Seven Sister 4

TJ101

HI all,

must say i had one of the best weekends i have had for a very very long time. The learning curve was as steep as the food prices at the Abercrave (thank god for Chinese) and the atmosphere was superb. I am in awe of what my bog standard rangie can do -i chickened out way way before it did on most of the course.

Final tally on problems:

1 rather large dent on rear quarter (but i cleared all the punches on section 6 with just 1 tug the whole way through so i'm happy.

1 very bent trackrod (but then i had to replace the ball joints anyway)

1 Light full of condensation

1 very noisy downpipe

Big thanks to:

Les B- lovely motor- sorry you spent the whole w/end nannying me

Millygraham- thanks for the encouragement, apologies if you didn't get stuck enough (perhaps you should get a car that actualy works in puddles- was it 3 recoveries and 8 stalls by then end of the day?)

Paul C- thanks for not snoring- pity about your feet though :P

Gnomey (aka the fearn)- thanks for all the recovery work- how much do i owe you?

Luvvers- great sideslopes- did it 3 times in the end and got less "puckered" every time

TJ101 + Mark- looking forward to seeing you shortly- pop round if you are ever near me

Great to meet the rest of you too- i look forward to more of the piccies

Awards:

Award for having more tools in back of car than in my toolshed- Mr Mat Neale

Cleanest Winch- The off road Guru (mr lovejoy)

Grumpiest in the morning- Mr Fearn

Most unwilling to be recovered when car is ****ed for the 90th time- Mr Challis and his sodding lift pump

Getting famously stuck- John the Turbocharger (was it 3 hours or 4?)

Causing the most pollution- Me i fear

Casusing the most random damage- Tim Jones- after spending 2 days getting every punch available with no damage he then ****s it all up putting the car on the trailer- how is the door now tim?

Looking forward to the next one already.

Jim

p.s. Spoke to my mate Tom in the village just now- he's going off to be a fighter pilot

p.p.s Chris thanks for all the jokes really!

Awards:

Award for having more tools in back of car than in my toolshed- Mr Mat Neale

Awww..... shucks...... :D

Actually, according to Luvvers, I've a milling machine and a lathe secreted in the back of the truck somewhere too... I've not found it yet

Glad you enjoyed the weekend anyway Jim.

As for awards - I think we ought to have one for "best lookalike" - It would seem that our Mr Turbocharger is trying to become an off-road guru himself by emulating that best known of all armchair offroaders, Mr Lovejoy himself.... Scary really. :)

Got home at about 7 tonight - just about to fall into bed now... been a long few days...

Anyway I'm off...

Matt

PS

Now, there was this old couple......

;)

www.somerset4x4response.org.uk

Well, that rocked. Punches at just the right level for us with plenty to winch off. I'm still learning very fast, about my winch, my plasma, my vehicle but most of all about my team. I really believe that when we were working well together it was worth more than any kit we could have brought.

• Easiest punch - On a rocky, muddy kinda slope near some trees
  • Hardest punch - On a rocky, muddy kinda slope near some trees
  • Most variable punch - No 25 (Matt Neale's roofrack)
  • Funniest moment - Si convincing one of the castle's residents(!) that he was a German shepherd called Sven.
  • Least funny moment - that beardy one leaning over from his breakfast armchair and stealing my toast :P
  • Most stuck - to Keir (TroddenMasses) for keeping up the TeamNutter record by breaking down so comprehensively he had to call the police out to close a section of motorway.

Cracking weekend, thanks to all those who put in effort organising and marshalling it, especially the J33P crowd. Looking forward to more photos (forgot my camera this time)

[*]Least funny moment - that beardy one leaning over from his breakfast armchair and stealing my toast :P

forward to more photos (forgot my camera this time)

Are you allowed to call your Father "that beardy one" ? :lol:

What happened to Keir then ???? :o

Fantastic weekend B) :D Loved every minute of it, thanks to everyone who organised it and everyone who had to put up with me getting overexcited :huh:

Best moment: Sliding down the bank at the waterfall whilst setting up the winch pull and actually landing on my feet at the bottom... if I hadn't looked so suprised when I landed I would have looked quite proffessional! :rolleyes:

Proudest moment: Having a bigger bar of chocolate than Paul ;)

Weirdest moment: Having to have the window open when I went to bed last night as I was too hot in the house!

Great to meet everyone and as usual I learned a load. Only having one real muck-up all weekend (on the gully near the bridge, thanks to Paul/Fruity/Oh beardy one/etc. for helping, I really didn't have a clue what to do) was good and what I learnt there helped alot on later punches, we were flying through the rock gullies after that. I'm starting to like this punch challenge thing a little bit too much, more learning to do I feel.

For the first time out with the winches we didn't do too bad: 29 punches on Dan and mine's card when we stopped at 1pm on Sunday (and we couldn't find that blasted Jeep with punch 25 either!). Not bad for a team only on their 2nd outing.

