serious off-roader also their everyday car

disco-v8

ok the title might confuse afew people so heres what i mean....

ok i have done quite alot to my disco in terms of off-roading mods, and is no where near in standard form, but i also have a second car which i use everyday to get to work and back and do the usual in. plus if (when) the disco breaks i have got another car to jump into..... i only ever use my disco to go offroading in and maybe to shift something big in.....

the biggest problem i have got is that they are both road legal so that means i pay twice on tax, insurance, fuel, parts, etc..... i worked it all out and i most proberly spend £2000 a year to run my car that includes fuel tax parts etc and i was considering about getting rid of it and just use my disco as an everyday car!!!!!

ok at the mo its a V8 which does on average 12MPG (loads of weight been added) so wudnt be a good thing to do, and thats why i originally got my second car.... but im going to convert it to a 300tdi... ok ok it most proberly will use more fuel than my car does now (about 33MPG) but if i'm going to save £2000 a year from not running it which ill make that back up!!!!!

but whats worrying me is, what about if i break it, which i used to do alot, but im having a good spell at the mo :rolleyes: !!!!!!!

so back to the original question, how many of you lot have a serious off roader which you also use as an every day car???? plus what sort of problems do you have to get around when it breaks and you don't have any transport?????

i think you lot might no what I'm trying to say now :blink:

IMHO you can't run any old Rover as your sole daily transport. I tried years ago and spend more time cycling and bussing and cadging lifts...

The biggest problem of course, is that when it breaks you are on a tight time schedule to get it fixed, by definition you are on a tight budget (or you wouldn't be asking) and you have no way to fetch the spares you need. But I think that you know this already don't you?

My solution is to run a shed daily driver Pug diesel on TPO insurance (50mpg too!) for shops, fetching spares etc, and longer journeys. And I use a bike for the commute to work (saves £35 pw parking so pays for it's self). The RRC (which is currently immobile anyway) will only ever be a limited mileage plaything for me.

I know it's expensive to run two cars, but I don't really see any viable option if you a) have an old Disco and b ) use it off-road...

TwoSheds

(one the RRC and one the Pug... Although after 4 years as a daily commuter, the Honda is pretty shed-like too B) )

I use mine every day for all duties

shopping/work/building jobs.

best thing to do is make the transmission as strong as you can.

then you won't be busting CV's shafts/diffs all the time.

the expense of another car and the driving of something I dislike doesn't add up for me.

the 90 does all that I want it to from events/greenlaning/european trips/going to Sainsburys/carting a trailer around.

Would agree with 2sheds on this, not sensibly possible unless you only do more gentle challenges, but you said Serious off roading,

I use my 90 for everything I can but it is not my only car, I drive to events even the Three Peaks in Ireland which is a 2000k round trip, but it does break if you are playing hard and for example last week end I only just got home, now I have a reasonable amount of work and although the 90 is drivable, it should be taken off the road for repairs in all honesty.

Far cheaper to get your self a cheap hatch back etc and use that instead of being forced to either spend too much money on repairing things quickly or bodging.

Or expect and do a little less off road.

Just my opinion.

Lara

IMHO it's really not practical using a dedicated off-roader to commute - you'll suffer and it will suffer due to having to bodge bits up quickly to get you to work.

If you run something small and cheap, like a small pug, fiesta etc. then I reckon you'll save money over trying to make your off-roader do two things. You'll also save a whole load of your own time and stress.

Making your drivetrain (relatively) bulletproof as Tony suggests can swallow the aforementioned £2k without too much hassle.

Doing a TDi swap just to squeeze a few more MPG during commuting will cost you a packet, and a hatchback will still beat it hands down on fuel TDi or not.

Insuring your off-roader on a limited mileage policy as a 2nd vehicle can save a bit, likewise insuring a shed daily driver TPO and only for commuting miles can drop the price.

No matter how strong you make things, stuff can break, get damaged, or wear out - and I know after a day playing I can't be bothered to get in the garden in the evening and do a wheel bearing / replace brakes / change UJ's etc. just so I can get to work.

If you want something that's a giggle to drive, look in Practical Performance Car this month, they have a bunch of track-day cars that cost <£1k to buy.

For me, knowing that whatever happens I can jump into my other vehicle and drive anywhere (including towing my LR if needed) is worth the extra.

My Off road vehicle is my series 2a Land Rover, my on Road Vehicle is a 300tdi Disco, I wouldn't be able to solely rely on either, my off road vehicle is my backup vehicle for the disco and my Disco is standard. I definatley wouldn't rely on a modded disco - especially after flooding the engine with water :lol:

As said above get something cheap as a backup, infact get a series as a backup, tax exempt, very low insurance and it's got character. Then you've got to be pretty unlucky to get both off the road at once!

Like TwoSheds I run an old Peugeot (106 diesel) as my everyday car. It's a banger, bought off eBay for £180, and does 55mpg. Even though I have to have it insured fully comp it saves me so much in fuel that it's actually considerably cheaper to have the second car than not. I used to run just a Range Rover and it was a nightmare - always struggling to keep it running. It's amazing how much easier (and less intrusive into the rest of your life) Land Rover maintenance is when you don't have to have it fixed to get to work the next day...

