Failed MOT...no hazard warning connected on Series 3

90hybrid

Hi Forumers

My Series 3 has just failed its MOT on the fact it does not seem to have a hazard warning switch or circuit fitted.

I had to laugh because for 10 years I have been taking it to the same MOT station and to my knowledge it has never been fitted with one over this period....scraping the barrel as there was nothing else wrong with it.....or a more likely reason (not having a go at you Les)...the inspectors used to take pity on me as it has failed on almost everything else over the years.

Anyway I presume that a previous owner probably removed it or something.

So.....my dilema is.....what components do I need to create the circuit and also an idiots guide type of wiring diagram to follow as I have a brain the size of a walnut.

I don't care about trying to locate the original circuit etc as this may prove to be difficult looking at the bodged wiring behind the instrument panel, just a basic diagram showing what I need to join together will be brilliant.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards Charles.

What year is it? The hazard warning was only fitted later on when it became law - same as rear fog lights and reversing lights. If it's not fitted to your vehicle (and never has been) then it's not required and you can't fail on it. My local place has a chart on the wall telling you when things became law.

My Series has no hazards, reversing or fog lights and it never failed (not for those, anyway :ph34r: ) and the RR has no reverse lights (switch is broken) and it passed fine too as they're not actually required :huh: likewise it had no spare tyre in it 'cos the spare in there was illegal, did the same with the nissan and that passed as well.

What year is it? The hazard warning was only fitted later on when it became law - same as rear fog lights and reversing lights. If it's not fitted to your vehicle (and never has been) then it's not required and you can't fail on it. My local place has a chart on the wall telling you when things became law.

My Series has no hazards, reversing or fog lights and it never failed (not for those, anyway :ph34r: ) and the RR has no reverse lights (switch is broken) and it passed fine too as they're not actually required :huh: likewise it had no spare tyre in it 'cos the spare in there was illegal, did the same with the nissan and that passed as well.

Thanks Fridge....thats what I said though and I said it was a 1973 reg......and they pulled out a ancient dusty dog-eared book from an archive somewhere and showed me a paragraph where it stated - all vehicles produced after 1936 (I think the year is correct) has to have hazards fitted and any vehicles built after this date without hazards has to have them fitted retrospectively. Now I am not unhappy about this being enforced (this will improve my safety on the highway if I break down) So I am more than happy to oblige them, just need the info is all.

Regards

Thanks Fridge....thats what I said though and I said it was a 1973 reg......and they pulled out a ancient dusty dog-eared book from an archive somewhere and showed me a paragraph where it stated - all vehicles produced after 1936 (I think the year is correct) has to have hazards fitted and any vehicles built after this date without hazards has to have them fitted retrospectively. Now I am not unhappy about this being enforced (this will improve my safety on the highway if I break down) So I am more than happy to oblige them, just need the info is all.

Regards

cobblers total and utter carp - go get em. laws cannot be retrospective, what are you supposed to do with trafficators? have a central string and a clockwork motor? donkeys... ring VOSA and complain.

cobblers total and utter carp - go get em. laws cannot be retrospective, what are you supposed to do with trafficators? have a central string and a clockwork motor? donkeys... ring VOSA and complain.

Absolutely agree your series 3 was not manufactured with hazard lights, same answer as above ring VOSA and complain better still take truck back to garage and ring VOSA from their.

Regards Keith

From mot uk

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1986

A hazard warning device is not required by Regulation, but, if one is fitted, it must be tested.

The hazard warning lamp 'tell tale' may be a separate light or the same as the indicator 'tell-tale. However, it must be a flashing light.

So in other words - absolute cobblers - it doesnt need hazards and has never needed hazards - complain to VOSA!

Jon

Hi Forumers

My Series 3 has just failed its MOT on the fact it does not seem to have a hazard warning switch or circuit fitted.

I had to laugh because for 10 years I have been taking it to the same MOT station and to my knowledge it has never been fitted with one over this period....scraping the barrel as there was nothing else wrong with it.....or a more likely reason (not having a go at you Les)...the inspectors used to take pity on me as it has failed on almost everything else over the years.

Anyway I presume that a previous owner probably removed it or something.

So.....my dilema is.....what components do I need to create the circuit and also an idiots guide type of wiring diagram to follow as I have a brain the size of a walnut.

I don't care about trying to locate the original circuit etc as this may prove to be difficult looking at the bodged wiring behind the instrument panel, just a basic diagram showing what I need to join together will be brilliant.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards Charles.

I had exactly that on a '74 s3. It was easily solved with a litle 60 pence halfords bulb. dont waste your time arguing it; its just a pedantic mot man who cant believe that a crappy series landy will pass first time. He was looking forward to give it a good kicking and make his day, the miserable old b****ard. Now you p'd him of by having an old landy that almost passed, cant have that! Mot testers are like birds; dont question it, just give them what they want and its all over for another year.

