winch bumpers

bigblue110

looking at finally getting myself a winch bumper for the rover but theres too many different designs. must be really solid as its going ona 110 which i use as general shunt truck round the farm,so has to be up for taking a real beating but open to suggestions. anyone know of any good deals on sed item? a pic and where you got it from/links would be great!!

another question what sort of wieght pull winch would people suggest for a half decent loaded 110, id probably say bigger is better?? but then i know nothing about them, just that iv found myself needing one on several occasions.

cheers andy

Ok

My winch bar,

Standard ARB bumper with Warn 9000 winch, with IPF off road spot lights. Arb ones are really stong and will take alot to bend them. Better than most "in my mind" for what you want

My warn 9000 or simular would be fine for what you want if you want more power then you can double line the cable

PICT0478.JPG

Guest diesel_jim

I've got the cheapy copy of this one ^^^^ made by BRB in Dorset

post-130-1205827336_thumb.jpg

It'll be up for grabs soon(ish) as i've got another one. PM me for details.

Having experienced (and abused) a Southdown bumper on my previous RR, I am seriously contemplating spending my money in that direction when I get that far with the new toy.

Other places that spring to mind as offering excellent quality and close/tidily fitted bumpers are Devon 4x4 and Goldigger (speak with Carl Hurst on here). I've not seen the D4x4 one in the flesh so cannot comment, but the Goldigger one that I fondled at the Donnington show looked to be excellent quality and very reasonably priced compared to some other chocolate makes out there...

It very much depends on the style/size of bumper you are after, though...

i did look at the arb as mentioned just wondered wether anyone had another obvious solution which has so far not made itself known to me.

been on the golddigger site,along with i recon every other bumper producer out there, cant decide wether tubular bumpers would stand upto pushing somthing??? southdown tappered bumper looks good but doesnt offer much in the way of front panel protection, but then i tell myself its a freeking landrover i dont actually give a flying *cough*. ill probably end up making one on a nice long summers night with some cider in tow knowing me, unless something jumps outand sells itself to me

If you want something very heavy duty you could look at one that has been removed from an ex-utility truck.. there are 110's running around here owned by some of the electricity companies wearing winch bumpers I think you could push a house down with...

I'm sure Ebay willcome up trumps, try searching for superwinch...

I've got the cheapy copy of this one ^^^^ made by BRB in Dorset

post-130-1205827336_thumb.jpg

It'll be up for grabs soon(ish) as i've got another one. PM me for details.

O/T Are those Insa Turbos you have on there? What are they like on the road?

Cheers,

Paul

Guest diesel_jim
O/T Are those Insa Turbos you have on there? What are they like on the road?

Cheers,

Paul

nah, they're the real deal... simex's. 35x10.5x16's quite noisy on the road. handle OK for "that" type of tyre.

cant decide wether tubular bumpers would stand upto pushing somthing??? southdown tappered bumper looks good but doesnt offer much in the way of front panel protection, but then i tell myself its a freeking landrover i dont actually give a flying *cough*. ill probably end up making one on a nice long summers night with some cider in tow knowing me, unless something jumps outand sells itself to me

I've seen various tubular bumpers take a harsh beating and not so much as even flinch, at the same time I've seen one (home made) that look very strong from the outside, but the tube was surprisingly thin walled and just bent back when driven into an earth bank.

For shunting stuff about the farm at home we just use a standard G wagon. If you rope an old tyre to the bumper this absorbs a lot of the shock loads which helps the bumper a lot.

Not the best photo of the bumper as it's still in construction. I decided to not have a bumper as such, nor a hawse / fairlead. Instead just a tubular frame which the cable can run over.

post-74-1205887640_thumb.jpg

I'll post a better pic once the 8274 is installed.

Si

Not the best photo of the bumper as it's still in construction. I decided to not have a bumper as such, nor a hawse / fairlead. Instead just a tubular frame which the cable can run over.

post-74-1205887640_thumb.jpg

I'll post a better pic once the 8274 is installed.

Si

Which way does it drive!?! :blink:;)