This forum is here to stay

LR90

Just out of interest what username did you choose ??

Ah Motorhead,, the main man!! copy below of you mail re password,, over the years, have reg a number of time, because i can never get in,, if you could check it out, would be good :)

Welcome, TJ101!

Your username is: TJ101, and your password is ????

You may change it after you login by going to the profile page, or by visiting this page after you login:

h??p://www.orrp.com/smf/???????????????

Regards,

The Offroaders Rant Page Team.

Would also agreed with Chris (GBMUD), re the 14 year olds just looking for agro, and arguing the toss just for the sake of it,, as for the swearing, in the written word,, well that'd just ORRP, same as TV etc, if you do not like it, hit the off button

Regards Tim

Tim - any chance before next weekend you could have a big red off button fitted to the outside of whichever of the fleet you turn up in?

ah oh short one,, i could take that comment 2 ways ,, have i upset you, as i have with David !!!

:P

Skin like a rhino, me! (you f*****g t*o f****d s****y o**********g v***o t****g p*******r) :P

You've not been upsetting the "bearded one" again have you? I'm afraid I'm probably tarred with the same brush as you since the last Devon GLASS meet, I said his rangie (with it's new early white grille) looked like an untidy prop from the Sweeney :lol:

Don't sweat it chap, if he gets agressive we can run away by simply driving off a metaled surface :lol::lol::lol:

er, oh, hi Dave (wild looking round to locate my coat)

Trev,

are you sticking with UBBthreads then? I thought you where keen to follow Motorhead's lead and move the forum to SMF.

Oh! you know me - always taking the easy option :lol:

Seriously though - it was the best option at this stage in terms of support, if there were problems with the server move.

(me being a bit of a novice, and all)

I like the SMF software very much and will look at the possibility of a conversion to it, in the medium term.

Oh! you know me - always taking the easy option :lol:

Seriously though - it was the best option at this stage in terms of support, if there were problems with the server move.

(me being a bit of a novice, and all)

I like the SMF software very much and will look at the possibility of a conversion to it, in the medium term.

I can sympathise with that. We stuck with IPB when we did the server move here but did manage to do an upgrade at the same time :blink: Not sure we'll change again in the near future, we survived a DDoS just after the move but everything is still intact and having got all comfortable again I'm not sure a change in BB will give us much more.

The two main problems I have with ORRP are the use of what my granny would call "foul language" and the way that some members (14 year olds I suspect) seem to delight in deliberately being offensive and adversairial(sp?) for the sake of it. I understand that long term members see this as a "right of passage" in some way but I have no time or humour for it. On the language front I tend to let the expletives flow quite freely in everyday speech but, perhaps hypocritically, I think they have no place in the written word.

Fair comment. As a member over there for some time I wouldn't disagree with what you say, however whilst some people like to use the low / non-existant level of moderation in Anything Goes to test out the anglo saxon phrase book some members will just ignore it and not use bad language themselves. We do get the odd 'schoolboy' some of whom bugger off pretty quick and some who stay and mature somewhat.

The reputation from some parties for 'newbies' getting ripped into is largely unfounded, being restricted to the few that have started their first posts with a load of abuse trying to prove something I guess.

There have been a fair few new members recently who have settled in quickly and enjoy the banter and slightly off the wall humour.

Try it, you might like it.

I don't agree with a lot of what Dave Lovejoy says a lot of the time but today I do. This forum is not as good as LRE forum was when it was at it's best. The "split" into two forums has, as I suggested at the time, served only to dilute the sense of community that we (the members NOT LRE) had built up.

My own personal choice would be to see the two forums merge and to pool the common resources (in other words the knowlege and humour of the members) available in one place again. I am not aware of any but I hope that there are no political differences preventing a closer working relationship between the managment of two fora - god knows there is too much of that in the "real" world!

This is my two penneth and you can like it or lump it!

Chris

Same sentiments to my previous post, just more eliquently put :P

Raises a couple of good questions that have seemed obvious since all the hoohar with LRE kicked off;

Why this forum didn't revert back to the other one once it had been saved from the jaws of LRE, and why there appears to be such an obvious disconnect between the two managements, I fear as Chris states, we are back to politics. :unsure:

I think there were a few threads a while back that elicited the fact that there's a minor rift. Isn't that the reason that Trevor [bigfoot] is not now a moderator here?

