Sad day!

simonr

Si, Sorry to hear about your truck, as for the comments about shaking extinguishers etc take them with a pinch of salt, I had a roll over a few years back that resulted in a fire. the amount of advice people came up with while sat in a comfey chair behind a computer about what I should have done was unbeliveable! If you and your passengers are out and safe then thats the main priority.

Matt

Sorry to hear about this ... a lucky escape.

[...] so in my mind there is no doubt that from the ashes will rise a 4x4 full of innovation..... Si style..

Looking forward to its arrival.

... a new dawn, a new day ...

Cheers

Blippie

Well,

Si thanks for giving me at least a damned good wake up call :o

My 1982 BCF Halon may or may not work should the need ever arise, ....

your very sad loss of your 90 has brought home just how F stupid I am right now having just this....

So..... it is now to be joined by 2 in date FIA / MSA extingushers a 2.4KG AFFF and a Zero 360 Gas :unsure:

Here's hoping I never have to use them, but from your sad tale I and others should take heed - and get suitable kit NOW

So, from me 'Thankyou' - I still feel for you mate :(,

.....but some good may come out of this sad day for others - me included

Nige

Well,

Si thanks for giving me at least a damned good wake up call :o

My 1982 BCF Halon may or may not work should the need ever arise, ....

your very sad loss of your 90 has brought home just how F stupid I am right now having just this....

So..... it is now to be joined by 2 in date FIA / MSA extingushers a 2.4KG AFFF and a Zero 360 Gas :unsure:

Here's hoping I never have to use them, but from your sad tale I and others should take heed - and get suitable kit NOW

I would tend to disagree. You know the saying, give a man a fish, and you feed him for one day. Give hime a fish rod and you feed him for life.

Change to give a man a fire extinguisher, and you turn him into a would be hero fire fighter who may seriously injure or kill himself trying to put a fire out, don't give hime an extinguisher he runs away.

This forum has been running for years and people have made countless journeys and now we have one fire there is a knee-jerk reaction to tonking ourselves up with fire fighting equipment. Let's face it, statistically it is not likely your truck is going to go up in flames. If it does, will you be able to keep a cool head to deal with the fire? Will it be possible to predict if the fire extinuisger will work or be enough to put the fire out? Unless you are a fireman used to these type of sitatuations the chances are probably not.

I am not expert on fire extinguisers but reckon you have got to be prett close to put out a fire and if it is fuel related, you probalby have no way pof knowing what will happen next. I bet the fire brigade don;t go anywere near bruning vehicles bout would use their hoses from a safe difference.

Without having any fire fighting equipment, you have no option but to get the hell out - the safest option.

Not mean to have a go at anyone but let's not be carried away by this - a truck can be replaced, people can't.

Statistically speaking, bullocks. According to the stats we have say one fire a year - Si's had that so the rest of us can pour fuel onto hot engines with impunity*. I think sensible precautions are a good idea, but prevention is better than cure.

*This is why I always carry a bomb on an aeroplane. What're the chances of two men on the same plane with explosives?

Statistically speaking, bullocks. According to the stats we have say one fire a year - Si's had that so the rest of us can pour fuel onto hot engines with impunity*. I think sensible precautions are a good idea, but prevention is better than cure.

Bullock? Don;t see how you can say that since I have not given any information on how I gather my statistics. For you information the smaple was specailly chosen to give me the result I wanted.

You stat stics are based on what? The fact that your truck catches fire once a year?

I am not aware of any manufacturere deliberately desingin that featue in to their vehicles so either your vehicles is poorly maintinaed or you are using it in a way it was not designed for.

Aside from that, I agree with you about safety precaution just wanted to put it in perspective about not getting carried away and gung-ho about fire fighting.

I would tend to disagree. You know the saying, give a man a fish, and you feed him for one day. Give hime a fish rod and you feed him for life.

Change to give a man a fire extinguisher, and you turn him into a would be hero fire fighter who may seriously injure or kill himself trying to put a fire out, don't give hime an extinguisher he runs away.