I'm debating whether to get rid of the Peugeot when I've finished tidying up the Discovery - if I can run the Discovery on biodiesel then it's only marginally cheaper to have the Pug (which doesn't seem to like bio much). It's not like I'm doing much laning at the moment anyway :(, so I've limited opportunities for breaking the truck. I'm not convinced it's a good idea, though :unsure:

I need to find a new lodger soon, though, and if they have a car I won't really have space for both of them.

I run my disco offroader, hard offroad and as my everyday drive which completes a 50 mile round trip everyday :o but as we speak the ****ing thing let me down today as the starter motor is shagged :angry2: so had to nick the wifes pug :hysterical:

I need to find a new lodger soon, though, and if they have a car I won't really have space for both of them.

Make them walk I say! Or buy a bike...

Mind you, mine has a motorbike and somehow a second one has been living on my patio for rather too long, they seem to accumulate like Land Rovers <_<

I've had a Ninety for seven years and SWMBO has had a Punto for two months - so far the LR has been more reliable (see my Punto timing belt thread!) and I enjoy driving it more, although the 55 inbred Italian horses under the little bonnet certainly drink less on a long run.

I've put 100k miles on the Ninety since 2000 and competed gently (and usually unsuccessfully). I always liked the idea that part of the task was to keep it on the road - it certainly makes you less flamboyant offroad(!) if you've got to drive it home (and to work the next day) and probably makes you more likely to finish an event - last, in my case, but at least I'd finished. Thinking about it, apart from tearing off a brake line once it's very rare that I've retired from an event for mechanical reasons. I guess it depends if you're there to enjoy yourself or to win. Some say there's no point entering if you're not aiming to win but I just want to enjoy myself.

In the aforementioned (and deeply respected) PPC their recommendation for a reliable rally car was to use it as a daily driver so it doesn't let you down in a stage. I've seen V8 CCV trailer queens at club meets all through the 1990s carring overheating problems from event to event. They just never get fixed because it doesn't see midweek use. I think Bish has just converted his V8 Rangie to GOF (God's Own Fuel) and sold his Eurobox.

Now I'm commuting 10 miles a day so it doesn't really matter which car we're in. The auto Ninety's nicer in Bristol traffic so today we're in that (and the exhaust's rattling... I must sort that out before the weekend.)

I'm in much the same boat as TC on this - I've had my 110 CSW about 7 years. It's used as a daily driver (about 30 miles to work and back every day) as well as voluntary work, marshalling, events and everything else - towing, moving stuff etc.

Those that know me know that the 110 isn't the lightest of trucks - I do carry a few odds and ends - and it's caged with a roofrack, winch etc etc. I get about 25mpg on average - about 27 on a run, maybe more.

I don't compete in it, but when I do marshal it tends to be taken most places that the comp vehicles go, so it's not mollycoddled. Yes, the pressure is on if you break something - but I do drive it sympathetically and it's never ranted, plus I've generally got enough spares to drive it out. That being said, and tempting fate, I've not broken anything major anyway.

Matt

Yes, the pressure to repair it in F1 beating record time is on if you break something - but I do drive it sympathetically and it's never ranted, plus I've generally got enough spares to build another vehicle from scratch

Actually, it is just like F1. In the past I've driven into shallow gravel on an access track and become inextricably stuck, I've entered competitions where the man with the best car wins (and where a good driver can pilot a lame nag to victory in the right circumstances) and when I'm designing new bits for my car I've borrowed technology and designs freely from other constructors... :D

I used to only have a single vehicle that I off-roaded fairly unsympathetically as well as needed the next morning to drive to work. More than once, I spent the whole of Sunday night fixing the damn thing, just to have a wash, change and go to work.

I think I just got too old for that and so buying a second vehicle was a godsend! I would never willingly go back to a single vehicle. I suppose the next best thing would be having a non road-going vehicle and a trailer. That limits entry to some events / activities but might be worth the cost saving.

Si

I used my 90 as main transport for about 5 years.

As contributors above have said, I did love the satisfaction of driving it from here down to the South West to do a winch challenge, competing with people who trailered thier trucks. It really does give you restraint on sections, and it's the perfect excuse for not doing punches that are too risky - 'Oh, I would normally, but I've got to drive this to work in the morning'......... ;)

We recently moved back and I now drive 22 miles each way to work. I did a calculation and discovered that spending about £500 on a hatchback that returned 45ish miles to the gallon would pay for itself in between 18 months and two years - servicing and MOTs and fuel included. The drive to work is now much more pleasant and relaxing as well.

The main benifit I've found is when I'm fixing or making something for the 90. Whereas before I'd be doing the job thinking 'I've got four hours to finish this' I can now take much more time and care as the 90 doesn't have to be back together again for my commute. Jobs take longer, but you'll do them better and enjoy them more....

Get a runabout - you'll appreciate the LR when you drive it.

Well the tide is against the few of us :(

I'll stick to light offroad use and take care so as not to break it near the end of any events ;)

I have the greatest respect for you and the others who find you can compete and drive home - but you'll appreciate my past record on breaking stuff rivals Bathtub Pete (well, almost! ;) ). The irony of it is, you always do much better than me in competitions - though that may just be through not having to retire at 11am with a bust <insert favorite mechanical component>!

Si