A "Proper OUCH" - I thought I was doing the right thing - 2 Hours in A&E

Ouch 😣

If you are someone who’s using a grinder etc pay attention !

I ended up in A&E emergency eye surgery for near 2 hours whilst a lovely team of surgeons poked and prodded long needles into my eyes removing embedded (some deep) bits from my eyes .....
And yes sounds as much fun and as horrible as it was …. and .... I was very very lucky

Yes - I was wearing safety specs - or so I thought - before I left i was given serious knowledge from the team about what to wear, and there are safety goggles and glasses and some in fact MANY are really not suitable when grinders etc are being used ...........

I have now ordered (yep, definitely a sentence form the words "Horsey" "Door" Bolted" can be made but I really do not want this risk / experience again .....
Oh and I also can recommend to avoid this as well as I have left being given some horrendous gloop ( Chloramphenicol) to TRY to get in my eye 4 x a day for next 7 days
It’s like ultra f thick treacle and ends up as some massive over long string size length before finally entering eye about 20x more than required and face nose etc getting some as well 😂
I was warned this would be fun/annoying/Sting 😂😂😂

The advice I was given is that for grinding and cutting safety GLASSES are a no no, safety GOGGLES are ok, but likely to Mist up, and then you start moving them and take risks etc, and even a full face helmet is questionable, you should not wear 'safety glasses' where (as I had) when things blow up (mine being a slitting disk) the speed and forces can be immense and bits of dust and metal can fly up under the front bottom edges - exactly what I had ….2 days later I even found a lump of disk embedded in the workshop roof !

The surgeon advised they need to be BOTH impact (EN166)...( oh Not EN166 ?...something hits hard enough then the plastic will shatter and enter your eye) ....and have a foam surround that will take up the gaps around the edges and better yet with an elastic strap, but advised these can mist, and then the dangers can creep in ...however

Better still is one of these full face  -  these are Air Fed (in my case I save a fortune as my Air fed Speedglas welding helmet air system can be used so superb) and this has elasticated areas that seal your face fully.... every part can be replaced and the face bit has peel off covers to extend life of face front before changing them - when you do they are just £10 peel offs are 10x for £15

He says he sees all sorts of injuries some horrendous from grinding discs etc - for me all taken on board - so be warned, he has seen 7 peeps this month with 'sight damage' - some wearing no safety kit at all, some with just like me..... just not good enough ....

For quick jobs then a foam / face sealed might be ok, ...but again... he said he has people coming in with 'facial wounds' and that the resin used in disks is carcinogenic, so wounds can be nastier than at fist glance (no pun intended LOL ) and grinding discs can cut a long "Chunk" of skin leaving wide wounds with debris to be removed and then wound closures etc etc ....so its not just your eyes at risk, as he says much of our faces is skin over bone.....

His advice is if you don't have (as I do now) a FULLY sealed full face mask, then use a full face mask with either goggles of safety glasses underneath, but the levels of protection drop accordingly, sealed full face EN166 > goggles under open full face> , to safety glasses under full face > to full face but open > then everything else.... its your sight you are gambling with

Grinding discs, slitting discs, and compressed air make bit move at extreme speed and forces, and the debris can enter in all directions, in my case from my lap up under the bottom of glasses in 1 bit VERY deep into my eye...

The other interesting bit of info, is eyes are the fastest healing organ in the body, so if you DO get something in your eye the eye can heal over it pretty damned quick, then its an even nastier job to get bits out, so do not delay in getting seen....

If it saves any of you from the type of visit I had - or worse - then this post has done its purpose. If you want to risk it and squint or use poor safety gear ...well, enjoy the needle, the pic is my eyes 3 days later post follow up scan....and a week on they are still "F" sore ....and was warned (and he is right) headaches at the end of the day that are just unreal.....he said 3 maybe up to 5 weeks - think of it as a daily "reminder" :rofl: 😬

Nige

461584802_2298748843798316_5909325044914748777_n.jpg

• Sad 1

Nasty and a good reminder.  I've also had to go to A&E and have needles in the eye while they picked out bits of metal that had bounced up and under the gap at the bottom of my goggles.   Nothing worse than watching a hypodermic needle coming straight at your eyeball 🙈

• Haha 1

Erm ….i did drive there …

Suz drive back as both eyes fully dilated was like a pussed Mr f Magoo

we stopped at a chippy and both went in …

I was being looked at and staff nudging each other and muttering and whispering and giving more festive glances ..  

Suz saw my dinner plate eye with the HUGE  pupils and explained I wasn’t high or on anything 😂😂😂😂

my fish and chips were near bloody Braille 😂😂😂

Thanks very much for turning your nasty experience into a lesson for all of us!

It made me think - I suppose, like many of us, I tend to think specs + ear muffs = safety gear but clearly (or not so clearly with my dirty old specs!) that's insufficient eye protection.  Funny thing, though, is that on some subconscious level I have never really trusted the safety glasses and have the habit of never having my eye(s) in line with the disc (or sawblade, chainsaw chain etc.).  On those tricky occasions when lining up the work is critical, I feel super vulnerable and get out of there as quick as I can.  Still, there have been close shaves and I consider myself more lucky than smug.  I'd suggest the combination of good protective gear and paranoid work practice is the best way to approach this sort of thing?

Flashback to when I was using a massive grinder, at face level, to take some steel out of a cattle truck when I was younger and dumber.  No goggles would have protected my face if one of the many kickbacks had connected.  How on earth have some of us made it through so many decades??

• Like 1

And I thought Financial Services was dangerous!                                                                                                                                            

Time to upgrade my PPE/ farm out some more stuff to the professionals.

Get well completely; you're a treasure, not only as an awful warning.

9 hours ago, need4speed said:

Jesus Nige your going to end up with a job in A&E the amount of time you spend in there…

Probably got a named parking space by now

• Haha 1