Straps or chains under propeller shafts for safety?

Hi,

Another issue regarding safety in a LR Defender that I hear a lot about but can´t make up my mind whether it is correct or not:

Is it a wise idea to fit chains or rubbers straps under the fron and rear propshafts in order to prevent the front of the shaft falling to the floor (with the risk that the shaft falls into a pothole or fissure in the road and sends the vehicle out of control)?

Some people here say it is safer to fit this kind of strap or chain so that if a universal joint fails then the porpshaft will not fall to the floor.

Is fitting these straps a good idea?

Is it popular in the UK as a safety measure?

I am referring to something like this:

0506or14z1970fordf100drzy1.jpg

Thanks for your opinions

Regards

SG

Personally I think it is better to grease the UJ's so they don't fall off :lol:

Anybody who lets a UJ get to a state where is actually separates must be bluddy deaf or asleep. They usually wake up when the prop starts beating dents into the bottom of the floor though :lol:

I've never seen anything like that before, though I suppose it might help. A rear 110 prop separating from the transfer box and digging into the road certainly makes a bang, seen it happen right in front of me once and the back end did a lovely pole vault just before it tied the prop round the back axle and wiped out the exhaust and brake lines :)

Agree, never heard of them being fitted to a LR and as long as you maintain & inspect the prop regularly I can't see the need for them.

Surely the strap is likely to catch on anything sticking up in the middle of the track and then cause more damage by being ripped off?

Mythbusters tried dropping a prop shaft onto the road at speed and proved that there is little if any danger.

Chris

Chris

I saw that episode. They also dispelled the myth about tying a winch rope around a post and the back axle and it being ripped off when the car drove away

Oh, it happened to me once!

The front prop fall down from transfer box, but not because I am deaf or asleep. :P

It was circlip that holds UJ's cup, poped out followed by the cup and then the prop. It happened so quickly :blink: Very, very unpleasant feeling...

The UJ has been changed 1 day ago in a workshop. Now, I'm not sure if it was workshop fault or rubbish circlip and probably I will never find out.

So, I think some kind of strap under the prop is very good idea.

That sort of thing is for tractor pullers and drag racers etc where exploding gearboxes and flailing props may need armour, hardly needed in even the most tuned up of Land Rovers which are totally puny in comparison. That strap would be ripped straight out anyway.

Well.....it seems it is not popular in the UK and aparrently proshafts comming loose is not common.

The school of thought that opposes putting these straps down here claims it will be risky when using the vehicle off road beacuse the strap can get caught by a rock, etc while the people who agree it is something worth doing say you loose nothing by installing it.......

My thinking has alway been: if these things are not installed by factory (and they would certainly no be expensive to fit) there must be a reason...

Thanks

Santiago

Got one of those on my tractor for the PTO, never seen one on a Land Rover

John

if a P38a RR counts as a Land Rover ;) it has two fitted from the factory. A bit more robust though, as it's a U shaped metal bracket.

Maybe, their thought process was that a RR owner is unlikely to be found under their vehicle with a grease gun! ;)

Steve

Since I'm deaf I had a rear prop UJ let go at the axle end while I was climbing a hill. I hadn't realised I was so close to pole-vaulting death! Since the centre diff was unlocked the car stopped pretty quickly, the prop bounced and rattled a bit but no harm done.

I took the remains of the prop off (leaving the broken spider in the axle end since it wasn't far to get home). 100yds later the handbrake drum left the car in a shower of sparks, bounced twice and then shot into the hedge. It seems the PO of my gearbox didn't include the countersunk screw which should hold the drum on. I stopped the car (in gear), fretted about in the hedge to find the drum and threw it in the back with the prop, and then took the whole thing home again.

If you've ever driven a LR with the front floor missing, it makes you appreciate how close the front prop is to your feet although I can't say it's driven me to think about prop-catchers.

IIRC and I'm sure GBMUD will correct me if I am, jonny boy had a prop part company on his Disco which ended up making a large hole in his gearbox bell housing ! Blue disco on here also had a similar thing happen which resulted in, luckily for him, a smaller ignorable hole in his bell housing.

Mo

IIRC and I'm sure GBMUD will correct me if I am, jonny boy had a prop part company on his Disco which ended up making a large hole in his gearbox bell housing !

Wrong, wrong, you are quite wrong! :P It made a big hole in the side of the autobox itself, let all the oil out and needed a new box.

Chris

We had a 130 in the other day with a completely destroyed front prop which somehow didn't fall off or bash things to bits, but there was no drive. It must have sounded awful. I'll post a photo next week to show you all what it looked like. So chummy puts in the diff lock and drives on, for a week or two it seems like. Eventually one drive member stripped and that was the end of motion. If he had stopped a bit earlier he could have got by with a recon prop shaft, but it was FUBAR so he got a big bill. New prop shaft, half shafts, drive members, 2 wheel bearings at the back, etc etc.

And when we took it for a test drive it needed 3l of oil to the full mark and oil was dripping out of the exhaust, so that means a new turbo as well. Not that the two happenings are possibly connected.

Landys have to be looked after, not driven until they can go no further.

There is lying in the hedge of a house on my daily walk the the station the spider from a lorry UJ. It is clear why it has parted company from the lorry - the ends of two of the fingers have worn off at an angle of 45 degrees in one plane. Clearly a victim of heroic neglect - the needle bearings must have long gone and leaving those two fingers to run in the bearing cups until they wore so far they popped out. I've been meaning to pick it up for months and if I do I'll post a pic.