Darien Gap

pugwash

Having read the articles on the Darien gap crossing a number of times i have a few questions:

Opinions are sought on the following:

1. Would anybody else like to do it as a trip of a lifetime?

2. How much backup would be realistically needed? is it achievable (without seriusly risking life) without manufacturer/corporate support?

3. Would a challenge truck be significantly more effective than the range rover that last did it?

4. How long would it realistically take to prepare and achieve?

Having read the articles on the Darien gap crossing a number of times i have a few questions:

1. Would anybody else like to do it as a trip of a lifetime? YES

2. How much backup would be realistically needed? is it achievable (without seriusly risking life) without manufacturer/corporate support? LOTS

3. Would a challenge truck be significantly more effective than the range rover that last did it? I expect so

4. How long would it realistically take to prepare and achieve? 12 MTHS MIN

How much wold it cost? LOADS!

I hope you do it - I did a couple of trips when I was younger and they were a fantastic experience, I would love to re-live the preparation and the event through your posts... You ARE going to post lost about it aren't you?

TwoSheds

(p.s. each of my trips - excluding vehicle - cost approximately a year's salary for a six month trip. Edited: per person..., first trip was 4 in a Land Rover and second was two on a bike)

I didn't say i was going to do it, well not yet anyway :D

i've had the itch for a while to do something significant that takes a bit of planning and hard work and the crossing of the Darien gap is something i've always wanted to achieve. I've had the usual Overland thing for a while (but that is only challenging from a time point of view). the long way round is faintly interesting but not amazingly "challenging" in a truck i wouldn't have thought. I'd love to do the Dakar rally but that will have to wait until I have some experience of speed events and when i have earnt some serious money!

One that always interested me was "the longest shortest journey in the world". i.e. travel from A to B by the shortest route, but choose A and B so that you maximise the distance. I reckon that would be Capetown to Punta Arenas, crossing the Bering strait. Unfortunately somebody did it a few years ago. I always fancied it in an open top car too just to make it interesting... :o

Yes, I had been pondering along similar lines in fact for a future (distant future) expedition such as the Hannibal Trail which I think made up one of the Camel events.

2. How much backup would be realistically needed? is it achievable (without seriusly risking life) without manufacturer/corporate support?

That very much depends on lots of things.

3. Would a challenge truck be significantly more effective than the range rover that last did it?

More capable yes but I wouldn't fancy a UK challenge truck as an expedition vehicle.

Start planning now, I'll time you.

apart form the fact that a Seris 2 lead most of the way and did most of the scouting :)

I was going to say I thought they had a Series (or maybe a couple) carrying spares and things. I think they also cut the arches out to fit big tyres on the RR's and then put replacement arches on near the end for PR. Seem to recall someone (probably partnumbers) pointed out in some of the photos they have big tyres and cut arches, yet the RR parked in the museum has normal arches and tyres.

Once again Series shows the way then B)

I was going to say I thought they had a Series (or maybe a couple) carrying spares and things. I think they also cut the arches out to fit big tyres on the RR's and then put replacement arches on near the end for PR. Seem to recall someone (probably partnumbers) pointed out in some of the photos they have big tyres and cut arches, yet the RR parked in the museum has normal arches and tyres.

Once again Series shows the way then B)

I think your right Jon Part numbers used to say that. But the funny bit was the seris was totally standard and was bought out there second hand and not taken with them , was bought as they need a scout car smaller as the rr could not get though

DarienBk01.jpg

Although a couple of seris 2 did do the trip in 1960 well beofre the rr was even thought of

1960 Darien Gap trip

Winch.jpg

Hi Folks

Lovely idea, personally I cant go, but will like to support in anyway possible, what about if someone dug out the film that was made off the first go I would love to see it, it might also get some one cranked up for it.

What about doing it in the year when the RRC is 40 years just an idea, might then be possible to get some more media coverage.

The time schedule would be oki I think

Regards

Ole

American Jeep legend Mark A Smith lead a party of Jeep CJ's through in the seventies. There's a good account in his book 'Driven by a Dream. They did it in 33 days. Took 2-yrs of planning.

"Is it achievable (without seriously risking life)" We're talking Colombia. Kidnap capital of the world. NO! Get used to jungle food because chances are, once you're in, you aint never coming out for some time.

Story of one adventurer here. He was lucky, one french woman has just been released after 6 yrs as a hostage.

Puggers,

The Darien Gap straddles Panama and Colombia, travel advice here and here from the foreign office suggests that Colombia may not be the safest place to plan a trip to.

I don't want to pee in your cornflakes just offering another facet for you to consider.

HTH

Mo

we have had vapour builds now we need vapour trips

Hehe vapour travels........now thats going to be a crowded ship...... :P

...Its not just the politics, theres also 200km+ where you need amphibious qualities too....from memory even the RRC's that needed many axles also spent some considerable time on 2 large Avons, and I'm not talking about tyres :lol:

.....anyway the Darien gap is incomplete without the rest of the Trans- American Highway

Anyone know how the guys with the tracked/wheeled/amphibious 110 are doing on just such a trip?

aaaaaaahhhhhh vapour travels.....I'm home at last :lol:

cheers

Steveb

i would like to make this clear that this whole thread concerns a VAPOUR TRIP that is only a dream in my fragile little mind at the moment.

Lets see how you get on with a Europe trip first eh? :P After the first one you might consider refineing your camping kit...

Chris

so what didnt puggers take to europe?

Nothing. That was the point really. His tent (for one) weighed about 80kg, would have been more at home at a Buckingham Palace garden party and took three to errect/collapse. He also had so much stuff in his bag that he had to entirely empty it and stack it's contents around his tent each night in order to find anything.

Chris