also need to finish off the sound proofing and change the seats!

The Disco isloators are just rubber donut rings that sit on the top of the spring to create a barrier between the metal spring touching the inside of the upper metal spring seat. I'd guess real world they are worth 5-10mm lift tops. Not enough that you'd be able to eyeball it. And while in theory they should reduce NVH, I doubt anyone would be sensitive to know a vehicle with or without them. The Discovery had a whole host of NVH changes over a Defender, which collectively improve NVH and refinement a lot. Although the biggest change is having the body as a body tub mounted and isolated away from the chassis on rubber donuts. Something you'll never be able to recreate on a Defender.

Are you shocks standard length or longer? If standard, the standard length spring will work fine. If you have longer shocks the +2 standard rate spring is less likely to dislocate or fall out of the spring seat when off road. 

Also from a lot of reading, and hoping, to get a little extra lift again of 1cm but also possibly a little smoother through the chassis I am collecting a pair of RBC100111 for the front and ANR2938 for the rear. For about £20 it seems worth a try for a possible benefit. 

I think thats right! 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:13 AM, andy.cowman said:

Just as an update - spoke to FlatDog today and getting a set of standard springs off them :) should be a decent start to getting it riding nicely.

Which standard ones are they going for Andy ?  The progressive ones ? 

4 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Which standard ones are they going for Andy ?  The progressive ones ? 

Hello, I called them in the end be went through what we are doing with it and ended up coming away with the standard ones here http://www.flatdoguk.com/def-90-std-height-%2f-std~255

Should arrive tomorrow! So that's the job for Saturday. I got the RX8 seats in as well whilst keeping the centre seat for our little lad and a load more sound proofing has arrived. The seats are really comfy! And the size difference is hilarious as shown in the photo to what was there. Any one after a tatty set of modular seats to re trim? Once its all nice and comfy do I pull the m57 engine and 6speed zf out of my old x5 and shove them in the defender?! I am so tempted!

PXL_20240121_151354917.jpg

Edited by andy.cowman
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 11:23 PM, Mutley said:

Well if the WIFE won't go in it again, the plus side is at least the WHINING Noise has STOPPED!?! 🤣

Or one finds out that it is the gearbox/transfer box/axle that has been making that whining noise after all....

14 hours ago, JeffR said:

Or one finds out that it is the gearbox/transfer box/axle that has been making that whining noise after all....

Haha that was a month ago - ended up doing new front prop, ujs, diff rear seal, removed and inspected the diff, new gaskets, new wheel bearings, one new stub axle and new brakes.......then it was me whining about the state of my bank account. 

Springs have arrived and they are very yellow! Got the first one in last night so hopefully today the other three will follow

PXL_20240125_121825088.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 8:00 PM, Anderzander said:

Once its all nice and comfy do I pull the m57 engine and 6speed zf out of my old x5 and shove them in the defender?! I am so tempted!

Great idea, what else can you do with an old X5?

1 hour ago, andy.cowman said:

Haha that was a month ago - ended up doing new front prop, ujs, diff rear seal, removed and inspected the diff, new gaskets, new wheel bearings, one new stub axle and new brakes.......then it was me whining about the state of my bank account. 

Springs have arrived and they are very yellow! Got the first one in last night so hopefully today the other three will follow

PXL_20240125_121825088.jpg

Was there much of a price difference between those and genuine?

Steve

5 hours ago, steve b said:

Was there much of a price difference between those and genuine?

Steve

I dont know! I was so scarred from how much landrover wanted for a hazard warning switch I didnt even think to call them!