This forum has been running for years and people have made countless journeys and now we have one fire there is a knee-jerk reaction to tonking ourselves up with fire fighting equipment. Let's face it, statistically it is not likely your truck is going to go up in flames. If it does, will you be able to keep a cool head to deal with the fire? Will it be possible to predict if the fire extinuisger will work or be enough to put the fire out? Unless you are a fireman used to these type of sitatuations the chances are probably not.

I am not expert on fire extinguisers but reckon you have got to be prett close to put out a fire and if it is fuel related, you probalby have no way pof knowing what will happen next. I bet the fire brigade don;t go anywere near bruning vehicles bout would use their hoses from a safe difference.

Without having any fire fighting equipment, you have no option but to get the hell out - the safest option.

Not mean to have a go at anyone but let's not be carried away by this - a truck can be replaced, people can't.

We are talking good firefighting kit here………. Personal safety is a different subject……. ………………. Have you ever used a BCF Halon in anger ……………before they banned it have you ever seen an auto under bonnet Halon do the business ………………. judging by your post, I would guess not <_< ……………I would guess that you are maybe the sort of guy that says, “hey my engine is on fire, I’ll open the bonnet to see” ……………. Then you will need a lot of facial plastic surgery as the seat of the fire finds a new oxygen source……………… :rolleyes:

Small fires can be dealt with easily …………. Larger fires are more of an issue ……….. thinking time is almost non existent and you have to work in ‘auto’ mode. The seat of the fire is the important place to hit………… if the fire is in the battery box and has taken hold then nothing you carry on board will put that out until the battery cables are cut ……….. ;)

However, we have digressed away from the original issue and you are missing the thread posters point……………. Si spent a huge amount of time and money on that vehicle and it has been the test mule for some very exciting and innovative products ……………. hence ………… for Simon it was a sad day…………..and something that Simon will no doubt take some time to recover from as a personal loss. If Si could have done anything to save the truck, then I am sure that he would have considered that option .................

:)

Ian

Ian

Have you ever used a BCF Halon in anger ……………before they banned it have you ever seen an auto under bonnet Halon do the business ………………. judging by your post, I would guess not

No need to guess, I have not.

<_< ……………I would guess that you are maybe the sort of guy that says, “hey my engine is on fire, I’ll open the bonnet to see” ……………. Then you will need a lot of facial plastic surgery as the seat of the fire finds a new oxygen source……………… :rolleyes:

Ignoring the thinly veiled insult, we all know you should not do that but who can honestly say how they will react in a panic situation. It's one thing to sit at a keyboard saying what you will do nor not, another matter when you are standing with extinguisher in hand watching your pride and joy going up in flames.

In any case you see see from my previous post that I am all for advocating leaving fire fighting to the experts:

Change to give a man a fire extinguisher, and you turn him into a would be hero fire fighter who may seriously injure or kill himself trying to put a fire out, don't give him an extinguisher he runs away.

anyway that is neitehr here nor there;

I have to say that like Simon, I and many others on this forum have spent many hours and many pounds building a vehicle which is, in spirit at least, part of their personality.

Bearing that in mind i'm sure i'm not alone in the feeling that I would risk getting hurt to save what is, to me, something very important. Therefore I will be arming myself with a range of equipment to fight the fire should it come. You are welcome to run, I won't be.

Thanks O2

I will pass on your advice here.

I Have "Armed" myself with what is the best kit I can afford should the need arise (which I hope it won't) to see if should it I can shove the extingushers into it to put out, small fires caught early you stand a chance as and if you have the kit, no kit = no chance.

I think if Si Rs extingusher had worked it could have been a different issue.

