Variable intermittent wipers

• 3 weeks later...

Pikey - i think i have a spare stalk here you can have.

i have followed the links for the rear intermittent link and these refer to the the twist dial/button on the dash.

Has anyone wired in intermittent for the rear on a later td5/puma vehicle?

i have followed the links for the rear intermittent link and these refer to the the twist dial/button on the dash.

PM simonb on here, he can supply a kit to make your rear wiper intermittent, I've got one of his originalt kits, been fitted for over 10 years.

For earlier vehicles without intermittent wipe, you can get a similar result with a unit from Smartscreen.co.uk - I have one in m y 109 which gives variable intermittent wipe and also automatic 3-sweep wipe when the washer jets are used. It's a good piece of kit, and doesn't need any extra switches.

Missed this James. Would be good if I could try the stalk. Bring it up at Xmas. No rush.

Mark

Having spent a good deal of yesterday messing about with the intermittent wipers on my 90, I thought posting this might be useful...

I was having periodic unpredictable issues with the wipers, mainly them stopping in mid wipe, plus the variable intermittent wasn't variable. I thought this was probably due to problems with the park switch so I changed it.

This did not help a lot, so I swapped the whole motor for another one I had. This gave a completely new set of problems - mainly that the wipers would keep going instead of stopping: two swipes instead of just one on intermittent, and sometimes they just would not switch off at all (at any position of the wiper stalk).

It turns out that the problem was still the park switch. The issue is that the park switch actually has two functions: as well as having a contact which keeps current flowing to the motor until it is in the park position, it also uses the same contacts to short circuit the windings of the motor when the motor reaches the park position. The reason for this is that short circuiting the motor generates a back EMF which overcomes the momentum of the motor and stops it dead. Without this contact the momentum in the motor can be sufficient to carry the wipers past the park position. At best this means the wipers stop in an indeterminate position somewhere near the bottom of the screen, at worst the wipers just keep going (regardless of what position the wiper stalk is in) because the momentum is sufficient to carry the motor past the park position completely.

To make matters even more difficult to diagnose, the latter effect (wipers just keep going) in my case seemed only to happen when the motor had warmed up a bit. I guess this was because the grease in the gearbox got a bit more fluid but it meant that I put the whole lot back together again thinking I had cured the problem once before I realised it was rather more complex than it at first appeared.

The park switch is operated by a cam on the gear wheel within the motor gearbox. This cam pushes a pin in the switch which first opens the contact to stop current to the motor and then shorts the contact to the earth pin to spike the motor back EMF. The pin only needs to move a very short distance to open the first contact, but it needs to move quite a bit further to short the other one. The problem was that the cam on the gear was not thick enough to push the pin all the way to the 'short' position. The cure was to remove the cam from the gear and put two M4 washers behind it so as to effectively make it thicker, thus pushing the pin to the fully shorted position.

(I can post pictures if required to clarify this.)

The other important factor so far as the variable intermittent wipe is concerned is that the timer relay looks for the short circuit of the two contacts to tell it when the wipers have got back to the park position so if the short circuit is not happening it can't detect the time the driver has set for the wiper delay, and hence it will appear that the delay relay is not working since it is only possible to get the default time of 4 - 6 seconds.

Hopefully that explanation will save someone else some troubleshooting time. Apologies if it's already posted and I'm teaching you all to suck eggs!

Nick.

Well,

I brought one of these relays a while ago, but as a lot of things it got put somewhere this thread and the removal of my binnacle to fit my X-Defend Column I looked everywhere and although I found a load of stuff that I had been looking for I couldn't find the relay.

Onto eBay and and a new relay ordered

On my 03 TD5 the intermittent relay is a red one..

wp000478.jpg

wp000480k.jpg

Swap them over and Barbara is your dad's transvestite brother Robert.

It works really well and should be a great modification.

Jason.

Brilliant :)

I'd missed the variable wipe since getting the 110 .... it never seems to rain at precisely the correct intensity for the standard intermittent wipe of a Defender.

My previous car was an Alhambra and I still have a drawer full of electrical spares for it ...... and what should I find in there? Yep! the right relay.... yippeee :)

Thanks for bringing this thread to the top again :D

EDIT: Lol turns out there are two in the drawer .... do I do the rear wiper as well?

does anyone have recommendations for a button to do wipers and wash wipe so an extra (passenger) button could be fitted.

Pikey - ok, will do

Carling make an Off-On-Momentary On switch which I've previously used for almost that! The first 'On' stays on while the second momentary contacts close. Available from MUD I believe!

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Well Guys after reading this post a couple of weeks ago I got on the Bay of Evil and ordered myself a second hand relay, fitted it today in under ten minutes in the rain and tried it out strait away, brilliant idea, why don't Land rover fit this from new, well done to the original poster. Spike.

No just intermittent on td5 hence why I have changed mine.

Jason

And the same reason I've changed mine, TD5, and on the way home yesterday had light rain, and so put the Variable intermittent wipers to full use, Excellent little mod. Spike.