We have a BIG problem with the website server

Les Henson

MJG you stand alone with your comments

maybe you should think before posting yourself.

have a read of every other post in this topic and try and spot the odd one out.

and for the record I'm in possession of the full facts being the treasurer.

If you have a problem PM me this topic is for the good of the board only.

MJG you stand alone with your comments

maybe you should think before posting yourself.

have a read of every other post in this topic and try and spot the odd one out.

and for the record I'm in possession of the full facts being the treasurer.

If you have a problem PM me this topic is for the good of the board only.

PM duly sent.

So who was "posts like this are some what saddening to read from my point of view.

same with all forums some people put in far less than they take out."

Aimed at????

Can't speak for Tony, you'll have to ask him, but his post was in response to your post about 2500+ registered members. I read Tony's response as - rather than being pleased about so many registered members he's saddened as it shows that so many register yet so few contribute content/participate. Like most forums, the post contribution comes from a few hundred members not a few thousand.

In the same way when it comes to forum funding you can't assume that the amount can be divided up by the totalled register count as it's typicall less than 5% will donate. So with forum costs of about 1200 pounds per year and 125 or so members prepared/able to donate that's about 10 per person.

I suspect it was nothing to do with level/amount of donations and no inference to you, but you'll have to ask Tony to be sure.

Cheers

Steve

Guest WALFY

Steve

I have used this forum mainly for buying stuff and learning. Although I can wield a set of spanners I wouldn't be comfortable giving tech info to others incase it was wrong and it cost people in repairs from my rubbish advice. Also I quite like the social side of the forum. I'd of prob given up LR if I hadn't found you lot. :o .

Therefore I haven't contributed much to the forum but I value it.

Keith,

It was £2 you said you wanted wasn't it :lol: ?

Nige

PS

Just read the entire thread on return from "Not Nice" day at work

(read........... "Worse than normal and they are horrible :(" )

I think its brillinat that :

a. so many have leapt to the piggy and rattled for contributions

b. value the forum so highly

c. and that it will without doubt continue to grow and develop with such support

And yes I have :P

Good on all of you

Nige

Chris... Sign me up for another event.... (So long as we are around of course.... Hols somewhere in August..)

I'll bring me a few panhard rods for the event.. Bound to wear out at least one bush!

Also raided the kids piggy banks and told them it was going to a worthy cause..... ;)

Neil

(What.. What..... Can't go spending the beer money can I !!!) :hysterical:

Mark - the amount of cr*p you have sold you should donate the wagon....... well your not competing in it much so dont really need it!.........

(then again its ages since mine was used for comp work)

Can't speak for Tony, you'll have to ask him, but his post was in response to your post about 2500+ registered members. I read Tony's response as - rather than being pleased about so many registered members he's saddened as it shows that so many register yet so few contribute content/participate. Like most forums, the post contribution comes from a few hundred members not a few thousand.

In the same way when it comes to forum funding you can't assume that the amount can be divided up by the totalled register count as it's typicall less than 5% will donate. So with forum costs of about 1200 pounds per year and 125 or so members prepared/able to donate that's about 10 per person.

Very true - the total number of registered members is relatively meaningless - I should think there would be a maximum of around 200 regular posters who "might" contribute (though if there are more, break out the piggy banks :lol: )

I venture to suggest that £20 per year wouldn't kill most people (39p a week!) and would meet the requirements nicely. If most of us worked out how much that is per hour of time spent on the forum over a typical week, I reckon it would look like value for money :)

how much is a sub to a glossy mag nowadays? £35/year at least?

if you printed off every thread of "magasine" quality each month, you would fill about 12" of magasine, and you wouldn't get to meet all the people on here. Neither would you be able to get up close and personal to suppliers (at least the good ones who can managed to contribute on a forum- there's a few suppliers that wouldn't survive on here i don't think!)

as the bogmonster says, £20/yr is a bargain for those of us that use the forum, and there can only be a verysmall % of peopl who can't actually afford that- it's not having 7 pints a year, drivnig with an ever so slightly lighter foot (or in TJ101's case getting a fuel cap whihc actually keeps fuel in), or cancelling a magasine susbcription. i went for the latter.

i do believe that there should be something to say that you have contributed though- not how much- just that you have.

Guest WALFY
Mark - the amount of cr*p you have sold you should donate the wagon....... well your not competing in it much so dont really need it!.........

