Curious question - challenge type events

Mark Jenkins

Just wondered, after reading the responses to Lewis's thread:

Amongst the Challenge people, who takes their vehicle to site on a trailer and who drives it there? I know that the vehicles have to be road-legal but I'm curious to know how common trailering is.

Guest WALFY

Traillering is cheating. Drive the vehicle within it's limits and you are then able to drive home. If you are on portals or something special then maybe a trailler is acceptable but otherwise no.

My truck is my daily drive aswell. So it has to work again on the next working day.

Traillering is cheating. Drive the vehicle within it's limits and you are then able to drive home. If you are on portals or something special then maybe a trailler is acceptable but otherwise no.

My truck is my daily drive aswell. So it has to work again on the next working day.

It wasn't meant as a question as to the rights and wrongs of trailering, rather an enquiry as to how common it is.

Trailer ours as those expensive tyres soon wear out doing 250 miles of motorway on the weekend! Besides being a trayback theres nowhere for the camping gear/spares/pies/jaffa cakes etc. At the end of the day its a competition truck in the same way as a formula one car!! Thats not to say theres anything wrong with driving to events and home again afterwards. Its what we used to do....

Amongst the Challenge people, who takes their vehicle to site on a trailer and who drives it there? I know that the vehicles have to be road-legal but I'm curious to know how common trailering is.

I used to always drive mine to the events and pride myself on the fact i always drove it home from the events

Plus there was the fact i did not have a trailer :)

Traillering is cheating... If you are on portals or something special then maybe a trailler is acceptable but otherwise no.

What a load of macho bullsh*t! As Tim says - trailering a V8 is a perfectly reasonable excuse for trailering your vehicle about, as is not wearing out expensive tyres as per OF.

If you really spend your time at comps bragging about how you drove there and how you'll quite happily one day try to drive back 250 miles with two knackered half shafts and a shattered CV, then bully for you. Personally, life's too short, and I'd rather get home to the warm bosum of my soon to be wife than drive offsite like a wounded hero, and skulk around on the main road waiting for the AA

to maybe pick me up, if they feel like it and relay me home for six hours!

Of course - maybe your car is in fact indescructable, and I am in fact a wuss! <_<

Hi Mark,

I think every car at round 1 of the scorpion came on a trailer or truck and so did mine 475mile round trip drive it i don't think so

walfy i don,t cheat :angry: were in the rules does it say you have to drive your motor to and from events

a bit harsh Walfy

i rekcon my events 50/50 split on trailering, alot trailer i think as

guaranteed to be able to get home

donest wear tyres

can be cheaper on fuel

room for more space

alot drive as

convenient

their challenge truck is a daily driver as well

they dont break things.........

a bit harsh Walfy

i rekcon my events 50/50 split on trailering, alot trailer i think as

guaranteed to be able to get home

donest wear tyres

can be cheaper on fuel

room for more space

alot drive as

convenient

their challenge truck is a daily driver as well

they dont break things.........

And don't forget like i used to be

I simply did not have a trailer

I spent two years driving to and from events, but this year is the first year trailering.

Don't agree!!. I spent two years driving to and from events up and down the country as well as competing. A 500 mile or so round trip on simex (normally covered in mud on the way home) hoping that something wouldn't go bang either on event or on the way back got a bit much. There were times I'd have to work on the car as soon as I got back from an event just to make sure it got me to work the next day. In fact, having an enforced flat bed taxi ride home from an event (with the missus who was there just to watch, but now covered in mud because the inside of the truck was) forced a complete rethink.

I'm looking forward to having the security of a trailer, the dry, clean and warmpth of a tow vehicle and the knowledge that 2am repair sessions on the comper are no longer required.

Guest WALFY

WOW.

That was a small hornets nest that I just poked a stick in :o :o

All well and good if can stick it on a trailler and have the comfort of knowing it'll be fixed in a week. I don't have a trailler or another tow vehicle either. But I used to drive from Kent to Somerset on Simex to do Jamess' events so I know what it is to do 200+ miles on the road with them. But when I compete I have to think about how to do all the punches carefully. OK I do go a bit mad at times. But you can see those that don't drive their trucks home. Their style is somewhat different to the rest.

