Steering Guard

muddyplugger

I'd like your expert opinions on the pros/cons of steering guards, I have made the decision to go for 8mm Aluminium, but does this type of guard plough up the ground and get snagged:

GAL048aGUARD.jpg

or should I choose a smoother type but that may not drain all the cr@p out after my muddy exploits?:

underb8.jpg

My wife just can't see the turmoil in my life!!! :lol:

It really depends what your going to use it for. If your using it heavily off road then it has to be a solid one; the holed ones just bend too easily. For anything serious 8mm is only just up to the job; in a big impact it'll be destroyed. My personal preferance is a 5mm steel, twin skined one.

The holed ones don't hang up, at least not in my experience, though I suppose you could hook a pointy rock through a hole but I doubt it would be a big problem. You do get lots of muddy sausages when you hit something soft though :)

I like the holed ones because if you do get a buildup of cack behind the blade you can stick a pressure washer through the holes to blast it out, which you obviously can't do if there are no holes :rolleyes:

I've got a Rebel one on mine, picked up a few scars but I haven't bent it yet!

I've got a Matt Lee steering guard on mine. It came with the vehicle. The only holes in it are where 'MJL' has been cut through. It's made out of heavy ali. With heavy use I've managed to give it some scaring but not bent it (yet). Cleaning it isn't really a problem either. I don't think that Matt makes them any more though, I can't find them on the website.

Guest diesel_jim
The holed ones don't hang up, at least not in my experience, though I suppose you could hook a pointy rock through a hole but I doubt it would be a big problem. You do get lots of muddy sausages when you hit something soft though :)

:D:D:D:D LOL!!!

Are they really necessary?

I had no problems on hybrid without one and same with Jon before me. Also you see plenty of Challenge trucks running without them.

Decent track rod protection seems more important to me.

Cheers

Steve

Yep, plenty don't run them and I can see their reasoning but I would always use one. IMHO, its better to bend a steering gaurd than rip the steering box off :unsure:

I've also never had a problem cleaning my steering gaurd. I just point the pressure washer down from above the gaurd and all the clag comes out.

i thought the holes were there to reduce the suction effect of the mud. Try putting a flat piece of steel/ali on top of mud and then pulling it back up. It is hard work. Holes reduce this suction but thats just my two pennies worth and i probably talking complete twaddle.

I had no problems on hybrid without one and same with Jon before me. Also you see plenty of Challenge trucks running without them.

Cheers

Steve

I work on the principle that if I am going to belt something on a rock (which I try and avoid anyway) I'd rather it was attached to the chassis than being attached to something expensive and ultimately breakable (steering box/swivel housing). It seems to be that you could (I don't know if people actually do) break either end if you strengthen the bar to the point of no longer being the weakest link.

I accept though, that you can get better clearance with not having a guard on the front, quite a lot better in some cases.

Also with an angled guard if you hit something like a bank quite hard, or even bury the front end in a swamp, it tends to shove the front up and you slow down but keep going, where a standard tubular Land Rover steering protector will dig in and you'll stop pretty quick. I guess the same thing would happen with a bare draglink, except you'd bend it if it was just a normal one.

I just don't like the thought of having expensive fragile sticky out bits, I'd rather have a cheap expendable and reasonably robust sticky out bit covering them up :)

Cheers

Steve

I run a steel twin skin belly guard and have still bent the drag link I have to run sumo bars as well .

if you watch the likes if the outback challange DVD you will see very few cars running with a belly guards(JAP) mainly due to the steering gear being alot stronger and up and over the axle so it is out of harms way.

If you drive round Brickiln farm or Minstead down here in the south you will do well to leave without damaged stearing as tree stumps take out you trak rod and there are very few people in the Shires that can say it has not happend to them

Smooth ones are supposed to help with the bow-wave when wading, not sure how much difference it really makes though.

Dad has a solid type on the RR and it has deflected a few tree stumps where I suspect one with holes would have snagged on them and bent. No real problem with mud buildup, it tends to have fallen off by the time we get home :rolleyes:

Smooth ones are supposed to help with the bow-wave when wading, not sure how much difference it really makes though.

Holy steering guard bow wave :huh:

PC310091.jpg

never tried it with a solid one but the water level in the engine bay was not that high as I got out to check the air filter afterwards (I knew the snorkel was not sealed!) so it doesn't appear to be a problem

When I first bought the nas I purchased both a steering guard and axle guard from Southdown in solid carbon steel. I very soon sold the axle guard at Sodbury because it acted as a sledge keeping the front wheels off the ground. In fact the Horsham boys gave me an ultimatum, the guard goes or no more pull-outs! My steering guard sits higher than the ones shown in your pictures, has been bent, straightened and strenthened on many occasions and being carbon steel is much easier to work with than aluminium. The 2 in your pictures look very bling but will reduce your approach angle, in my humble opinion (I think on this forum that should be IMHO but I have only just understood Bling).

Thanks guys, I guess the jury is out and depends on personal preference, reading your experiences I think I can justify bending a steering guard rather than bending some of the other bits.

The photos I used were just examples and I think it's back to the drawing board for a guard that is:

thick enough to stop the accidental knock

shallow enough to maintain the approach angle

high enough so not to belly out

soild enough to create a bow wave

not so bling to get laughed at

and cheap enough so I can buy a few beers with the change!!! :lol:

Yep,

I have a MJL one, 10mm Lai and Stainless sides.

I have modded it, so that it isn't as long, and doesn't come down as deeply, tweak on a big press brake and a bit of tig welding, still protects the RR type steering box.

The quality of matt Lee stuff is good, these guards are quite sort after, and he no lobnger makes them as dural alloy and stinless 6mm sides all laser cut was too expensive, and people bleated they were too much money....

Suspension-Testing-018Medium.jpg

Old sodbury (1st April) might have a few around...

I prefer solid, when you hit something really hard the holes ones can bend much easier....

frankly 10mm dural alloy and 6mm steel there aint much in it weight wise, but alloy looks nicer longer....

Nige