OT Sleeping Bag

Mo Murphy

Another fan of the Snugpack Softie sleeping bags here. Had mine many years and it's given good service. More recently it got semi replaced with a Mountain Equipment Firewalker II that I got a deal on, which is also a bag I'd recommend. The ME Firewalker and Sleepwalker are good value bags IMHO.

Well my sleepng bags are Argos specials. Didn't pay more than £30 for them.

Toasty warm and not mummy style so you can actually move in them!

Only down side is you wouldn't really call them compact! Which is not a problem for me as I always camp from a vehicle.

Moutain Equipment do a great range in bags....their 3 season "Mithril" model is really nice & comfy. I cant remember the number, but if you can find one for their factory outlet, Magic Mountain, you'll get one for a bargain price.

Quite expensive, but anything by North Face or Mountain Hardwear will be fantastic.

I bought an Arctic grade Military bag from Surplus & Adventure for £39 recently, which I used on an expedition across the Alps earlier this year, and it was great, although it might be a bit of overkill maybe, as they are too large to fit in a backpack, and can go down to -30, although they have loads of room.

Martin

Outdoorsy chaps,

I'm in the market for a 3 season sleeping bag, what are your recommendations ?

Mo

I briefly sold them for a living:

If you're carrying it and are going to be able to keep it dry go for down (goose is much better than duck - if it doesn't specify it'll be duck) no question, but it'll cost you. If you're not carrying it or there's a risk of it getting wet in transport / use go for hollowfill (man made fibres). Down bulks much better so compresses smaller - but if it gets wet then it clumps and you lose much of the warmth. Hollowfibre wears better, especilly if you're going to be getting it muddy & washing it.

Bear in mind manufacturers temp ratings are generally survival not comfort - so a minus 10 bag will stop you dying at that but you won't be loving it.

Left and right hand zips: if you're in a mummy bag and you are left handed go for a right hand zip and vice versa as you'll be lying on your back and want to reach across to use it (unless you're double jointed).

Don't be flogged a fleece sleeping bag liner - they're horrid - warm but they grip your clothes and twist round you - a bugger to get into & you'll wake up trapped.

Do buy a SILK sleeping bag liner - especially if you have a down bag - they trap more air and give more warmth - they feel really nice - they mean you need to wash your bag less (a good thing - down bag washing is a PITA) and they're great on there own in summer.

Don't buy a bag too short for you - it won't seal properly round your face and you'll lose loads of heat - if a bag is too long stuff a fleece in the bottom to fill it so you don't have to warm that air up. If you're bivvying or camping where it's really cold consider what you may need to have in your bag with you to stop it freezing - this may be your water / boots / clothes / camera. We camped at -10 in Turkmenistan in December and it was not nice putting boots on the next day, all our water froze and my digital camera battery froze :blink:. If you're going to be putting stuff in the bag with you think about an extra long one (some manuf.s incl Vango make 2 sizes).

When we used to sell them Vango were regarded as cheap and cheerful but capable.

If buying 2nd hand or from Flea Bay be very aware of fakes. If you've been to Nepal / China you'll know how much of the (very genuine looking with branded zips etc) kit out there is faked, and a lot of it finds its way over here at too good to be true prices. While it may look the part it is not the same quality - I slept in TM in my -10 rated Mountain Equipment bag bought in China for $15 :ph34r: at -10 and was very glad I had down jkt / fleece / thermals / quite a lot of vodka otherwise I think I'd have frozen!

Just my views. HTH

Sungpak again.

I bought the Mil spec system they offer, with 2 bags that zip into each other, a smaller 1 season for the summer of when I want to travel light (and accept being cold) and a thicker one which is 3 season by itsself.

If you ever get into the bag with boots on they also have a cordura foot area which reduces the risk of you ripping the thing open.

Another big vote for snugpak. I've got a softie 12, purchased it in 95 and it's still going strong. And that's been to a few cold places since then and no complaints from me. Worth every penny. As has been said before if you aren't carrying it then a new mil sleeping bag is brilliant. But they don't compress down to far.

As a side issue, whatever bag you get it should be stored open. ie not compressed in any way otherwise it loses it shape and ability. A silk liner is great, it effectively increases your bag by 1 season. Another tip that I can reccomend as Jos said put your next days clothes inside your bag with you at night. That way when you wake up you'll have warm clothes to put on, so much nicer than cold damp stuff.

**** WARNING*****

Those that have 1 of the new mil sleeping bags. Do not get it dry cleaned. It's something to do with the chemicals they use. They don't all come out and leave a residue in the bag. When you sleep in it your body heat then "activates" it and it then releases and has been known to kill people. Hence the Army not dry cleaning sleeping bags anymore

I have an army surplus and it hasn't let me down.

Used one in the TA years ago and bought one recently for sleeping in the woods for bonding weekends with my mates, plus an army surplus goretex bivvy bag. paid £30 for the bag and £20 for the bivvy bag.

I use it outdoors without a tent and has never let me down or been cold in it, treat yourself to an airmattress if you don't want to wake up stiff!!

I use a Macpac with a silk liner from NZ. Rated to extreme below zero temps. Goose down is great but you really have to strip off before getting in or you'll sweat like a pig and thats when the cold sets in.

I think Trek & Feild sell them in the UK. Blacks have a good selection of other brands too... so do Millets.

I can never understand the purpose of cheap bags. A decent nights warm kip is worth paying abit extra for. I've slept out in the pouring rain a few times but inside was dry as a bone. Used with a Thermarest roll a cheaper bag will perform better against keeping you warm to.

Decent bags have breathable outter fabrics and are also proofed against moisure etc. I recently washed mine and then re-proofed it with Nikwax products to get it back to as-new again. It took about 8 hours in the tumble dryer to get it dry again though.

Looked after properly... a decent bag will last for many years. I bought mine in 1995 and it's still as good today as it was the first night out.

Hi Mo

Field and Trek are ok depending on the staff member, i'd avoid millets and Blacks as they tend to be a bit like PC world/Halfrauds etc, theres a shop called 'Outside' in Hathersage that you could ring, they have a website here, they know what theyre on about!

HTH

Mike

BTW I used to sell them too and second all of the above!

Moseph old spoon, what do you actually need if for?

Vango do a nice range of 3 season at good VFM

The Mil spec jobbie that young Jase has posted a picture of is very very good with loads of room in side. My own choice

Coleman do some nice VFM stuff as do Snugpac.

Anjulac (sp?) are the dogs radishes

A bigger tent! Hell, have you seen the one he has got? :o

I have one of those sleeping bags for the larger gentleman (second one down in the link, the 350XL) and very comfy it is too. Camped on Newbury Showground over Old Sodbury and there was ice on the inside of tent on the morning - plenty warm thanks to having a decent air mattress to keep the heat in me not the ground! It is big enough to get inside, pull the top tight to keep the heat in and still have room to move my arms inside.

Chris