At the end of the day it was my opinion and I stick by it so don't flame me for it

Before I get staked out at James event I'll go and skulk in the corner.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about an up coming change in towing laws (saw it in a tachograph thread on *RRP when i was lurking t'other day) relating to making all trailers less than tow vehicle wt :o ...the thread hinted that its proposed for next year......certainly if this is the case things will change for lots of us.

BTW hi Mark when are we gonna see you in the essex mud at Bures again?

Back to topic I tow lots to pay n play and when i used to trial but then i've always had a trailer and space to keep it safe but its each to thier own I reckon :)

cheers

Steveb

The tacko law only applys if you are towing trailers for reward, ie as part of your business. It does not apply to private use.

Jon

From 11th April it applies even for private use if the train weight is over 7.5T

There was also some talk of restricting max towed weight to kerb weight of tow vehicle, but I think that may be someone getting confused with post 1997 (?) cat B license so should still be ok for those old enough to have B+E.

From 11th April it applies even for private use if the train weight is over 7.5T

There was also some talk of restricting max towed weight to kerb weight of tow vehicle, but I think that may be someone getting confused with post 1997 (?) cat B license so should still be ok for those old enough to have B+E.

So with B + E you are not effected ...cheers Mark90 eased my mind on that one .......life withoot regular new legislation ....unthinkable :lol::lol:

Steveb

For two years I did the AWDC Safari series and drove to, entered and drove home from every event. This entailed a wheel change before and after the events and a complete washdown on site. I didn't have space for a trailer and didn't have a tow motor, my racer was also my daily driver.

After we moved home and we had space for the luxuries I bought a trailer and everyone said 'that will be the end of your racing career'.

They were right, I didn't finish a single event after that! With the knowledge that you don't have to drive your comp motor home your priorities change very quickly.

I don't agree that trailering is cheating and as Saley said, every motor at Round 1 of the Scorpion Challenge Trophy was trailered as far as I know.

B)-->

QUOTE(steve b @ Mar 30 2007, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So with B + E you are not effected ...cheers Mark90 eased my mind on that one .......life withoot regular new legislation ....unthinkable :lol::lol:

Steveb

I haven't seen any new regs regarding kerb weight vrs towed weight that would effect B+E.

But the new tacho regs will effect anyone who tows with a train weight of over 7.5T

wuss.... :ph34r:

Where's Nick Watts when you need him- The first time i met him i thought he was quite a large chap, until i realised he had 84 layers on in order to try and stave off the cold of a Seven Sisters November. I haven't seen him drive to an event since! Hyporthermia is a hell of a sacrifice just so you aren't a trailer queen.

Leaving a site with a dirty number plate, obsured windows and a broken light or two could nett you enough points to win a bicycle for a year.

Not all sites have decent washdown facilities, and there is only so much you can do with a 5L garden sprayer.

Just another take on it.

drive to-from events, no matter where they are.

also driven home with windows open in winter as doors bashed so much I couldn't close them

tad cold from Slindon :)

I think driving to-from makes you consider your actions a little more.

I'll always trailer mine to event's. I can carry more tool's/spare's, you can get a lot in a transit, have somewhere to kip and to sit out of the rain if needed, plus at the end of the comp wet, tired and covered in mud, a quick wash and you can drive home in comfort. Next year thinking about getting a lorry!! :lol:

Hi Mark,

I think every car at round 1 of the scorpion came on a trailer or truck and so did mine 475mile round trip drive it i don't think so

walfy i don,t cheat :angry: were in the rules does it say you have to drive your motor to and from events

we drove to round 1,must have been the only ones though!

but as from the next event we will be towing it on an a frame(alot cheaper on fuel and if you break it you can still get it home),as i have no space for a trailer :angry:

ian