Thanks again guys, loved every minute.

Jen

What happened to Keir then ???? :o

Driving back over the Severn Bridge in the rather heavy fog, the 90 just died on me. I was pretty sure straight away that I had just run out of fuel, as I have not got a working fuel gauge, and had not stopped for fuel when I thought about it because Lucy had my wallet. I coasted to a stop conveniently next to an emergency telephone, and tried to get out of the vehicle to fill the vehicle from the jerry can which I always carry in the back. Unfortunately, the hard shoulder there is VERY thin - about the width of a 90! I 'toothpasted' out through the passenger window, and tried to work out what to do next. Lorries were emerging from the fog about 40 feet away from me, then passing within about 6 inches. I picked up the emergency phone, told them my problem, and within about 3 minutes Gwent traffic police had turned up and closed lane 1 for me. Quick fill up, bleed the system and away we go. The police man asked me what the problem was, and I wasn't sure if I would end up with lots more questions if I had said that I had run out of fuel, so I told him that I thought it was water in the fuel - much easier.

All in all, a fantastic weekend. Thanks to the organisers and all who set out. I think that we got 23 punches in the day and a half - not too bad for our first ever event. I am not the competetive sort, so just enjoyed collecting the punches that I could, and saying 'stuff that' to the ones that required absailing gear just to get a person to. Thanks again for a brilliant weekend.

Another great 7S weekend even though the 90 did go pear shaped. JST hope the pics I took of you in the waterfall were OK. I'm sure Darth will have a shedful of embarassing photos of me stuck/being pulled out. Thanks (again) to those who helped A LOT on Saturday afternoon/evening. Tim, Darth and Mark thanks for letting me pootle with you on Sunday afternoon, that trip along the Maxi Trial was awsome.

Yeay!!! Was well groovy!

As fruity pointed out, getting the punch at the waterfall made it all worth it... even the camping!! :ph34r::blink:

smallImgp3186.jpg

Hmmm.... saturday morning frost... thank god for thermal underware! :lol:

smallImgp3190.jpg

Breakfast

smallImgp3194.jpg

Going down!

smallImgp3215.jpg

Moo tried the waterfall punch first, but couldn't get it :lol:

smallImgp3229.jpg

Gettin the punch at the waterfall B)

smallImgp3244.jpg

Ouch... a bit more tree rash!

A big thanks to Paul, Fruity and Luvvers who's help in places was beyond the call of duty!

As everyone else has said, it was a fantastic weekend - amazing weather, enough punches to keep you occupied if you felt like it, and miles and miles of tracks to explore when you wanted a change. Saw a load more of the site on sunday when we went exploring, but I still don't recon I've seen half of it yet! :D The GPS log still shows large areas that I didn't head into, so I'll have to have a look at them next time...

Thankfully the only damage sustained was a slightly bent track rod which I managed to persuade back into shape for the journey back. PTO guard proved its worth, sliding over a number of things with no damage to anything underneath and not getting me caught up :D

Here's a few of my photos. The best 82 I've put up here although I took 309 so there's plenty more of various people. If anyone wants any large copies emailed, a CD made up of all of them, or if you want any for TOR David? then let me know.

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5246.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5289.jpg

IMG_5291.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

Jonathan recreating his "Oh dear I appear to be stuck" pose, perfected this time last year...

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

Thanks to everyone involved, Jonathan and I really enjoyed it.

Richard

Yer as Richard said i really enjoyed it so thanks to all involved in organisation side of things. Cheers to everyone in our group, as with most events the group of people we were with worked well together and had a good time. Will definately be back again sometime soon as want to see more parts of the site i have not yet discovered. Only bent the track rod so no big deal just a lack of concentration and a rock in the way, manage the 200 mile trip home no problem, now just the decisions of whether to replace it with standard or uprated while im replacing it.

Gary hope you sorted your CV or whatever the problem was with your front axle.

Cheers

Jon

Well, another Seven Sisters event,, Weather wise, would cost a fortune to book any better, as some of Darth's pictures show, excellent weekend and venue

Thanks to J33P (Angela) for sorting it all out again, David,Fruity,Paul,Les,Matt, for all the time & effort put in (and Matt's sweat, with Gary cv)

And also our little team, for the excellent company for the weekend,

James(JST)/opps forgot,

Gary(Pickup90)/Glassbolt,

Richard(Darthdicky)Office team David Bailey /Tom&Tom Girlfriend

and my bitch Mark (Savage) Thanks Guys

I broke the first rule of offroading,,forgot the camera !!, tell a lie, remember the camera, but forgot the battery ;) so only a before & after pic

100_1546.jpg

100_1552.jpg

Good job Darth was there !!! :D

DATE PLEASE FOR NEXT YEAR !!! 7S 5

Yer as Richard said i really enjoyed it so thanks to all involved in organisation side of things. Cheers to everyone in our group, as with most events the group of people we were with worked well together and had a good time. Will definately be back again sometime soon as want to see more parts of the site i have not yet discovered. Only bent the track rod so no big deal just a lack of concentration and a rock in the way, manage the 200 mile trip home no problem, now just the decisions of whether to replace it with standard or uprated while im replacing it.