(then again its ages since mine was used for comp work)

James

Cr*p I've sold. I've still got those bloody ARB locker switches ;) . Sold most of the other stuff. Just got to get rid of the NATO hitch. RogueTrooper expressed an interest but then fell silent, we hope that he still wants it. Jo is fed up with it as a door stop. :D .

As for competing, I like to think that I just make up the numbers to keep you in food and clothes ;) ;) . It must be hard now that you have "retired". What a cr*p statement. You've just changed jobs. How can you retire after only completing your probation period :D :D :D

I saw this when Les first posted last night, but have delayed my reply……………. ;)

Those that know me well, will also now that I am a cynical bar steward …………..having now read the email several times it looks to me like a very good sales pitch. I would really be interested to know how many other Invision users with moderate sized boards have had the same or a similar notification.

I think I might be tempted to call their bluff ………………. if my hunch and reading of the situation is accurate then nothing much will change form the way it is now ………… if the board is tempted to follow the recommendations of the email, without hard documented facts & and irrefutable usage information, then Invision may well have you over a barrel as an easy target. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am a donating member…………….and will of course stand and be counted in the future………….

my 2p............let the flaming being……………….

:)

Ian

Just sent my donation - I think.

Not used Pay pal that often, so much so that I had forgotton my password. After fighting through the forgotten security questions etc, I think I have got there, so if the treasurer would be so kind as to confirm by PM that I have pressed the right buttons it would be appreciated!

I saw this when Les first posted last night, but have delayed my reply……………. ;)

Those that know me well, will also now that I am a cynical bar steward …………..having now read the email several times it looks to me like a very good sales pitch. I would really be interested to know how many other Invision users with moderate sized boards have had the same or a similar notification.

I think I might be tempted to call their bluff ………………. if my hunch and reading of the situation is accurate then nothing much will change form the way it is now ………… if the board is tempted to follow the recommendations of the email, without hard documented facts & and irrefutable usage information, then Invision may well have you over a barrel as an easy target. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am a donating member…………….and will of course stand and be counted in the future………….

my 2p............let the flaming being……………….

:)

Ian

Ian not flaming required

I'm as cynical as it is possible to be.

I've contacted Invision and the admins/mods have had discussions

Invisions response will be added below in a minute.

they are happy for us to leave as they are for us to stay

they have been nothing but useful in all dealings we have had with them,

the Admins Trev/Geoff both foresaw this day coming with the board growing as it has the day has dawned a little earlier.

we can go elsewhere but the costs are pretty similar and to keep the board online we are leaning towards an Invison package for 1yr

whilst we decide on the forums needs/wants and budgets available.

Tony

From Invision

Hello,

The problem is not bandwidth or disk quota, it's resource usage due to the number of active concurrent users on your forums.

Your forum has too much traffic to suit shared hosting. We generally limit the number of concurrent users to around 80, your site frequently reaches 100+, which is what's causing the problem.

Generally we would reccomend at least Dedicated 2 for a site of your size, which is the Pentium 4 server,

Thanks,

sent donation off,

i know on oneof the other forum if you donate you get a little star, may beswade a few more to do so, think it has been mentioned before but i think its a good idea, im always up for a nice polo shirt as well!!

with all the people here, could a lr4x4 challenge be organised as well for abit of fund raising, end of the year or next year some time?

James

Just sent my sheckles - I can't afford to lose this forum!!

The collective wisdom and support of the members has got me out of a tight DIY spot on more than one occasion. ;)

Long live LR4x4!!!

Come on everyone - it's gotta be worth the cost of a pint (or 2, or 3, or.....) to keep this place ticking

Disco_Dunk

As many have said before a fantastic resource would be lost if this forum were to disappear.

Would also be happy to purchase a t-shirt or some such other forum related merchandise to help the funds.

Could well be up for the Treasure Hunt as well.

Have sent a donation via paypal.

Pete.

I've just sent a tenner by Paypal and will send another in six months. £20 a year from a semi-active member should be a step in the right direction. :rolleyes: Some forum merchandise will be also bought, I'd be in for a polo shirt or tee shirt, (XL) and one for my 8 year old son, if the forum would like to flog them.

The forum is really useful - the ability to sound out suitable solutions to a Land Rover problem is really, really helpful, hence my TD to 200Tdi conversion.

I'm an Independent Financial Adviser most of the time - :ph34r: - I'd be willing to pass on 10% commission to the forum if any forum member seeks advice from me. Contact me by PM in the first instance- any initial consultation will be free and without obligation, I charge fees or take commission at your choice. (Worry not, you won't be pressure sold, I'm salaried! :lol:).