Daan

I had exactly that on a '74 s3. It was easily solved with a litle 60 pence halfords bulb. dont waste your time arguing it; its just a pedantic mot man who cant believe that a crappy series landy will pass first time. He was looking forward to give it a good kicking and make his day, the miserable old b****ard. Now you p'd him of by having an old landy that almost passed, cant have that! Mot testers are like birds; dont question it, just give them what they want and its all over for another year.

Daan

Yes, I've had that attitude with the 2a but just taken the truck somewhere else.

I certainly wouldn't start retro fitting hazards (unless you really want them) as once fitted then you will have to make sure they pass each time which to my mind just increases the risk of failure. No hazards, fog/rev light or seat belts in my 2A and non required. KISS

Contact VOSA, point him to the regs or go somewhere else.

and they pulled out a ancient dusty dog-eared book from an archive somewhere and showed me a paragraph where it stated - all vehicles produced after 1936.......

Sounds to me like they have got their 1986 mixed up with their 1936.... only fifty years after all......

Numpty's like this shouldn't be allowed to MOT vehicles, I wouldn't take mine there simply on the grounds that the tester is quite simply and plainly thick as a plank, and not fit to do anything where near as complex as MOT test a vehicle.

Next he'll be failing it because you've removed the CAT.....

If you'r MOT man is right then every Series One on the road is illegal, mine has never had hazard flashers and never will have ! The earlier ones have semaphore indicators at best, can't see how you can make them into hazards but it would be very funny if they all came up and went down together !!!

The mans talking b*****ks so go get him !

As far as I can recall the only piece of equipment required to be fitted retrospectively is screen washers. Everything else, if the vehicle is manufactured before the cutoff date, can only be tested if it's working.

The easiest way to fit hazards if you want them is to use an original Lucas switch and a second flasher relay, like later series III's have.

Here's one: hazard switch on ebay

They come up regularly from £1 or so, so be patient if you want a cheap one. Full list on a new one is about £25, so don't pay more than that!

Once you have one it is wired so that when it's "off" the normal indicator wiring works as usual. With it "on" it switches out the original indicator feed, connects the left and right circuits and powers them through the second indicator relay (that you'll have to get) via an independent fused supply.

Sounds complicated, but it isn't really! What it does do is garuantee that if you have a shunt (heaven forbid!), and one or more of your indicators is broken and the normal indicator fuse gets blown, then however many indicators are left are definitely going to work.

I can dredge up a wiring diagram if you need one.

All the best, Glen

If you really want hazards there used to be kits available.

These were quite easy to fit, simply a black box the size of a fag packet with a push/pull switch on the front and about 5 wires out the back.

I saw one a couple of years ago at my local car parts shop - one of those little emporiums that smells of wet dog and shuts at midday on saturday.

Gents thanks for all your comments / support..

I have already decided I am not going to dispute the Garage or approach VOSA.

Probably find it will cause more aggro with the garage next year anyway.....and like I said, as it is more of a safety concern not having them fitted these days then what the hell may as well get the job done.

Glen, Thanks for your offer and the e-bay link...very useful.

If you have a basic diagram to hand then I would be much obliged if you could pm me.

Comment on the UK MOT structure.

I have been living here in the UK since 1994 from South Africa / Zimbabwe and having driven on those roads / seen those piles of junk / death traps driving on the roads there, you soon appreciate how carp the system is if you only have a MOT type test once and that is when you buy or sell the vehicle.

Give me the UK system anytime - warts and all.

Regards Charles.

Well my sereis when i got it had been retro fitted with hazards. I have since removed them since they were nothing but trouble, and needed fiddling with every year to get them working for the MOT. Removed them since my truck is old enough not to need them and end of problem.

Jon

Gents thanks for all your comments / support..

I have already decided I am not going to dispute the Garage or approach VOSA.

Probably find it will cause more aggro with the garage next year anyway.....and like I said, as it is more of a safety concern not having them fitted these days then what the hell may as well get the job done.

Glen, Thanks for your offer and the e-bay link...very useful.

If you have a basic diagram to hand then I would be much obliged if you could pm me.

Comment on the UK MOT structure.

I have been living here in the UK since 1994 from South Africa / Zimbabwe and having driven on those roads / seen those piles of junk / death traps driving on the roads there, you soon appreciate how carp the system is if you only have a MOT type test once and that is when you buy or sell the vehicle.

Give me the UK system anytime - warts and all.

Regards Charles.

I would take the MOT tester on & show him the relevant section, just print it out from the links given above, he can't argue against it.

What nonsense. I'd certainly NOT be fitting a hazard warning circuit as a matter of principle if I was in the same situation as you. Someone ought to make sure that tester knows the facts, as it is obvious he is unable to do that for himself.