Gary hope you sorted your CV or whatever the problem was with your front axle.

Cheers

Jon

we had to strip the cv down on the side of the track as it had jammed the steering in full right lock.

got him mobile about 1800. but minus a front CV.

not much fun as we couldn't turn the wheel to get at the brake caliper bolts so had to strip the whole assembly off the axle tube. Even that was not fun as we couldn't undo one of the bolts fully with the spanner as the disc was in the way. Turning a 12 point bolt with a screwdriver in the cold and dark is not fun. (:

thank god matt had bought the a complete CKD garage with him.

all that was missing was the big gas heater

Well, another Seven Sisters event,, Weather wise, would cost a fortune to book any better, as some of Darth's pictures show, excellent weekend and venue

Thanks to J33P (Angela) for sorting it all out again, David,Fruity,Paul,Les,Matt, for all the time & effort put in (and Matt's sweat, with Gary cv)

And also our little team, for the excellent company for the weekend,

James(JST)/opps forgot,

Gary(Pickup90)/Glassbolt,

Richard(Darthdicky)Office team David Bailey /Tom&Tom Girlfriend

and my bitch Mark (Savage) Thanks Guys

I broke the first rule of offroading,,forgot the camera !!, tell a lie, remember the camera, but forgot the battery ;) so only a before & after pic

100_1546.jpg

100_1552.jpg

Good job Darth was there !!! :D

DATE PLEASE FOR NEXT YEAR !!! 7S 5

Dates.

Shire LRC have asked us to set one up for them may/june ish to be confirmed. This will allow us to put out more interesting punches :) as well as the normal ones.

Tim

How did you manage to transfer the dent from the osf wing to the nsf wing ?

Tim

How did you manage to transfer the dent from the osf wing to the nsf wing ?

No Guilty !! Nothing to do with me !!! :rolleyes: ask previous owner !!

if anyone has a pair of wings, pm me please,

all i bust over the weekend was the l/h door, and that was only putting her back on the trailer, !! darn thing don't want to shut now

No Guilty !! Nothing to do with me !!! :rolleyes: ask previous owner !!

if anyone has a pair of wings, pm me please,

all i bust over the weekend was the l/h door, and that was only putting her back on the trailer, !! darn thing don't want to shut now

i don't have any wings but the hybrid sounds buggered.

drop it round the shop one day this week and i'll take it off your hands for a while just to make sure it works

can't say fairer than that can I?

i don't have any wings but the hybrid sounds buggered.

drop it round the shop one day this week and i'll take it off your hands for a while just to make sure it works

can't say fairer than that can I?

you couldn't handle it :)

Gary, sorry we missed you late Sat. Hope things are getting there with the wagon.

Tim, cant believe the door issue, whats going on there then.

i will second the front wing demand, just a left and right needed for mine if anyone has a spare.

Richard would love a CD will drop you a pm.

Tim, Gary, Jon, Richard, Mark - thank you all for a top Sat, next year will def be both days.

Jon, note front axle guard in photo problems - bigger tyres would help as well though.

Tim, my name is Jon not Tom, but im sure you called me Jon over the weekend so im not offended. And my useless winch bitch doesnt want to come off roading again for at least another year, i just can't see why she doesnt enjoy it really, i only sprayed her with mud a few times :lol:

Jon

Tim, my name is Jon not Tom, but im sure you called me Jon over the weekend so im not offended. And my useless winch bitch doesnt want to come off roading again for at least another year, i just can't see why she doesnt enjoy it really, i only sprayed her with mud a few times :lol:

Jon

Sorry Jon,, I know it Jon,, where the Tom came from, :blink::huh: not a clue,, slapped wrist administered,,

I think it was a case of being frozen solid and slightly bored to tears with Mrs Jon

James,, re the door ,,good question,not had a chance to have a look yet,,but put her on the trailer, and then the door would not catch on the striker !!

Well, Seven Sisters, what a site! Very fine off-roading on an absolutely vast site.

Met some nice people and generally had a good time despite the poor value of the accomodation.

Some photos........

At the start of the first day the J**p that was with us found this stone.....

7s1.jpg

......and caused this hole!!!!

7s2.jpg

Late on the second day we found the water fall.......

7s3.jpg

.......then I found the water......

7s5.jpg

.......luckily I switched the engine off as it went under and managed to drain the water from the sump, about 3 pints!!

Very much looking forward to next time.