Running on waste engine oil

I have been offered once my landy is running right by the garage I work at free waste engine oil to run in a 2.5td, i know that I need a heater to heat it veg oil up but would anybody use waste engine oil as a fuel?

I am thinking of running one tank with a mixture of waste oil,derv and poss some parafin would this work and still lube everything up?

on the legal side:

The wonderfull leaders and chiefs that we voted in! Oh no it didn't work like that :ph34r:

Well anyway they have allow the first 2000 litres of home made fuel to be produced without paying any duty on it. That's a lot of fuel!!!

One question i do have though is how do they prove when you start?

Carry on ice monkey, But the others have a point about the carbon in it, and i can't thinkoff the top of my head how to get the carbon out of oil.

cheers

Neil

I have been offered once my landy is running right by the garage I work at free waste engine oil to run in a 2.5td, i know that I need a heater to heat it veg oil up but would anybody use waste engine oil as a fuel?

I am thinking of running one tank with a mixture of waste oil,derv and poss some parafin would this work and still lube everything up?

It is not entirely impossible. A true diesel will on on just about any combustible fluid. Problem is that modern engines are made specific for diesel fuel. The design of the injectors and injection pump requires clean diesel to work smoothly.

Unless you invent some clever way of filtering the oil you will go through injectors and injection pumps at an alarming rate.

I wish you good luck and hope you have the ressources and knowledge to build a sufficient filtering system

Considering diesel and oil are just different length chains of hydrocarbons then carbon is going to be left behind either way, and 'filtering out' the carbon would be impossible since that's what it is and what is burnt. I think the biggest problem would be that as the oil is a much denser substance with longer hydrocarbon chains its going to be harder to compress and therefore harder to burn. I guess this would leave you with a much more inefficient burn than the diesel which is where the carbon deposits would come from.

Also there's all the carp floating around in it which is why we remove it from the engine so you would need to filter it. I guess you could do it but I would imagine it would be a very inefficient fuel source.

Also I would imagine the engine would run much rougher as when the engine is warm the diesel will burn more easily but the oil will withstand temperatures over 120C without even beginning to vaporize. So even when the engine is warm its not having an easier time burning the fuel.

Carbon or not! The real question is what is going to happen to the synthetic polymers, additives and all kinds of enhancers they mix into the engine oil nowadays?

Also, dirty engine oil has microscopic metal particles that it's supposed to remove from the engine to prevent them from grinding the gears. It will end up in your fuel system.

Vegetable oil can also contain all kind of carp, but at least that would be non-abrasive organic carp that stands a good chance of getting burnt.

I have seen many threads about it on the Cummins forums I visit. Some run very high %. Cummins used to have a oil recycling system that constantly changed the engine oil whilst the vehicle was in use by taking out a small amount and replenishing it via an onboard supply of fresh oil. The old engine oil was put directly into the fuel system and burned with the diesel. I think Cummins said it was OK to run waste motor oil upto 5% but some of the Cummins guys run much higher than that on the Mechanical I/Ps anyway. Here is a link to a thread but there are many more http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/sho...light=waste+oil

Gaza

The other point which I am amazed at is that your garage think they can loose 2499 litres!

Apparently most commercial operations these days have to be able to demonstrate prrof of correct disposal for a very similar amount of fluids as they have purchased new liquids for (e.g. paint shops using thinnners are sometimes checked to ensure if they bought 2k litres of thinners then a very similar amount is correctly disposed of - thus preventing incorrect disposal).

I would have thought the same is true for engine oil...

• 13 years later...

I have been using filters wvo for years now in a mer62.9 with mechanical pump the veg oil is filtered to 0.5 microns,  the truck runs fine with no derv added, however I am buying a range rover v6 vogue automatic 2006. I am wondering if the vehicle would run on a mix of derv and filtered wvo...would it damage the pump, what dilution rate would be acceptable, would it need to be heated.