Seems sad, as, now that the LRE management aren't in the picture, it should all be 'happy families'. It all adds to the funny taste in the mouth.

Still, the technical knowledge base here is growing every day, it's a decent environment, there's room for as many fora as people have got the energy to create, really, providing a sufficient number of people with a bit of nouse adhere to one or more fora, rather than us all turning into cyber-nomads :D :D :D

what matters isn't the fact that there are a few facile comments from time to time; being relatively new to LR ownership [that encourages learning how to do more mechanical tasks than ever before] I could've made a few myself. It's the quality of the answers that matters, the more knowledgeable answers there are [compare LRO I've just checked this morning I must've checked 4 threads of 3-5 posts per thread, every one had at least one utterly irrelevant answer on! — not simple slips such as misreading an incautiously phrased question either] ups the "signal-to-noise" ratio.

Most of the chatty threads are easily recognisable, no-one is forced to read them unless they've got the spare time.

LRE management are still in the picture. Mike Lamontagne is an Administrator, and KG still has influence I believe. If this is not so, then there's been a very recent change. I believe that failry recently KG laid down the law regarding a few spoof names/comments/bad language on LRA. I got all this information a bit second-hand, but I believe it to be in the most part correct.

As for why the two sites are staying seperate - well that's a story in itself. I personally don't think the two will mix, and I could go through the whole thing from start to finish, and a big row would develope all over again.

The only interest there is for me is the archive, but then how often does anyone actually use it?

You could ask any question and it would get answered anyway.

Some of the humorous stuff I miss, but then I could always copy and paste it to here if I wanted to couldn't I ? People who put a lot of effort into a project or similar and then put it into the archive are the ones that would lose if it was to disappear.

At the moment I don't think the archive is worth the problems that would come with it.

A few times I have been mis-quoted about my comments regarding what I would do if I had had the opportunity to own LRE.

(I did try incidentally, and even offered to buy it). What I said was that I would take the archive, put it on this website, and let the old LRE disappear forever. Unfortunately, the thought of [gollum]'my precious LRE'[/gollum] disappearing forever brought messers ML and KG out in a rash.

Some of you remember the old LRE, we had a hell of a laugh most of the time. Chris is right - it was good, but it went bad and there seemed no chance of it getting better again was there?

We remember :-

'LR topics only'

The forum crashing many times.

On two previous occasions, the site being shut down by that grumpy ****er that ownes the mag.

Having a poxy little mention in the magazine is as much an insult as praise and was no doubt put there to quieten ML and KG

LRE could have benefitted from a closer association with the website, but grandad couldn't understand it, and therefore it was bad.

I think we have done well thus far, shame the split with Bigfoot happened, but it has.

Some of you say that this site isn't as good as the old LRE, well I think that's carp. Give me an example of how that is.

The only thing missing from here is the stuff that we didn't want anyway.

Les :D

As a newbie to this forum (I only found it by accident last week) I'd just like to say how much better than the old LRE forum it is. I used to post infrequently on there but got a little fed up with it and moved to Mud Club where it all seemed a lot friendlier, and still is. One positive thing that they did there though was to remove the post count. This has had the effect of considerably reducing the number of totally irrelevant posts from the forum of people simply trying to bump up their score. It also gives newbies a little more confidence to post as no-one knows if they are an "old hand" or not. Well, that's my tuppence worth for now. Keep up the good work!

I very much agree re post counts

and would be happy to see them removed

so people don't post tosh to increase thiers.worked on outerlimits to.

Well you would say that being Member no.5!! <_<<_<

O to be Member no.1

Steve ;):P:P:P:P:P

BTW I agree to, getting rid of post count would be good

I have voted on the other thread, and being the good boy that I am :blink: didn't propose this over there:

Steve G has a point re member number - who cares?

More important are Location and Group (eg moderator etc), after of course the most important strap line! :lol:

I have voted on the other thread, and being the good boy that I am :blink: didn't propose this over there:

Steve G has a point re member number - who cares?

More important are Location and Group (eg moderator etc), after of course the most important strap line! :lol:

Les, I like the poll idea on changes. Maybe just for clarity we should run a second poll re not displaying member number against each post as well.

[shh]

Les, let the poll run a while to give Geoff and I a chance to work out how to make the change ;)

[/shh]