But it didn't as as such the sad loss he has had is a fact, I feel so sorry for Si, his truck was a work in progress test bed and "part of him", I know how I would feel as RV says if it was me in his position :(

My post was really to say to Si that however sad he feels maybe some good has come out of this,

I for one - and I now know of many others on the forum have done this now - have got the RIGHT kit for this situation by buying up to date proper kit - again should it ever arise, .....please lord it doesn't, but give me a big fire and I will be far far away.....my choice.

I have experienced Fires in my old racers, into pits smoking and coughing - alternator on fire, one mate poked a BCF Halon in the cab, one in the bonnet vents, both said, hold your breath 3 2 1 BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF and fire out, unfortunately both I and naviagtor breathed in too soon and with zero oxygen in the air looked like goldfish out of water for a few seconds :lol:

Anyway, I think I will prob pass on your words of wisdom,

Either that or I will need to go and fit copper tube into my crossmember - if I remember you belived this was good as load bearing spacer for the strengthening of a crossmemebr when fitting a towball or recovery point :hysterical:

Nige

anyone know why people say they'll never post here again only to reappear, often to try and cause friction?

I as others have a lot of me invested in my 90 and if it caught fire I'd do my best with what I have to save it.

2 .5 litre AFFF x2 BCF IN THE 90 and a 9lt AFFF on order.

cabling rechecked and excess oil/grease washed off with brake cleaner.

Belguim national 2 yrs ago saw a Disco catch light

only exmoorcops extinguisher saved the vehicle.

I think you're all being a bit mean to Mr O2.

I can see the point of view that if you are all tooled up with fire fighting gear, it might encourage you to have a go when it is best left alone - but it's a terrible feeling to have had the oportunity to put it out but for the extinguisher not to work - then have to walk away & let it burn. It's hard to know where to draw the line - but there must be a happy medium somewhere.

Long ago when I was working in Cambridge, I came across an RTA on the M11 where the car was just catching fire and the driver was trapped. I was not first on scene, but unlike the other chap I did have a dry powder extinguisher and it did put that fire out. I'm certain the driver would have burned if it had not been possible to put it out. Fire rescue were on scene a few mins later - and they agreed.

I've always carried an extinguisher so that hasn't changed. The one thing I've learned is not to rely on powder. Have something more reliable. At least you'll have the option!

Si

Looking at what happened I wonder if it would be a good habit to get into, to take the extinguisher out turn it upside down and give it a thump every so often, maybe every time you check the engine oil or something, i.e. associate it with something else to make it easy to remember. I don't have an extinguisher in any of my vehicles at the moment but I think that is about to change...

Assisted in roadside fire as well, and only recently. Had only 'powder' to hand, but it saved the lives of the two children in the back seat which the father was trying to get out of the car. The vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee, on LPG, no safety valves) had caught fire and the guy had not noticed the fire. He thought the vehicle had 'just ceased working'...

The fire extinguisher saved his life, and the lives of his family. It did not put out the fire, but it gave me enough time to help the father free the second kid, warn them of the fire have them run to safety. The vehicle exploded about 2 minutes later, with us at a safe distance.

When I stopped to lend a hand, I parked my brand new 110 in front of their vehicle, at a good 50 yards distance. When I returned to check out my 110, the men of the fire brigade told me that the back was charred, paint had bubbled off, windows had been smashed and that the spare tire had burnt. Nothing was repaid by the insurance, as 'my vehicle was not part of the initial incident.' According to them I should not have stopped, or at least not that close. Wreckage from the explosion had flown at least 150 yards.

In the end the damage to my 110 was paid for by people from the public who contacted the newspaper in Belgium where the incident happened.

In Belgium it is a law to have an extinguisher in the front of the vehicle at all times. I guess that one can say that this does actually save lives

I think it was on the Wales 2004 laning trip where somebody commented that if you are going travelling, the only item you need to take is Tony. All tools and equipment that anybody could require, neatly packaged in a self-propelled white box :);)

Guest dew110CSW
My extinguishers (all seven of them) turned up today from the people linked to by NickSmelly in the other thread. Very impressed - good quality, fast delivery and very cheap.

Si

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted?